Hi this is Leon H in Mo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Name: Leon
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2017
Missouri
Hi this is Leon H in Mo

This is Leon and I live in Blue Springs Missouri and I'm thinking about purchasing a 13' Scamp trailer. I have a Subaru Forster with a 4 cylinder engine.
Does anyone have that combination or should I be looking for a different tow vehicle? I'm all ears to any comments about the Scamp 13 ft trailer. What options should I purchase and what I should avoid. Let me know.
Leon H in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Have you checked the owner's manual for the tow limits? If you don't have the manual, a Subaru dealer can run the vin and tell you. Different model years can have somewhat different tow numbers, I think, but there have been people on here who towed 13'ers with Subarus. Usually you have to keep your hitch weight under 200 lbs, which shouldn't be too hard. I recall one person who lived in the PNW (lots of mountains) who felt like the towing duty brought on more maintenance bills for her Subie, but that's the only such comment I can recall reading here over the past few years. Subarus are pretty capable.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe the current generation Foresters only have a 1500 pound limit. That would rule out all but a very basic, lightly optioned 13'er.

Older ones can tow more, but the hitch weight limit of 200 pounds means you are effectively limited to a 2000 trailer in order to maintain the recommended 10% tongue weight. That includes all but the heaviest 13'ers.

Mike is right- read everything your owner's manual says about towing. There are usually some caveats and other warnings.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
I have used a combo of 2007 subaru forester and a trillium outback for a while and it works fine. Just have to watch tongue weight and be patient on long hills. When I first purchased the Trillium it had two 6V batts and two propane tanks up front. Way too much...,my tongue wt. was over 300#! I replaced batts with gel cells in rear storage and dropped one propane tank to get the tonge wt. at around 165#...just right for this vehicle/trailer combo. Think total weight and tongue weight as you shop around. Best wishes.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Name: Leon
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2017
Missouri
Thanks. The manuals does say 1500 with electric brakes.
Leon H in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Yes....I have electric brakes too.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp