Hi I'm Steven & this is my 79 Boler/Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #41

Name: Steven
Trailer: Boler/Scamp
Oklahoma
BUSY!

Man, I've been REALLY busy the last month of so with work and working on the trailer! Heres a few things I've gotten done:

-half of the interior pieces have been stripped of the old paint, sanded, and repainted, only lacking a clear coat. The other half have been stripped of paint and need a little more sanding, but are almost ready for paint.

- Removed the leaking skylight and put a old rain fly over the top to keep it from getting a lot of water in the trailer.

- I also scrubbed the top and sides with CLR mold mildew cleaning which seemed to work pretty well for the most part.

-I didn't have or know anyone that had a sandblaster, so I just used a heavy duty wire wheel to try and knock off as much rust as I could on the frame while I was waiting for the Axel to come in.

-After over 3 weeks (they said 7-10 days lol) My axel finally came in! Cost $350 with elect. Brakes! My buddy and his dad do a lot of welding, so I asked him if he would weld it on for me and I would pay him for it. (the shop was going to charge me $80 an hr, and said it would probably be 2 hrs to do it!) The next week I took the frame up to my buddy's dad's shop and took the old axle off and welded the new one on! (Side note: I thought I would just keep my old rims and get new tires for them. Well, I work for a salvage company and we had bought a couple walmarts and we got the tires in them too. So when I went to go look for the tires I needed, all I could find was ones with rims, that were 5 lug, not 4! I told the guy I wanted a 4 lug axle since I was just going to reuse the rims to save some money. Well I needed up having to pay $45 dollars for dismount, dismount, & remount. and had to paint the old rims to boot! GEEZE that sure didn’t work out how I had planned! lol)

-Once we got the axle on my buddy new I wanted to do some other mods to the trailer and offered to help me do them. One of those mods was to cut out a section of the frame and brace/reinforce it like the door side is. I bought a large door fridge to put under the kitchen cabinet, but based on my measurements, I new it wouldn’t fit. Cutting out that section of the frame and reinforcing like the door side would give me the extra inches I needed to get it in there. �� He Also replace the angle iron in the center floor to add some more support.
Lastly we added a small storage shelf thats removable and can actually be stored under the trailer when its not being use! Also his Dad just happened to have a used tongue jack with a wheel! Mine was broken and I was going to have to order one on Amazon for $35+ dollars. Its not very pretty, but its works great! All in All, I tried to pay him $200 for the 8+ hrs he help me on it, and he would only take $160. (said it was a friend discount lol) He saved me 35 on the jack and a lot of headache on the fridge situation so I think I came out pretty darn good!

-Once I got the trailer home, I started the painting process. I’ve put 3 coats on now, and I’m quite sure I’m happy with it, but It will have to do for now since I have no time to re-due it.

-Next step is to get those last few interior pieces painted and ready to go back in the trailer so that I can start sealing up all the holes and leaking spots before the floor goes back in.

(Pictures to Follow)
LittleBoler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #42

Name: Steven
Trailer: Boler/Scamp
Oklahoma
pics

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
05-IMG_8030.jpg   06-IMG_8031.jpg  

07-IMG_8033.jpg   08-IMG_8159.jpg  

01-IMG_8025.jpg   02-IMG_8027.jpg