Hi, I'm Tom and a "New" Compact Jr. Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Compact Jr
Florida
Smile Hi, I'm Tom and a "New" Compact Jr. Owner

I purchased May 2013 in Crystal River, Fl. The camper had been sitting under a pole barn in Crystal River, FL for 2 years. 6 years prior to that it was sitting in the woods in Alabama being used as a hunting shack. Previous owners flipped the axle to increase ground clearance I assume to get it into the woods. Also the side windows were removed and re-installed upside down. The entrance door mounting frame and the door frame itself appear to be square, tight and rebuildable. The sliding door window has been replaced with plywood and is in terrible shape. Everthing but the frame needs to be rebuilt. The interior is ratty and will be gutted. I look forward to exchanging ideas and solutions during this project with FGC owners.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tom, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Were you ever able to resolve or find a rear door? Don't worry about all the crusty's on the body, we can help you get rid of those too
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Congratulations on the new 'worse for wear' acquisition! These little guys are pretty indestructible Please post 'before' photos, and progress photos... We'd love to follow your progress.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Welcome Tom!
I am in the process of rebuilding http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-jr-49049.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
The entrance door mounting frame and the door frame itself appear to be square, tight and rebuildable. The sliding door window has been replaced with plywood and is in terrible shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I took the door with me to the Lake Casitas rally. There Eric Rassmussen and I deconstructed it into its component pieces. Now I can straighten the bent hinges and put in a better core in the lockset area.
After I broke one of the "L" bracket splines for the window sash that had the broken glass, I decided to scrap the original window-in-the-door and bought a new fixed pane window for when I reassemble the door. (The paper in the lower area of the picture is the new decal.) I just gotta buy new sheet material for the skins of the door and a new lockset.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1465.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Compact Jr
Florida
Smile Door Rebuild

Fredrick,
Thanks for the feedback.... I noticed your fixed window replacement and I was thinking same and obscure. It's just done then. All mounting screws will be ground off with a dremel as to not further damage the glass. I plan to soak the entire aluminum door and frame in a solvent bath to lossen the corrosion all screws and frame fittings before attempting disassembly. The replacement panels will either be aluminum or FRP, depending on the thickness of structural foam insulation panels to replaced the original cardboard material. I will share my progress.
Thanks again,
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Tom