Hi to all - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Name: Martha
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Hi to all

Hi. My name is Martha, living in Washington state. I am shopping for a small trailer, but first I am educating myself, so this is going to take a while. I started out looking at the smaller Aliner A frame trailers, as my truck can pull them. Then I saw that I could also pull a small fiberglass trailer. I want to buy used, so I am here learning about what it is like to own and maintain an older trailer.
Martha in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Martha, go to the Document Center. There are a number of documents outlining what to look for when buying a vintage fiberglass trailer. As others have said before, attend a rally if possible so you can see what the different trailers are like. Verify your vehicles towing capacity and make sure there isn't any optional equipment necessary to get to that rating. Look at this document:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

When you are ready to buy, bring cash with you. These trailers go pretty quickly so don't be discouraged if you miss a few. Also don't jump the gun, be very thorough in examining the trailer and if you have any doubts, don't buy it!

And finally, welcome and good luck.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Document Center (in the More tab) also has a pre-purchase inspection checklist. Look for the Buyer’s Guide.

Above and beyond the general list, different brands have different known weaknesses. If you mention models that interest you, you’ll get specific things to watch for.

In my opinion, a small molded fiberglass trailer is a great alternative to a folding trailer. It allows you to take advantage of free overnight parking (where permitted). Sometimes when you’re between destinations, it’s nice to pull over and crawl into the trailer for a few hours’ sleep. And of course, you’ll never have to set it up or fold down in the rain.

Used units are hard to find and the best (condition and price) sell really fast. Lots of scams on Craigslist, though, so be careful.

Best wishes in your “egg hunt”!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Martha First welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of fiberglass trailers. I would suggest you attend a gathering in your area . Most , maybe almost all ,of our members love to show off their trailers . IMO nothing beats actually seeing the various trailers in real life and listening to what the owners have to say about them. Fortunately you live in an area near many such gatherings. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Welcome Martha, from another WA Stater. You don't mention what part or side of the state you're located in, (wife and I are on the west side,) but there are several upcoming fiberglass get-togethers scheduled for the upcoming year in the surrounding area in Washington and Northern Oregon that you may want to attend or stop in at and spend some time, if for no other reason than to have an opportunity to actually see and tour many different trailer types out there. At most of our rallies and get togethers, we generally make a point of seeing and showing our trailers throughout the weekend. You can get a lot of experience, talk to owners about what they like/don't like, see various interior layouts, etc. Many of us just like to compare notes on changes and modifications we made to our rigs. Here's a few upcoming ones you may want to put on your calendar.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-89053.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-90068.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pam-90309.html
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #6

Name: Martha
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Thank you for a warm welcome!

Thank you everyone for such a warm and personal welcome! Lots of great advice! Now I have a template to educate myself and avoid giving into the urge to rush out and buy something and deal with the consequences later.

I might just be able to make some of those fiberglass rallies in my area, to
check out trailers in person, especially the northern Oregon one.

Thanks so much!
-Martha
Martha in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Martha, check out 'Mity Lite' trailers built in Centralia during the mid 1980's. Very rare today, but they can be towed by any decent car, SUV, or small pickup truck as they weigh around 1,000lbs. They have a top that hinges up like the VW Westy campers and are only as wide as a normal car. So easy to tow and only reduce fuel economy by around 2 mpg in the mountains. Much better trailer than any teardrop.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Welcome from the other side of the country, Martha. You mention a truck but don't say what kind... and that can take in a lot of territory!

As my Icon shows, I have a 13' Burro and pulled it for several years with a V-6 Astro mini-van. I just bought a 2009 Trailblazer as my new tow.

My suggestion to you for picking the trailer of your dreams is twofold. First, look at this and every other source you can to see what features you like about which trailers are being shown. There are many types and styles and lots of trailers, so take your time and be thorough.

Second, sit down with a big pad and a pen and make a list of all the features you like and want most, what would be nice, and what would be acceptable. Look at as many floor plans as you can find and match available designs with the features you have listed. If I had done this, I would have probably bought a slightly larger (16'?) trailer with a toilet and shower. I have neither and am limited to campgrounds where a bath house is available, and since I have a 13' trailer, I have make do with making everything as compact as possible and actually spend most of my time for cooking, etc outside. In fact, I tell people sometimes I have to step outside to change my mind!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #9

Name: Benny
Trailer: Casita
Washington
We live in our 2011 17ft SD @ Lake Steven's, Wa.
If you are close you could take a look at ours.
Bgreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #10

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
Hi Martha, I recommend an Escape trailer made by Escape Industries in Canada, in Chilliwack, British Columbia near the US border - www.escapetrailer.com. For about two years now, I have been living full-time in their 19-foot trailer with no problems and it's very comfortable and works well. Used Escapes will also be top quality as they are very well made - and light!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #11

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Get a Bigfoot and never look back. The point is everyone has a favorite based on features, price, etc etc. IMHO the best advice is to decide how you want to use it. Then see as many as you can at rallies or wherever and make a short list. And relax about it. If the first one isn’t “it” they’re easy to sell to find the right one. It’s a fun journey.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote