Hi, I'm Yazmin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #15
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
I measured on the picture and calculated it as 16% grade. That is one steep hill. In our area where we have a lot of dirt roads, sometimes the steep sections are blacktop, in order to avoid the slip on the sand/gravel. Your additional disadvantage was the tongue weight on the back, reducing the traction on the front wheels. And with the curves at the bottom, there was probably no chance to get some momentum.

The blacktop on those sections also allows for salt to be used in winter instead of piling up the sand.

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Name: Yazmin
Trailer: Boler (1980)
Wow. Thanks for your feedback, Paul! I didn't know that it would be possible to establish that from the picture!

I say it wasn't a big hill because after QC we headed down into NY and spent some days in the Adirondacks where we dealt with much bigger hills, and equally steep hills. We never encountered a surface which was that soft again though, thankfully!

I'm very appreciative of my husband who is quite capable with mechanics, vehicles and the like. If it had been just me, it would have been a bigger problem!

We are going to move to a more powerful tow vehicle this year.
The reason we got the Boler (project) last year was that another planned project couldn't move forward and I came across an article on-line highlighting 'Vehicles with surprising Tow Capacities' and our faithful C30 was listed. I took it as a sign.

Yazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Yazmin, it's times like the one you found yourselves in that a true body-on-ladder frame 4WD with locking rear ends and a little more aggressive tread tires comes in really handy for towing, even with a lightweight trailer like your Boler. Having been stuck just on wet grass in 2WD trying to leave a campground, it's comfortable to have the 4WD with locking rear ends available. And as Paul said with a front wheel drive car on a hill in a soft surface you lose even more traction towing.

If you drive on back roads, good gas mileage doesn't count for much when you're stuck by yourself in the middle of nowhere in a rut, really soft gravel, or mud at midnight and you find your drive tires are spinning because your trailer tires are buried too.

Just a thought to put away for next time you think about a new tow vehicle.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
Name: Yazmin
Trailer: Boler (1980)
Hi Roger, Thanks for the tip! I will mention that to my husband. Whatever vehicle we decide on will be doing all duties including being a work vehicle for him, so a variety of aspects will be factored in.

Yazmin is offline   Reply With Quote