Hi, This is Doug and Barb in MD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
Hi, This is Doug and Barb in MD

Hi, this is Doug and Barb in Damascus, MD. We bought a 1983 Scamp 16 this spring and I have been slowly working on it since. It is showing its age, and has had quite a number of modifications. It has a roof AC, which I think is not recommended for Scamps of this age because the roof wasn't designed for the weight. The PO (or the PPO) did a pretty good job of it, since they did account for the structural issues with some steel reinforcement under the unit to tie the weight to the vertical structure of the closets on both sides. The floor under the water tank was simple oatmeal, and that was my first foray into the world of Scamp repair. We saw another Scamp with laminate floor, and loved it, so that made it onto the short list after I had patched about 1/3 of the "dance floor" under the dinette. Very pleased with how that one came out.
I took it out for an inaugural trip to a model airplane event in Geneseo NY where more people were interested in the Scamp than my airplanes! It took me until early October to find an opportunity to get Barb and our two 50-ish pound dogs out, but we had a good time despite the sub-freezing temps and running out of propane for the heater at about 3am. Still very new to the whole RV-trailer camping thing but I'm enjoying the tinkering with the trailer at least as much as the actual camping! Looking forward to more trips in spring and summer, and hope to get to some egg meet-ups.
Thanks
Doug
dbdbgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Doug and Barb
hope you have years of fun
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
This is another Doug in St. Charles, MO. Get a small rivet gun kit, and some rivets assortment from Scamp. Super easy to drill out and replace. Remember to use Butyl tape for areas prone to water intrusion. Scamp is very supportive for owners of vintage Scamps, and they welcome you to the factory for any mods.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote