Hi, my name is Brett from BC Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot Oakland Camper
British Columbia
Hi, my name is Brett from BC Canada

Hey gang, newbie here looking forward to the site and what it has to offer. My current set up is a 2010 F-350 diesel with a 9.5 ft 1993 Bigfoot Oakland Camper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0139.jpg  
SleepRobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepRobber View Post
Hey gang, newbie here looking forward to the site and what it has to offer. My current set up is a 2010 F-350 diesel with a 9.5 ft 1993 Bigfoot Oakland Camper.
Welcome to FGRV Brett, nice looking slide in Bigfoot. I still miss my slide in for quick trips.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Brett
Welcome. Nice looking set up.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Name: michael
Trailer: Chalet
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepRobber View Post
Hi, welcome. We've been to BC before, Whistler, towns nearby, Vancouver, Victoria. Plan to return in late August, September. Was wondering if you've ever driven North in Vancouver Island. Seems like there is just one main road near Georgia Straight but no main road coming back along the Pacific Ocean. Any suggestions welcome. Mike fortunare@gmail.com
fortunare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
yeah you got that right.....

north island...

once you cross the bridge over Campbell River you are headed WEST and can expect the climate to be noticeably different than the rest of the east coast and center of the island....in a nutshell, it's colder and it rains more

you are right there is no road on the pacific side....if you saw that side of the island from a boat you'd understand why

the only main, paved road is highway 19 to Port Hardy...besides that the road to Port Alice from Port Hardy is paved....as is the road to Coal Harbour......the road from Campbell River to Gold River is paved also

after that there are untold thousands of miles of gravel (logging) roads....some are wide enough for two vehicles and regularly used by various vehicles to get to places like Zeballos, Winter Harbour and Thasis on the west coast.....most are LOGGING roads and using these requires great care and following certain protocols (like following a logging truck in or out) is a good idea.....during dry season these roads are DUSTY to the extreme....after a while you get to recognize the tell tale signs of an "active" logging road versus one that is not being used this season

then if the forest fire rating gets to be high enough all logging (and traffic) stops for a while...seen this happen for as long as a month

so along the paved route you will find any and all services...spaced about fifty to seventy miles apart.....for the rest of it there is NOTHING but dirt roads, lakes and small, free "rec sites" to camp at....with outhouses if you're lucky...nothing else

oh and Welcome Brett....nice rig....where do you park that thing...exactly...(it's a big island)
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg   brewa1e.jpg  

gray1.jpg   ketab.jpg  

klapan.jpg   schd.jpg  

uk2.jpg   uk3.jpg  

uk7.jpg   twinlil.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
"and just because I can"....

more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
bt1a.jpg   btb1.jpg  

btca.jpg   btld.jpg  

btcc3.jpg   za.jpg  

c.jpg   3.jpg  

btdb.jpg   btddd.jpg  

Old 07-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Mike,
If you are on the island in Sept, we will be having our boler meet up in Sooke, near Victoria, at the Sooke River Campground on the 15th to the 17th.

Francois, it would be great to see you as well. Would love to learn more about some of your "haunts" We have traveled the island extensively, but previously had to stay to the main roads due to our tow vehicle, but are hoping to get off on to the side roads more. Love the north Island.

Mike it usually takes 6 to 8 hours to go from one end of the island to the other depending on your speed and traffic. Enjoy.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Sooke River Campground September....

thanks Claire.....I have a real hard time with planning anything ahead of time...but this might just happen....I did the Pacific Marine Road circle "thing" a couple of years back and really enjoyed it....I was thinking of doing it again after the kids are back in school (and provincial parks like French Creek have their "geezer discount" on again after Labour Day).....I'd like to take it a little slower this time around....

BTW have you ever taken Humpback Road??? Geez!!! early one morning I took it, trailer in tow, as a short cut as I was heading for the Malahat from Sooke and wanted to avoid Langford traffic.....what a mistake !!!! There are actually signs on that road that tell you when to "honk your horn" !!!! that's how steep and narrow the thing is in places.....astounding....looked like a regular paved road in my map book.... it's paved alright but there were places my trailer barely fit between some big trees!!!! that was an early morning shocker!!!
Attached Thumbnails
7.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
I love Humpback Road. Used to use it all the time when we lived in Sooke, but without a trailer. Not many people used it back then. It really should have signs saying no trailers as it really is not designed for them. Hope you can make it. We are thinking of doing Port Renfrew before the rally.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #10

Name: Brett
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot Oakland Camper
British Columbia
Lots of places to RV on Vancouver Island, I was raised there all my life but presntly live on the mainland (Vancouver).

I will be camping out at Nootka Sound for 3 weeks starting on the 11th of August so looking very forward to that date. 😆 Gonna be catching some big Chinook salmon out there.

Thanks to all who replied!!
SleepRobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #11

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Smile

welcome from the Fraser Valley, I could probably put my boler inside your camper with room to spare
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote