Hi - Newbie with project 1983 13' Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
Hi - Newbie with project 1983 13' Scamp!

Hi,
I just picked up a Scamp that is a project!
I joined the forum today and want to say hello. I hope people will be as friendly and helpful as it seems this site is.
I am so glad to have a place to come and search for answers.

Simply,
Lesa
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #2

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Welcome and congrats. You are right about this site. Everyone is extremely helpful and encouraging. Post lots of pictures and ask questions, and someone is sure to respond. I'm just finishing my remodel and I got a lot of good input along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
AM Moats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

Arizona
I was so glad for the information from the factory workers too...I now have more Scamp Terms to use when searching the forums.

I've ordered an Escape Hatch and am c demo-ing to clean and prep the floors.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403910198598.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	73024Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403910233171.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	73025Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403910245463.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	73026Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403910256075.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	73027[emoji4]
Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Oh how cute! You do have a project ahead of you, but that little honey is a keeper. Congrats on your new find!
Tonya L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Very nice. Odd with the window in the rear window, very red neck.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome. Take your time and make it your own. Congrats
Old 06-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

Arizona
Thanks for all your support.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #9

Arizona
Update and project pictures.

Soon the red neck window will be a thing of the past. I'm likely ordering windows today.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342515944.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	73601Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342535302.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	73602Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342561882.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	73603Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342584210.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	73604Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342603925.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	73605Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342630678.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	73606Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405342648078.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	73607
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Arizona
Update August 2014.
Omgosh what a trip this project has been.
So I ended up gutting my Scamp. I'm rewiring and adding new running lights. I will need to remove and reinstall my escape hatch soon. I have bought ProFlex RV caulk to seal up the screw holes in my roof that were created by the PO.
I have stories of help that wasn't much help and redo after redo that have cost me precious money out of my already stretched budget.
I will be okay. Especially now that I am no longer depressed about all that.
I will be full-timing in my 13 ft Scamp. Mostly off grid boondocking in the Southwest over the winter.
I have a few wish list upgrades I would like to realize at some point in time. I would like a flush mounted one burner Origo marine alcohol stove. A tongue mounted metal table similar to one I saw here somewhere would be sweet. Also, a 100 watt solar panel and sealed agm house battery would be nice as well. And I think it would be great to add a lounge/napping chair to my equipment.
I'm preparing to repack my van and make a bit more progress on the Scamp before my scheduled moving date of 1 pm on Sept 7. Then let the adventures commence.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #11

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
I love your Scamp! Sounds like you've got a great head start. It's so rewarding to bring one back to life and take it camping. Congratulations and maybe we'll see you somewhere soon.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLesa View Post
I have bought ProFlex RV caulk to seal up the screw holes in my roof that were created by the PO.

)
Lesa you may want to consider using a product such a Marine Tex - epoxy resin putty to fill the holes. I know I have used it as have many others here. Works really well at filling screw holes - hardly see it and it drys hard like the fiberglass and it can be sanded if need be.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #13

Arizona
Carol I'm confused - I've paid two different guys to fill the holes with fiberglass epoxy hole filler. I've put $30+ into FG supplies, $20 into silicone and now $13 for ProFlex. Plus labor. I haven't used the ProFlex yet. The 1st FG repair I was told was mixed wrong and cracked. The 2nd leaked after applyed and then sanded by the 2nd person. ???? I was advised by someone here to use ProFlex.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

Arizona
Oh and I am going to have to remove and then reinstall my escape hatch vent because the guys I paid didn't put butyl tape all around the edges, drilled extra holes and used too small a rivet then globbed on silicone which is peeling sround the edges. They did the install last month.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #15

Arizona
Giving up has occurred to me. Yet I keep at it. Lots of info on my blog at http://SimplyLesa.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Don' give up!!!! sounds like you have had a real go around with it. Having taken out and redone my escape hatch which had years of caulking put on it I only can relate to some of what you have been through.

Pro Flex is a good product but it is something I personally would only normally use in this application for trimming around the hatch once I had it all reinstalled. I would use the epoxy putty - either the type mentioned earlier or another brand for holes - simple to use for filling small holes - especially if they can't be seen under the edges of the hatch. You can also use it to fill a hole and then redrill to make it smaller. I covered the complete underside of the hatch trim/edge which sits on the roof of the trailer with butyl tape (not just the extreme outside edge) and then riveted the hatch in place and used snap caps on the rivets. The butyl tape will seep out around the edges - just trim it off with a sharp knife after. You may not even need to use the Pro Flex around the edges after - but lots of people do just to give it a little extra anti leak insurance.

Attached are a couple of photos of the Fantastic Fan after install. I didn't use Pro Flex on the outside edge, only butyl tape and its been in place for about 5 years now and no leaks. I did for the heck of it add Pro Flex around the trim of the escape hatch though when I re did it (same way as Fantastic Fan) after I trimmed away the extra butyl that seeped out - guess only time will tell which stays leak free the longest.

Name:	Scamp fan outside small.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	75360

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	75361
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #17

Arizona
Hi again.
So I have my baby (the Scamp) on the road. She's not finished but what a trooper she is. After my auto mechanic wired up my new running lights - thanks Chuck for speedy service - checked and did some frame strengthening and approved the tires and bearings we hit the road. We are near Mountainair NM today. I have taken her on an 1100 mile journey. (Whew)

We certainly have had some adventures - when the auto mechanic first plugged her new 7 point electric plug into the van - the van quickly filled with smoke! Not only did I have to install a new master cylinder and shocks now we needed to rewire the van. I felt that I couldn't win for losing! My kindhearted auto mechanic struck a deal for my friend Al to make a delivery to a nearby town and did the wiring job in exchange.

We took off without a complete floor, a door that would not stay closed and a leaky roof. Al helped to close up the hole in the floor and bough a replacement lockset now i have keys which we installed but won't work right until we get the door fixed but it helps.After a very cold and leaky hail storm - I finally tackled the roof. The silicone pealed off in sheets. I could see some butyl tape. My roof is ugly - I'm rather disappointed. Taking into account time location and budget we decided to use the ProFlex that I had already bought. Though it sets off my asthma and I have to ask Al for help. We managed to get a good seal around the escape hatch and over all of the PO screw holes. It has dried for two days and we will apply another coat today. I'm not showing pictures because I think that it is ugly.

My auto mechanic, before we left, rigged up a watertight temporary fix to my ghetto window (sorry its no longer red neck because there is no duct tape now). I have more time to research, save money and get my windows done right.

I would really like to make a front end dinette using the Scamp factory table hardware. I think it would give me more options which I like.
Paint will have to happen someday - but I have scrubbed the inside with Simple Green and at least it is clean. The outside had been washed early on with Dawn dish washing liquid - which let me know that the red color runs from the old Scamp stickers.

My kitchenette is functional - tho I only had the water pump running one time for a few seconds. I will be using my hiking stoves until I can afford an Origo 2000 to install.

The old cushions had to be trashed because of mold and my health issues (darn couldn't wash and save them)

At least she feels like home! It's nice to be living in and with the Scamp. I'm learning what is important and beginning to have a sense of routine that has been missing in my life for quite some time.

I painted the table white and hand stitched a couple placemats and pillow covers out of thrift store fabric.....and not only did my travel buddy Al come to give some support but I also was gifted with my new to me travel buddy Ozzie!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

Arizona
[emoji53]
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1412533799570.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
What a sweetie travel pal! Sounds like you've had a rough time of it but yes, there's no place like a Scamp!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Tonya L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #20

Arizona

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412731972469.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	77299