Hi, Rebecca here - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 pulled with a 2011 Subaru Outback 4cyl CVT
California
I looked at a lot of trailers. Compact Jr., Compact II, Burro, Scamp. None of the beds were long enough as is. I think a configuration like the Scamp might work similar to mine, where the tall person sleeps on the dinette/bed diagonally, and the shorter person sleeps on the front couch/bed. From the trailer weights in the real world spread sheet I thought they might weigh much more than my HC1, but now I am not so sure. It amazing how hard you have to work to keep the accessory weight down. I love my toys.

Don
Sacramento

Old 03-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Do you think this would work with my Subaru? I need to get the tongue weight.

2011 Trillium 1300 Trailer - $10500 - Phoenix, AZ | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Old 03-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Donald, I am curious. The CVT, (constantly variable transmission) seems poorly suited for towing. Does your user manual specify a towing capacity? I am not especially familiar with the practical issues with a CVT. What is the transmission cooler cooling? That is, what gets hot?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #18

California
Towing with CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Donald, I am curious. The CVT, (constantly variable transmission) seems poorly suited for towing. Does your user manual specify a towing capacity? I am not especially familiar with the practical issues with a CVT. What is the transmission cooler cooling? That is, what gets hot?
I am not an expert but understand there is fluid in the CVT that can benefit from a cooler. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the maximum towing is 2700 lbs with this dropping to 1350 for long climbs over 105 degrees F. This is also what my 2011 2.5 specifies in the manual. So far I towed on climbs at about 80 degrees and in the flats to 100 degrees without problem. I have a local shop specializing in Subarus that has installed a few coolers on this model. It is not too expensive so thought it would give me a bit more peace of mind. Maybe I am dreaming. I drop into manual mode on the steep uphills to keep the revs up as I let my speed drop a little. On the downhills I use the manual mode to take advantage of engine braking. Usually it is the trucks that will slow me down on the climbs rather than limits on engine power. Though I love the Subie, if I already owned the trailer and was shopping for a tow vehicle, I would probably be looking for something with a bit more capability. I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy and you cannot go wrong with overkill.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #19

California
Trailer Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca3 View Post

Best place to find real world towing weights all loaded up.

Trailer Weights in the Real World
Old 03-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca3 View Post

I think there's a good chance it would.

Know that this new version of the classic Trillium was made by a company that is currently in limbo. They set up shop in Florence, AZ for a short time (which is probably where this one was made), then tried to open a plant in Alabama, which never flew. They are currently operating out of Canada somewhere, but aren't making any new trailers, as far as I know.

It's a nice design, and the price seems fair, assuming it is as advertised. I believe it originally listed for between $15-20K. The front dinette layout is nice for 1-2 people, and the all-around jalousie windows are a bonus. It says the fridge is a compressor fridge, which needs clarification: is it a 120VAC fridge (i.e., a garden variety dorm fridge) or a 12VDC fridge (expensive)? Both will need power to run. I have no idea if it is reinforced for AC.

But I'd be cautious. It says there is a limited warranty, but will someone be around to support it if, say, a pricey 12V fridge goes out in 6 months? I have also heard reports of assembly defects from several forum members who bought new ones. If you decide to give this unit a shot, make sure to vet it thoroughly.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #21

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Rebecca,

Since you are out West, you might look around for a Weiscraft Little Joe. Mine, loaded ready to go, weighs in at 1760 lb, with a 175-180 tongue weight. I pulls very well with my 2014 Outback 2.5i CVT.

We are retired and aren't in a hurry to get anywhere, so most of the time we travel on 2 lane roads at 55 to 60 mph. When necessary we tow on the interstate, but still we keep it in the 65 mph range. Either way, it tows like a dream.

Most of our trips are in the Eastern US, and we love to go the the Smokies, which would be the extent of our mountain driving thus far.

A couple of important notes though. That 2700 lb tow rating is with trailer brakes, so whatever you get will have to have them or you will have to install them. Also, if you are towing with the CVT, Subaru recommends changing out the fluid every 28K miles.

I like the way the CVT handles, particularly on hills and in the mountains. On uphill grades you never get that abrupt kick you get with a regular automatic transmission, just a gradual increase in RPM. I find the CVT holds speed better, up and down grades, and only some times do I use the manual paddles to keep it in a lower range. This is usually on a very steep or long downhill grade.

I'm assuming that when you say you have an automatic you mean a regular automatic, not a CVT.

In answer to a couple of folks who have questioned the wisdom of towing with a CVT, I did quite a bit of research before I bought the Subaru, as it was bought as a tow vehicle and is also my wife's everyday driver.

The CVT transmission is used on heavy duty construction equipment these days. The drive on an automotive CVT is a steel V-B belt, running between two infinitely variable sheaves, the width of which are simultaneously adjusted via hydraulics, in response to computer sensed changes in load. There is virtually no slippage in the belts. Though you can't see it in this video, there are nozzles that constantly bathe the chain and pulleys in fluid.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...CD10&FORM=VIRE

I should think that any trailer that weighs in like mine, with brakes, would suit you.

The Little Joe, by the way, has a full 6 ft standing height and the side benches convert into a full queen size bed. If you have no more than two people, it's great.

Here is a link to the Weiscraft info on the Little Joe:

Weis Craft Trailers - Little Joe Trailer Floor Plan and Specifications

You can also look at the Little Joe and most other trailers discussed on this site by going to the Gallery at the top of the page.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #22

Name: Carey
Trailer: Cabin A Expedition
Nevada
Hi Rebecca, we have a Cabin A Expedition for sale... (see the classifieds for all the specs) that you could pull with your Outback. I can email you more pictures if you are interested.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #23

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I learned the hard way. The new 7 blade adapter/wiring harness they installed at UHaul (onto my new Ford Escape that came with a 4 pin flat) was supposed to be the right one for my camper's 7 blade flat (female.) However, since my "new" camper's 7 blade was 17 yrs old, it was a slightly different size and did not fit. I had to buy a new female 7 blade flat and visit a guy at home, at 6 pm, (already 3 hours late getting out of town on our first trip) who does contract work for my local RV dealer. Not one of the 11 retailers I visited the day before, to find the right adapter, suggested my camper's 7 blade might not fit the new 7 blade adapter/wiring harness.

7 blade flat to 4 pin flat Adapter/Wiring harness fm om Tractor Supply, $12.95
UHaul Install, $25
New 7 blade plug, $14.95
7 blade plug install, $50 Cash
Making it to our first camping trip "on time," PRICELESS
Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The Subaru Outback the OP has does not have a CVT transmission.

The Outback the OP has also comes stock with an oversized transmission cooler - in comparison to other vehicles of its size.

I towed with the same age Outback and it was a good tow - BUT best to stick to a 13' trailer.

The OP just needs to make sure that what ever 13' trailer they buy that it has brakes already on it (or they are willing to pay the money to have a new axle and brakes put on an old trailer) as one of the Subaru requirements is that anything over 1000lbs towed needs to have brakes on it - which pretty well covers just about every fibreglass trailer out there.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Rebecca, I don't know where you're located in Washington State... it's a big state! But, you're welcome to join us for Spring NOG later this month. The Happier Camper HC1 will be there along with several other brands of 13' trailers (Boler, Scamp, Trillium) for you to check out and talk with the owners.

2016, April 21-24: Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering - Casita Travel Trailer Forum
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #26

California
Trailer Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The Subaru Outback the OP has does not have a CVT transmission.

The Outback the OP has also comes stock with an oversized transmission cooler - in comparison to other vehicles of its size.

I towed with the same age Outback and it was a good tow - BUT best to stick to a 13' trailer.

The OP just needs to make sure that what ever 13' trailer they buy that it has brakes already on it (or they are willing to pay the money to have a new axle and brakes put on an old trailer) as one of the Subaru requirements is that anything over 1000lbs towed needs to have brakes on it - which pretty well covers just about every fibreglass trailer out there.
I would agree with the comment on the trailer brakes. I towed small boat trailers under 1000 lbs, with the Outback before we purchased the heavier Happier Camper. With brakes on the HC1 it stops so much better than any of the boats did.