Hi, new here! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Iona Trayler
Trailer: Escape
Manitoba
Hi, new here!

I used to own a 1973 Boler Trailer, but sadly its retired now and I'm looking for another one. I recently lost my partner after his cancer struggle and was planning on going on a year long healing journey in a new trailer this past June.

I gave a deposit for a new trailer in December 2016, to JOE AND REESE THOEN of OUTBACK TRILLIUM TRAILERS, CALGARY, AB. It was suppose to be ready June 1, 2017. I rented out my house for June 1 and was ready to travel but by June 1 the trailer was not even built nor was he in the process of building it. Joe did not return any phone calls or emails for weeks. When I left a message that I was reporting him to the RCMP he called me back and came up with excuses as to why it was not ready. He said it would be ready by July. Again he did not return any phone calls or emails, on August 15 I had to drive out to Alberta to locate him to see if my trailer was ready, it was not, nor had he even started building it. I was also shocked to see where he was manufacturing it, he is running it out of his backyard not a proper facility, the trailers I saw were defective shells, and the one trailer that was assembled was of poor quality. Apparently anyone can buy a Trillium mould and start making trailers. He said he would refund my deposit, he did not, now I have the inconvenience and expense of taking him to court to get my deposit back for a trailer he did not even build. There are 2 complaints with the RCMP in regards to this business. I want other people in the market to be aware of this business and not get scammed like I did.
Lite Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this, Carolyn. You've certainly had your share of bad luck this past year. I wish you well as you seek justice from Outback. I hope you can find another trailer to get your life back on track.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That is sad to hear.

But it is rather odd that the Google satellite view of the Trillium facility dated as 2017 shows quite a lot of trailers in progress, of course the quality of them is not visible from a distance. Or else he is just storing all those trailers for local people which is of course possible as he has the space for it. Certainly not a small back yard and there is a good sized outbuilding but it is not of course a big factory operation. The website does show that a father and son are the only team members.
Click image for larger version

Name:	trillium.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	113701
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Carolyn,

I am very sorry for your losses. Hugs to you.

Other Folks,

Please be cautious when manufacturers want you to be their banker. Its a clear sign they are on shaky financial ground. Large deposits are dangerous.

One Minnesota manufacturer asks for $500.00 up front and even that is refundable if you change your mind. And while the wait times are long, they usually come in early. Those are the kinda folks you want to deal with.

Be careful out there. john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
best wishes

good luck to you Carolyn and best wishes!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It always pays to check Better Business Bureau before plunking your money down.

https://www.bbb.org/calgary/business...ion=complaints
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 10.28.45 PM.png  
Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
As I recall these folks do fiberglass trailer repair which may account for the trailers seen in the picture. Building new trailers seems to be a side line. They have been around a long time. We have at least one member with a 2004 model who seems happy with their trailer. Unfortunately, this is not the first time late delivery and poor build quality has been reported. My guess this is another "Parkliner" situation, too much to do and not enough hours in the day. I hope things get resolved. Buying a new egg is suppose to be fun.
Attached Thumbnails
_20171112_053526.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hopefully not another pyramid scheme we all have read about! sorry for your troubles.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn B. View Post
I used to own a 1973 Boler Trailer, but sadly its retired now and I'm looking for another one. I recently lost my partner after his cancer struggle and was planning on going on a year long healing journey in a new trailer this past June.

I gave a deposit for a new trailer in December 2016, to JOE AND REESE THOEN of OUTBACK TRILLIUM TRAILERS, CALGARY, AB. It was suppose to be ready June 1, 2017. I rented out my house for June 1 and was ready to travel but by June 1 the trailer was not even built nor was he in the process of building it. Joe did not return any phone calls or emails for weeks. When I left a message that I was reporting him to the RCMP he called me back and came up with excuses as to why it was not ready. He said it would be ready by July. Again he did not return any phone calls or emails, on August 15 I had to drive out to Alberta to locate him to see if my trailer was ready, it was not, nor had he even started building it. I was also shocked to see where he was manufacturing it, he is running it out of his backyard not a proper facility, the trailers I saw were defective shells, and the one trailer that was assembled was of poor quality. Apparently anyone can buy a Trillium mould and start making trailers. He said he would refund my deposit, he did not, now I have the inconvenience and expense of taking him to court to get my deposit back for a trailer he did not even build. There are 2 complaints with the RCMP in regards to this business. I want other people in the market to be aware of this business and not get scammed like I did.
Hi: Carolyn B... Time to visit a real fiberglass trailer mfg. Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia Right in your own backyard too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Unfortunately, that "real" molded fiberglass manufacturer no longer produces small trailers. Another close-at-hand small option worth a look is Relic Custom Trailers in eastern Washington state. They seem to be on top of the production process and committed to building trailers.

It is sad whenever a molded fiberglass manufacturer doesn't do well. I agree with Raz- a number of very patient Outback customers have expressed satisfaction with the end product. But long delays and broken promises don't look good. Here's another thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ice-75547.html

I wish you well on your healing journey, Carolyn.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Unfortunately, that "real" molded fiberglass manufacturer no longer produces small trailers. .
As I recall Escape stopped making the 13' because it's cost was very close to the 15' and later the 15' cost close to the 17'. If that's the case then if I had to have a 13' Trillium and was willing to spend the money I would approach them. At one time they made shells for the13' Trillium and the 13' Escape from the same molds.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
As I recall Escape stopped making the 13' because it's cost was very close to the 15' and later the 15' cost close to the 17'. If that's the case then if I had to have a 13' Trillium and was willing to spend the money I would approach them. At one time they made shells for the13' Trillium and the 13' Escape from the same molds.
Given their full-on production schedule, I think I know what the answer will be, but of course you can always ask.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have been out to Outback Trillium a bunch of times. Some to get work done, and others to pick up parts. The only issues I had were that it took a bit longer to get some welding and coating done on the frame than expected.

I have looked at a few of the Triliums they have built, though not with a super scrutinizing eye, and mostly liked what I saw.

The photo above does not show their new building, which was held up due to bad flooding in the area in 2015.

Most of their work is doing modifications to all type's of RVs.

I think their intentions are great, Joe is a good guy, but execution and organisation is a little lacking. If they would bother to make a good business plan and follow it, I would bet they could do good business. Bascially, very capable workers and builders, but very poor on the business end of things.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Manitoba
The other trailers on site were not new trailers, I'm assuming they were brought in for repairs.

I did attempt communications during the whole process however, Joe did not call or email me back, after weeks of no communication I had to drive out to his shop in person in order to see what was going on - not convenient when you live in another province. If a business can't deliver a product when promised they should give the deposit back. My trailer was promised to me and it was not built, my refund was promised to me and I did not receive it. It has been almost one year now since this whole matter started and I have received nothing from Trillium Outback.

I have now seen other reviews posted elsewhere of similar experiences and I wish I did more research before I purchased, I was too trusting and just went off the review that was on his website. I will report this to the BBB, thanks for that suggestion Glenn. I see that Trillium Outback is not a member of the BBB, I can understand why.

Thank you to all for your kind wishes!
Old 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
It's one thing if your trailer is late, quite another when it's been a year and they haven't even started. To me that isn't a lack of business acumen, but borders more on fraud. Hopefully you will eventually receive your refund and can put this farce behind you. Like others I'd suggest taking a drive over to ETI in Chilliwack. They'll be happy to build you a 17, they'll answer your emails and phone calls, and they'll deliver exactly on time with no surprises.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #16

Manitoba
That's why I went to the RCMP, 2 complaints in with them so far. If more people come forward hopefully the RCMP can do something about it.

I now have filed a complaint in with the BBB but I see that the other complaints with Trillium Outback Trailers went unresolved and other customers did not get their refunds or the product.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd like to see a moderator change this thread title to reflect the content of the thread. Maybe leave the words "scam" and "fraud" out of it, but perhaps change it to Outback Trilliium Serious Complaints.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If you end up going to court, (likely small claims?) make a concise narrative that a judge without a background in fiberglass trailers can understand in 5 minutes or less. Then stuff the Appendix full of supporting documentation and refer to some of it in your narrative. You want cancelled checks, letters, receipts, correspondence, and emails. Keep the narrative simple. Maybe a one paragraph executive summary, with a couple pages detailing it. Produce 3 copies. One for you, another for the judge, and a third for the manufacturer/defendant.

You might want to entertain the idea of allowing him to produce the trailer, if you can protect yourself in the process. That might get both of you what you want. If he is driven out of business, likely everyone loses. If he can produce an acceptable trailer, he saves face, and you got what you wanted. So for example, maybe the judge could drop the judgement if you get a trailer within specified time.

Good luck
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #19

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Carolyn,
We have friends that got a trailer from Joe, not sure of all the details, but it took 2 years, persistence and visits. This spring they picked it up and did the final finishes themselves.

Keep us posted on how this turns out, and in the meantime keep looking. New maybe what you wanted, but you might find a good used model. Between here and the fiberglass Facebook pages, someone is always advertising one for sale.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #20

Name: Lawrie
Trailer: Escape 13'
B.C.
Hi Carolyn
I agree with Alfred. Visit Escape Trailer Industries here in Chilliwack. If not in person, at least by e-mail, phone etc. Tammy and Reece are wonderful folks. True, they don't build 13 or 15 ft trailers anymore but they just might know if there happens to be a used one around for sale. If there is, you would have to jump on it because they don't last. We have a 2010 13' and absolutely love it (sorry, not for sale) and have always had impeccable service from everyone at ETI. Might be worth a phone call or, if you are close enough, an actual visit.
Good luck.
Carol & Lawrie Edwards
Edwards13 is offline   Reply With Quote