Hi! Newbie w 17 ft Bigfoot travel trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
to be safe....

having no idea how that plumbing would run (low spots in the lines?)....
I would treat it just like the bath and kitchen faucets = run the cold tap til pink shows up and close...then run the hot tap til you see pink from there as well.....you're done!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #16

Name: Marcia
Colorado
Thanks, I get it!

I get it, you pump the RV antifreeze through every outlet till pink and shower is same as rest of em. This look so simple and I so appreciate your great help with the pictures and text. The prior owner already showed my how to dump the tanks an that is done. I will give it a go today and see how it works.

I fixed a couple other things already while cleaning it in the dark. The kitchen window would not latch shut, it just had a couple of pine needles in the slide channel, duhh. The piezos were not sparking, just had to pull of connector and push on/off couple times to make better connection.

Next thing is to clean it up on outside and probably just rub it out with rubbing compound and apply new wax. Prior owner left it outside in NM sun for couple years and it came from tucsun before her ownership. It has some oxidation and (2) 3 " areas with spider cracks in finish. I saw people are using Zep floor wax for protecting the finish. I might pick up a gallon and try that before messing with paint or new gel coat. I just want to have some UV protection from strong SW UV rays as I know that will damage fiberglass over time. I know how to do fiberglass work from years of kayaking in the dark ages before the new plastic boats came out and then doing all kinds of fiberglass repairs on vehicles, oars, coolers, homes, etc. Maybe I get some white pigment and put some eglass patches over the 2 spider spots. I have couple qts of west system epoxy resin , so I could just paint on new gloss coat on the bigfoot and that might be good idea on the lid where it bakes in sun?? Or just use it for winter trips and figure out next spring best plan?? I know once I put wax on, I will need to strip it off, as any wax will mess with epoxy or paint I might want to put on.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #17

Colorado
Also want to learn about best solar options....

Maybe some links to help understand solar better to help me figure out best options. I see the Zamp's are popular. Going out to mess with trailer, might try a camping this week down the road along Colorado River north of Moab. Looks like a week of weather before it will freeze, so gonna wait on the winterizing and test out the water systems first. Found a very nice Sterling brand stainless sink at thrift store, I am going to swap out for the white plastic one and upgrade the faucet to a nice high stainless one.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #18

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
cracks, roof, solar....

sounds like you're off to a great start!

I second your idea of a quick "shake down cruise" before winterizing. Like you I bought in the fall...one quick trip before putting it away told me a LOT.....and lengthened my "project list" by a lot as well....LOL...but that's all good, you got all winter and some issues can be worked on outside/away from the trailer....then you just pop them in when the snow is gone.

cracks in gelcoat....if you know FG you know that gelcoat cracks have no bearing on structural integrity, water proofing and do not affect the FG in any way except for looks. A PO must've backed into something that resulted in small cracks near the belly band in right rear corner...I know they are there, I'm not doing anything about it. FG is bendy, gelcoat is brittle...end of story.

My roof is something I don't worry about much....it is strong enough that I can walk around up there (to clean it and inspect everything once a year) and not cause any deflections. The only people who can ever see it is the people who ride in the buses.

Solar...you're about to acquire a great new hobby....FWIW...I started with a 40W panel stored inside trailer....given my use (I tend to move every day) I then added 40W fixed on the roof. That worked well enough and covered a few bases well (on the road during the day and being parked in shady spots)....after a year of that ("real world use"), I added a 30W panel to the roof part of the system.

For my energy use that combination is just about perfect for ME....if I'm parked in the open on a sunny day... with the 40W deployed as well... I seem to be able to recover all the energy I used the night before by about noon or soon after. (Being able to aim the 40W deployable perfectly to the sun's rays should not be discounted....perfect angle to the sun is a HUGE factor....I found out)

Now I have an electric bicycle....on a "perfect day" I put it on charge (through a small inverter) in mid afternoon....no point wasting the power produced...whether the bike needs or not....

You're going to have LOTS of fun....good luck
Attached Thumbnails
adoneb.jpg   spnew.jpg  

blo2.jpg   wossaaa.jpg  

sooke.jpg   bodb.jpg  

Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #19

Colorado
Thumbs up Great tips!

Yes, things to fix! Today I went around and sprayed triflow on any outside hinge, lock or other moving part to looses everything up. I realized the sping loaded pins that hold down to front window cover need replacement, one is gone and the pin came out into my hand after I sprayed some tri flow in to loosen up the coroded aluminum, the other loosened up so it works after the tri flow, but I think I find replacment parts for both if I can figure out the part?? I am thinking the PO was not the most honest person, she went to great lengths to show me how the fantastic fan worked, but today I tried the one in the bath and it will not tuen on at all, fuse works fine in other fan, will check for power/ground tomorrow. PO also failed to mention the front window cover, but gave me huge detail on everything else, typical, just like the bent axle she probably knew, ugghh!

Good info on the solar. I am thinking maybe I just splurge for the 160 watts zamp they are selling on amazon for $790. Would it not make sense to get some batteries and have roof mounts so you could be charging while traveling? I get it being parked in shade, so you want the panels portable with some cords. Might try camping monday if the water hose comes in from amazon, like to flush out the system anyway before I shut her down.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #20

Colorado
follow up on bigfoot

Hello all, I am going to flush out the hot warter tank today with the "wand" I got from amazon and then go ahead and winterize her after the flush. I bought a hose adaptor so you can set an air compressor down to 20PSI or so and just open all the water outlets and then blow out the water, but a bit nervous about blowing up 14 year old plumbing. I will do the traditional method this time as fully detailed by Franswa's awesome pictorial description, thank you very much!

Been messing with small details, I found some replacement latches for the front window cover latches as one side had broken due to corrosion. Bought the rhinolite black water drain hose, and some needed accessories as all that was missing.

Bought a new kenwood cd/BT receiver as one one included in trailer was totally DOA, the new kenwood plugged right into existing harness and mount and was a 30 second plug and play fix. Crutchfield had a "scrath and dent" unit that was like new and I got the entire mounting/harness kit to fit my 98 suburban TV for free so I can easily rull the reciever and use it in the suburban. I love crutchfield and always buy the return units for cheap price and they have incredible tech help. The bigfoot oem speakers are total junk and sound blown, but I found some new 6 1/2 infinitys new in my stock pile of usefull hoarded items in my garage.

Plan to install a 1" larger SS sink I found at local thrift store with a new nice delta faucet, on the future project list. Tuesday is my day to have axle swapped out for a 6000 lb axle and get new wheels/hubs/brakes and upgraded spring pack. The BF trailer is going to Moab Folk Festival this weekend to be used by the artists as their "hangout" before/after they perform.

Kinda hate to admit this, but thinking I might look for a black friday deal on the 2000 watt honda generator for bondocking use. The solar looks complicated, expensive and underpowered in big picture if I ever want to use AC, small plug in heater or microwave type high amp accessories. Still working on plan for winter trip and thinking the honda might be way to go. I saw harbor frieght has their "preditor" generator that they claim is same as honda for 1/2 the price, but I am guessing it is junk compared to the honda. My motto with harbor frieght, is avoid about anything that has moving parts, although my 220 compressor I got for under $100 is going on 10 years of use and just now starting to smell of burnt oil/bearings, lol.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
I saw harbor frieght has their "predator" generator that they claim is same as honda for 1/2 the price, but I am guessing it is junk compared to the honda.
I don't think they claim it's the "same" as the Honda, but the specs are similar. You might be surprised at the quality. Most generators are made by only a few companies, then they "brand" them for resale by the stores they sell to. The Predator 2000 has been in service for quite a while now and seems to have good reviews. For $500 and with a 2 year warranty, it might be worth a shot.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My question is, who made the Predator 2000 today and who made it last week? The brand name may have been in service, but that's not the same thing.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
who makes what

My information is all the second tier genartors are made on the same line by the same company!

most of the owner reviews of the predators are pretty good.

bob
Old 11-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #24

Colorado
Predator vs honda??

Maybe I should consider the predator as a viable alternative. My 2 big questions now are how do the Db levels compare, honda vs predator? And what would be the best price HF sells them for, so confusing when there is always a discount happening. It might be worth joining their prefered customer program for a year to get a better price??

I really like the hondas and have a mower, power washer and 28" track snowblower, they are all 12+ years old and run flawlessly with one pull start. Plus carbs and other parts are easily accessible and cheap as well.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
reviews

go to harbor freight website there are plenty of reviews or type in reviews for predator gen.

bob
Old 11-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #26

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
You can't go wrong with the Honda. It's basically the industry leader for small inverter generators and has been for a long time. All I'm saying is that for infrequent use, something like the Predator might be worth considering. As for dB levels, I think the Predator comes in at 61 dB, and the Honda about 59-60 db. Pretty close.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #27

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
My advice. Dig into the old bank account and get the Honda. They are utterly reliable. You can pay now or later when the Chinese model quits. Exhibit A,B and C are your mower, washer and snowblower.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #28

Colorado
Maybe thee will be some black friday deals on the honda??

Tags
bigfoot