Hi! I'm totally new to camper world! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I agree with Corbin, You can trust your gut to what is going on around you and act on them, by going to campground managers or call in authorities to handle problems or just move on to safer pastures.
You can not go wrong at a KOA campground but a lot others are fine too.
I host the Spring Fling Rally in New England and had a "show and shine" day last year which was open to the outside public.
There were 2 woman, one had her heart set on a Scamp, the other a Casita, by the end of the day they had did a complete 180 and they both saw something they liked or disliked about the camper they though they wanted...too funny.
If you get you camper by next May be sure to mark your calendar for May 17-20 and make reservations early as it will fill up fast.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #22

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
tori, k corbin has given you good advice. "street smarts" is important. i sometimes sleep in my little trailer in non campground places and the cardinal rule is "if it seems weird, bail!". as much as i and, i'm sure, a lot of others here, loath to admit that it is not a "safe" world we live in. but, we can't let that rob us of the joys of doing what we enjoy. i've been a part time vagabond for quite a while and i'm sure that the good guys out there outnumber the baddies by a large margin. i'm lucky to count among my friends people that i've met on the road.

one other thought...perhaps you could give just a bit of consideration of buying a new trailer. sure, it's more $ (but, not that much) than a fully functional used unit. you'd know exactly what you're getting and if, by some chance, you decide it's not something you want to continue, you can recoup darned near what it set you back to begin with (as evidenced by the prices being asked for "non project" fiberglass trailers).

one more thing...think about attending some fiberglass rallies. your can meet the folks and see their "rigs". it really is a great community and always willing to help or at least offer an opinion. oh, and if you don't actually have a trailer, they won't hold that against you.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My 91 year old mother has RV'd, mostly alone but occasionally with a traveling companion, for 32 years since my father passed away. She stays at state parks and private campgrounds, often KOA's. She has never had a problem.

I worry about the driving part more than the camping part, but even then she is likely safer in her RV on the highways than getting groceries around town at home. She has a good roadside assistance plan but has only used it for an occasional dead battery.

She went the motorized RV route to avoid hitching and backing, but they are skills easily mastered with practice. Started with a van-with-a-bed-and-microwave, upgraded to a small Class C, then a larger Class C, now back to a Class B. Her traveling days are winding down, but I find myself encouraging her to keep going as long as it's physically possible.

Go for it! Whether you prefer solitude or being part of a group, there are many ways for a single person to enjoy RV travel.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
something alarming

We have a fairly large trailer park nearby I notice their rv section is getting larger all the time but I have a concern. Knowing the reputation of some of the folks who live in the trailers it concerns me!

Just be careful out there!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
Welcome Tori! I'm single and have found many women who camp solo. I belong to a group of camping ladies from the New England area and we try to get together several times over the spring, summer, and fall months. It's a great support group (as in helping each other with camper maintenance, camping tips, & etc.) and we have crazy fun times when we get together! I have a 13' Scamp and absolutely LOVE it - love camping with groups and/or going solo. My Scamp doesn't have a bathroom / shower - I have a small marine potty (tucks in under the front "bunk" sofa) and use a "sun shower" with shower tent if there's no facility where I'm camped. Go for it - you'll have a blast!!
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #26

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Smile We have a 13' Scamp in Massachusetts for sale

Hi Tori,
I read your post and my husband and I have a Scamp we would be willing to sell. Sounds like it might be a good fit for you and your traveling buddy. It's a 1993 in good shape if you are still interested in purchasing one. I check my email every few days. We are half way between Providence and Boston.
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote