Hi! I'm totally new to camper world! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Tori
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Hi! I'm totally new to camper world!

Hey All!

New England teacher here deciding to try and make the most of my school schedule while I'm young and eager to travel. I want to use a 13' scamp (behind a subaru outback) to visit new places and escape with my dog from boarding school for weekends and breaks. I don't actually have a scamp yet, and I'm new to the idea of camper trailers in general... but I'm thinking basic 13 with no toilet.

Any (single lady) scampers out there that want to reassure me that I can scamp alone with my dog?

Any tips for buying used? Everything on the forums is so far from New England.

Any tips for keeping things as low maintenance as possible? I'm handy and can use power tools... but would rather not sink a bunch of time/funds into fixing maintaining.

Thanks!
tori2shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Your post says New England, but your profile says MI, which is Michigan last I checked. You can edit your profile using the "User CP" link at the left end of the task bar under your log-in information.

Welcome, Tori!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #3

Massachusetts
I move around enough I still use my folk's address in MI as my permanent address. I'll update it to avoid confusion.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Makes sense. MI is actually not a bad place to look for a Scamp. In general, the closer you get to the factory in MN, the more there are. Perhaps your parents could help with the search.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Tori, we are not a "single lady", but we've met plenty of them traveling around the country who are RVing solo. The only thing I'd say is, if it's something you want to do, GO FOR IT, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
You might check out these websites and look for Facebook groups and Pinterest items:
Sisters on the Fly - https://www.sistersonthefly.com/

Girl Camper - http://girlcamper.com/

Good luck and safe travels! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We belong to a vintage camping group in New England. There are some single ladies in the group and some others that are married but camp alone without their spouses. As for finding a used camper in our area, you never know when one will pop up for sale. We bought our Uhaul 20 miles from home, it was in Pittsfield MA. Another Uhaul owner we met that lives in Pittsfield went to Montana to get his, how funny is that. Fiberglass campers usually sell real quick, sometimes the day that they are advertised. But be careful as they are often the object of scammers, mostly on Craigslist.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
One thing on my truck that makes towing easy is a good backup camera. Once I realized what I was looking at, I can clearly see the hitch ball along with the coupler on the trailer. I usually end up right where I need to be without getting out of the truck to look and adjust.

Before I understood the camera view, it would take a second person and several attempts before getting lined up just right.

On maintenance, realize you are taking a "house" up and down the highway. That puts stress on everything. Much more stressful to the trailer than a stationary house. You are either going to spend time on maintenance, or money.

Now if you get an older trailer, you not only have routine continual maintenance, but rehabilitation maintenance. So those you have to refurbish first, then continue maintenance.

Also there is storage. I much, much prefer to store my camper under cover, in my case a carport. But a lot of people don't have the room for such a building. Keeping rain, sun, and any weather off your trailer when it is not in use is important IMHO.

No matter where you live, molded fiberglass trailers are relatively scarce. It seemed like every single one I found was outside my region, 500 to 1000 miles away, or even further.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Tori, we really like our Casita, bought new. I did look for used while waiting the 6 months for ours to be built. Most I called on were sold the same day they posted. Be ready , with cash, to drive to see the trailer. There are other 13' FG trailers on the used market. It may increase your chances if you look also at other brands.
Good luck on your search.

Mark
Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Not a solo lady rv camper, although I've done a little solo backpacking and camping with just my kids and me in the long, long ago. Not to mention with my Boy Scout troop.

Altho I enjoy D'hs company, I remain willing and able to camp without him, as I did for many years. But so far, ever since we got the Snoozy, he's been very willing to accompany me. ♡♡
Old 11-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #11

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
No Toilet?

Not a single female, but was a single male. Now half of an elderly couple. And I have been a backpacker and tent camper so I know about toiletless camping. I know a number of people go with a trailer camper sans toilet, but it is the one thing I would not leave out. At least a porta-potty. If you're hauling a trailer might as well haul a potty in it. Having to "go" either in a hurry or in the middle of the night can be a problem.

As others have said, finding a used FG trailer is a hit or more often miss deal. It took us over a year to find one. Unless you're the first caller after an ad is posted it's likely a miss. We missed several before we got lucky. And watch out for scams. If the deal seems a little flaky it's probably a scam.

Good luck, and go for it!
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Most campgrounds have toilets ranging from outhouses to luxury digs. I, too, recommend a simple port-a-pottie in your trailer for the times you must "go". They are easy to "dump" and rinse. We use ours for #1 only without toilet paper (as much as possible). That way we only have liquid to dump and rinse after.

If your small trailer does not have a shower and toilet the space is usually filled with a convertible (to bunk beds) sofa, giving your interior a more spacious feel than one filled with a bathroom.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
You might check out these websites and look for Facebook groups and Pinterest items:
Sisters on the Fly - https://www.sistersonthefly.com/

Girl Camper - Girl Camper | Going Places, Doing Things

Good luck and safe travels! [emoji4]

Ray
Hi Tori,

Welcome! A 13' Scamp or other 13' egg camper would be great options. I would like to reiterate Ray's suggestion of checking out GirlCamper.com. Janine Pettit's podcast, Girl Camper - Going Places and Doing Things, is outstanding. Laura and I listen to it weekly. Of course, I listen to over 10 RV related podcasts as well!

Take care,

Dean
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tori2shoes View Post
Hey All!

New England teacher here deciding to try and make the most of my school schedule while I'm young and eager to travel. I want to use a 13' scamp (behind a subaru outback) to visit new places and escape with my dog from boarding school for weekends and breaks. I don't actually have a scamp yet, and I'm new to the idea of camper trailers in general... but I'm thinking basic 13 with no toilet.

Any (single lady) scampers out there that want to reassure me that I can scamp alone with my dog?

Any tips for buying used? Everything on the forums is so far from New England.

Any tips for keeping things as low maintenance as possible? I'm handy and can use power tools... but would rather not sink a bunch of time/funds into fixing maintaining.

Thanks!
As to being a woman and camping alone (without or without a dog) there is no real reason for concern. I have gone camping on my own for almost half a century and have never once had an incident happen. I have done solo camping in various areas of the USA including Alaska, British Colombia and an extended camping trip to France too. Lots of car camping with tents, I have had several vans, a small motorhome and now a little fiberglass trailer. I did blow an engine in my VW bus in the middle of nowhere Idaho but the local people were exceptionally kind in helping me get the repairs I needed.

Feeling a little nervous is normal but just remember to use "street smarts". Just like at home if someone makes you feel uncomfortable excuse yourself and leave. Do not immediately offer up that you are traveling solo, use the word "we", they don't have to know you are talking about your dog rather than a human alpha male. Don't accept "candy" from strangers. Predators including scammers will try to get a toehold to engage you by offering up various gifts including offering unneeded assistance in setting up your campsite. Just say "we can manage that" and politely disengage from conversation. Project your self confidence, that is very important.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Project your self confidence, that is very important.
Good post!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #16

Name: Marjy
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Hello Tori,

I am a single woman with a dog. I haven't had my scamp too long, but have loved using it and look forward to many adventures. Darn work is getting in the way to do much traveling. (sigh)
I put a backup camera on my pickup making hooking up much easier.
I am finally getting the hang of backing up.
I have to admit I have had more than one overnight stay in it at home.
Have fun and good luck in your search.
Marjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tori; sent you a message
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Thanks for the advice! I will look into those groups and podcasts to start. I am feeling excited about these adventures, and it sounds like I'll have to be patient and vigilant in my search for a used FG trailer. I am open to non-scamps, but the lightweight 13' size really seems right for me to be able to move it around and tow on my own.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Hi! I'm totally new to camper world!

Janine Pettit (a.k.a. GirlCamper) was a keynote speaker when we recently attended the Eggshells on the Outer Banks rally. Good presentation!

In 2 days, we will have dinner with Cheryl and Stuart. We met them at a Scamper's Paradise gathering earlier this year and Cheryl told us about some of her adventures with "Sisters on the Fly". She tows their 13 ft Scamp to outings. They have named the Scamp "Ellie" (from the movie "Up") and Cheryl has decorated the exterior with balloons and characters from the movie.

The first FGRV that my wife and I bought was a basic Scamp13 that we initially towed behind a 2011 Honda CRV. The Scamp13 was a wonderful introduction to FGRV trailers and we really enjoyed it for several years before moving up to our current Scamp16 Deluxe.

We searched for many months for a used lightweight Scamp13 before realizing that there was very little financial penalty for ordering a brand new Scamp13. Resale values for well cared for FGRVs are very high and there is very little penalty for buying what you want and need now and then later selling and moving up.

Wishing you the best of luck and many happy adventures! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #20

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Did you notice the 13 for sale in Mo? I think Fulton is in the Sty. Louis area.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote