Hi, Trey here with a Trillium, Ottawa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: rv
Ontario
Hi, Trey here with a Trillium, Ottawa

Hi, I am getting a Trillium 1300 back on the road so we can go camping in July!! Needs a bit of work, but my dad said its in decent shape.

Looking for a few answers though first, if anyone can help.

1. What year is my trillium 1300 - serial is 13-2205168. Looks like a 78 or 80?

2. What tires are recommended to replace the old ones with A7813 w.4.5 X 13

3. Would a 2014 CRV EX tow this model? CRV has a 1500lbs max tow, and the trailer if '78-80, should be 1200lbs dry? from what I read. Would I need elec. brakes on the trailer?

4. Any other suggestions, things to check, recommendations in repair etc.

5. Air conditioning, a small window or portable should be fine in this? We have a new born, so need some AC

Love the info on this site!

Thank you all.
Trey
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20160619-01905.jpg   IMG-20160619-01904.jpg  

IMG-20160619-01906.jpg   IMG-20160619-01907.jpg  

treydardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #2

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry

Love the green kitchen.

Check the Trailer weights in the real world thread...my guess is that loaded with gear and water it would be well above 1500. My scamp was "950 dry according to the factory" when built, but in the real world it weighs about 1400lbs with water/food/camping gear/etc.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
A few things to check

Trey,

Congratulations on your new to you Trillium! If you haven't already done so, the following checks should be made:

- wheel bearings greased and inspected
- frame checked for cracks
- exterior running lights function
- correct size hitch ball
- prefer reasonable match of hitch receiver height (Trillium coupler height is 16" to 18")
- matched trailer hitch electrical connector

Also, it would be worthwhile to check the condition of the body to frame bolts, although even if they are original, should be OK. The Trillium 1300 has 6 bolts. My Trillium 4500 had original bolts (8) when I bought it. Most were badly rusted, but still very difficult to remove.

Regarding the year manufactured question, you could send a private message to David Tilston. He has a running list of Trillium serial numbers, and also seems to know detailed differences between model years.

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Tires, etc

Trey, I have used both ST175/80D13 and ST185/80D13 trailer tires on my Trillium. Others have used different tires such as radial trailer tires.

Regarding possible problem areas for the Trillium, the following are covered in other threads in this forum:

- rot in the wood frame around the inside of each window, and in some portions of the plywood in the floor (under foot and inside benches)
- swelling of the metal plates behind the "belly band" molding
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trey,
Congats on both the Trillium and the baby. Babies change EVERYTHING! Fortunately, your trailer is good for at least two kids. I have five kids, (and six Trilliums). How then can I use a trailer this small? We tow with a Travel van that has a back bench that folds down to a bed. My wife and I sleep in the van. The kids are in the trailer.

There are problems, and then there are PROBLEMS!!!!

I have said, in the past, that there are four major maintenance items, that need to be addressed on a Trillium. But, after reading John in Michigan's posts above, I would have to agree, the bolts are a must to change. The others that need to be looked at are:
The belly band:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html
The windows:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-65342.html
The door:
Got nothing. Not happy with my last attempt.
The axle:
After 40 years, yeah, it needs to be replaced. Get one with brakes.

BIG PROBLEMS would be rotten wood in the floor. This feels like spongy spots in the floor, or all over the floor. The floor should be quite stiff. Also a sagging front curb side. The door is a rather large structural flaw in the shell. Sometimes the front, curb side sags. This can be seen by standing on the tongue and looking down the curb side flat section of the roof. If the part of the roof over the closet forms an obvious high point, bad. Also, try placing a straight edge, on the floor, with one end near the fridge door, and the other end towards the trailer door. If the floor appears to sag, towards the door, also bad. If these problem are found on a Trillium that you are looking at, then just walk away.

If I had to guess, (which I do) then based on the Trillium serial number list:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post591982
I would guess your trailer is a 1977. It should be noted that there are some rather large gaps in the list, in this area.

I would describe your option package as deluxe. I know that Trillium used that description for the 4500's, but I am not exactly sure that label applies to 1300's. You have the options:
Window in the door
Furnace
Converter
Upper shelves and the associated lights

The only major option missing is a kitchen window. All the 4500's have one.

Curiously, you don't have a porta pottie garage. That is a door in the front of the gaucho, right against the right side near the entry door for the trailer.

What is up with your Ensolite? Bad paint job?

Also looks like you are missing the back / upper bunk for your gaucho.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: rv
Ontario
Hi, Thanks everyone for your input. Great forum with quick replies.

I spoke to my dad, and he was saying we will need a few days or a week to get this ready. Its been sitting awhile.

I will take the advice I received on here, and it is very helpful to know the year of the trillium, and suggestions.

Camp trip delayed for now, but I will likely be back.

thanks again, keep up the good work.
trey
treydardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #7

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
"Curiously, you don't have a porta potty garage"

My 1300 Trillium doesn't have one either. Other than that, this one appears to be exactly like mine, which we have surmised to be a 1977 because of it's serial number, in spite of it's 1978 ownership.
Mine also has the power converter, the furnace (which was removed by a PO) and I bet there are two drawers inside the gaucho drawer which is in Trey's trailer, just like mine. My frig is an icebox...perhaps Trey's is a working frig?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Anne-Marie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Weight

My Trillium 1300 weighs about 1580 lbs. with
a full propane tank and no water in tank. It
has a slightly larger than stock battery and
about 50 lbs of additional rear bumper weight.
Loaded for travel the trailer weighs about 1750 lbs?
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Drawers

I have a set of those drawers in my '75. Interesting.
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
1300Trill ComBo

..A 1300Trillium with bunk and A/C, a tent, a minivan and a..F.G canoe in recent trip...Just a share...
Attached Thumbnails
20160702_153908.jpg   20160704_180705.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:27 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Trey and welcome to the forum and the Trillium club. Lots of good advice so far. I would suggest removing you door latch, clean and lubricate it. Reinstall with butyl tape. The Bargman latches are no longer made and very, very expensive to replace. Yours appears to be an L300.

As for towing with a CRV, in my opinion the 1500lb limit is really directed to small boats and utility trailers not large frontal area travel trailers. Will it do it. I suspect it will. But the wear and tear could be costly. It also could void the warranty. No matter what you tow with, get brakes.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need help. That's what this forum is all about. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, Trey here with a Trillium, Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
...As for towing with a CRV, in my opinion the 1500lb limit is really directed to small boats and utility trailers not large frontal area travel trailers. Will it do it. I suspect it will. But the wear and tear could be costly. It also could void the warranty. No matter what you tow with, get brakes...
Welcome, Trey!

An auxiliary transmission fluid cooler would help forestall some of the wear and tear. I agree it's going to be marginal. Pack lightly and don't plan to be in a hurry. Air resistance increases as the square of speed! Electric trailer brakes are important but may require a new axle.

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium