Been a while since my last post and it's almost a new season!
To finish that...
Ian and I did a whirlwind 2.5 week reno with a triple cleaning, new cushions/covers, fibreglass patching and install of an original Boler
window. We carted along a new stove and fantastic fan to install once we stopped at our friend's place in QC at the start of our 3 destination trip around Lake Ontario. Whirlwind indeed. By this time, we had discovered that the driver's side frame had a bend in it in the rear, and we suspected that it was where the weight
of the tree had added pressure after crushing the shell and window frame. Ian rigged in a shim to level the 'egg' for the journey to get us through the short term.
We had a great stop in Val David, and Ian put his skills to work getting the fan, stove, and propane working using his knowledge from sailing.
We were quite happy with the preliminary results to make the trailer usable knowing that the frame and warped axel etc. still needed to be addressed but it was workable for the short term. We had a great time on our first Boler adventure, save for that first night we drove down an unfamiliar dirt road and our little egg made a sideways dash for the ditch on a steep incline. All worked out in the end thank goodness and we had a little help navigating the hill in the morning.
After the remainder of that successful first venture, and season, we pulled the shell off the frame in late October and found, as we thought, only the rear of one side was bent and the frame was otherwise in 'good' shape. We were able to get the frame straightened and reconditioned and we added a braked axel and new tires; just in time too as the inner edge of one tire was showing obvious wear after our season.
We are excited to fasten the shell down and do some next step interior repairs and renos!