Hi my name is Linda - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Hi my name is Linda

Newly retired and looking to travel this beautiful country. I've been tent camping most of my adult life but want to have a trailer now for longer trips. I enjoy reading all the tips in the Fiberglass RV email.
LSoaft092116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I tented for many years too but as one ages the comforts of a trailer are really appreciated.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Name: Faith
Trailer: currently shopping for a Scamp
Pennsylvania
I am also just ordering my first trailer, a 13' Scamp. We'll be pulling it with a 2002 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma and are wondering about the pros and cons of installing brakes.

PatchWork
PatchWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi PW

Cons.... It will cost a few hundred dollars.

Pro... All goodness!!! The big one is much shorter stopping distances which could very well prevent an accident.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Linda, welcome. You will love having a trailer. No setting up a tent, no wet canvas, and you can stop anytime you feel like it and go inside to make yourself a lunch or snack.

Faith, trailer brakes are so helpful. Faster stopping when you need it most. They'll help you avoid overheating the truck's brakes when going down a steep grade. And if your trailer ever were to start swaying due to improper loading (too much weight to the rear), it's very easy to engage the trailer brakes only and bring the trailer back into line.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Linda, welcome. You will love having a trailer. No setting up a tent, no wet canvas, and you can stop anytime you feel like it and go inside to make yourself a lunch or snack.

Faith, trailer brakes are so helpful. Faster stopping when you need it most. They'll help you avoid overheating the truck's brakes when going down a steep grade. And if your trailer ever were to start swaying due to improper loading (too much weight to the rear), it's very easy to engage the trailer brakes only and bring the trailer back into line.
Mike can you please explain this more. We know there is an emergency "setting" on the trailer brake thingy in the van, but really do not understand how it should be applied. We have found that we do adjust the trailer brakes up and down when traveling depending on the terain. Would love a clear description, or link to a good description, of how to properly use trailer brakes.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Tips

Hi All
Thank you for the warm welcome. Trying to buy a used 13' Scamp here in CA. No luck so far. Thanks for the tips on the brakes. I will be pulling with a 6 cylinder Tacoma. Will look into the brake system. Really looking forward to traveling this fall. Will tent this summer.
LSoaft092116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
There is a newly listed Perris pacer located in so California ( Redlands )
It would be in the inland empire crisis listed ... It is listed for $3700 Ono
I have one of these and my 2015 Toyota Tacoma with 6 cyl pulls it just fine w/o any special hitches (ie sway bar... Weight dist hitch etc)
The nice thing about the Perris pacer is the huge windows... I've had mine weighed ... It is 1560 lbs with hitch weighed if 225

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Linda,

I wouldn't tow much of anything without brakes. Stopping before impact is pretty important.

Good luck choosing your new rig.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchWork View Post
I am also just ordering my first trailer, a 13' Scamp. We'll be pulling it with a 2002 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma and are wondering about the pros and cons of installing brakes.

PatchWork

The brakes on a 13' Scamp are very small. What they do for you is help braking a small amount, but might be enough to prevent an impact in an emergency braking situation. The biggest thing they do, in my opinion, is they help keep the trailer behind the tow vehicle. I'd had at least two experiences where I probably would have be in real trouble without the brakes and at least one where I believe I would have lost the trailer. Both worked to keep the trailer from passing me.

In heavier trailers like "Airstream trailers", brakes do a lot of combination trailer and tow braking, with light weight fiberglass trailers (13' ) the keep the trailer from attempting to pass the tow.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Mike can you please explain this more. We know there is an emergency "setting" on the trailer brake thingy in the van, but really do not understand how it should be applied. We have found that we do adjust the trailer brakes up and down when traveling depending on the terain. Would love a clear description, or link to a good description, of how to properly use trailer brakes.
Ok, have a look at this photo of a typical brake controller module. This is the part you have stuck next to your seat or mounted on the underside of the dash, someplace you can easily reach it while driving.

Name:   brake-controller-3.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  9.1 KB

See that lever on the leading edge of the front? It slides sideways, on this one it goes from right to left, but this can vary by brand. When you slide this lever, assuming you've adjusted the settings properly beforehand, the lever will engage the trailer brakes without involving the tow vehicle brakes. In contrast, if you step on the brake pedal, both tow vehicle and trailer brakes are engaged.

If a trailer starts whipping from side to side uncontrollably, the trailer's rear end is trying to pass the tow vehicle. We want to slow down the trailer, but NOT slow down the tow vehicle. Maintaining a relatively steady speed with the gas pedal, actuate the trailer brakes to slow the trailer and it should come back into line behind the tug.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote