Hi! *waves* - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #41

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
And there's another one of the other Scamp decals with the trees either on the back or other side.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
The VIN is the best measure.
But only if its been given to the OP correctly - a simple change from an I to a 1 changes it from a 1987 to a 2001.

Normally I would say the same with only a fuzzy photo to look at but if it doesnt have rat fur thats a pretty clear indicator its pre 90's.

The OP will have to take a look at the tail lights to see if the surface of them is flat which would indicate the seller changed them to LED as you say but in the fuzzy photo it appears they are the old wedding cake tiered ones...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #43

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hey Kim. Good to see someone else from N.C. Yea, those are hard to find around here. I was fortunate to find two. Bought a 2002 16' and then bought the 2002 19' a month later and sold the 16' to a great couple in Charlotte. Maybe we can get enough on the east coast to have a get together one day. I'd check the VIN to make sure all matches and is good. These FG units are worth what you want to pay for it. Unless it's in really bad shape it's a good price. You could clean it and make money on it at that price. Go for it and good luck.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #44

Oh yea, I forgot. I agree that you can find almost any part you need from scamp at a decent price. It's the shipping that gets us here. I'd make a list and get in bulk.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #45

Registry
[QUOTE=_Kd_;391431 I paid $2500 for it so i expect to work for it. When i get it home i'm going to start a checklist. (a very overwhelming checklist lol)[/QUOTE]

For that price as others have said its a good deal and you should do just fine with it!

For confirmation of that there is a 82 for sale in Oregon currently for $5950. Funny enough it looks a lot like yours! Complete with the decals and wedding cake lights
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #46

Carol, 5,370 post. Very impressive S**t.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #47

SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

But only if its been given to the OP correctly - a simple change from an I to a 1 changes it from a 1987 to a 2001.

Normally I would say the same with only a fuzzy photo to look at but if it doesnt have rat fur thats a pretty clear indicator its pre 90's.

The OP will have to take a look at the tail lights to see if the surface of them is flat which would indicate the seller changed them to LED as you say but in the fuzzy photo it appears they are the old wedding cake tiered ones...
The lights are not flat. I remember thinking that when I looked at them Wednesday.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Carol, 5,370 post. Very impressive S**t.
Well I have had a number of years to work on it but no way I will ever take the crown from Donna for her impressive 18,700 plus!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #49

Yes Right! Didn't see that one. 18,716

DONNA so sorry mighty MASTER.

How can you forgive a small grasshopper like me???????
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #50

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
We all are in awe of Donna, and not just her post count.
Kim, Don't feel like you have been deceived, if the only difference in the serial number is an I vs a 1, I could see some DMV clerk making that mistake. The guy that sold it to you probably believed it was a 2001. I have a bit of a project going concerning the year vs the serial numbers of Trillium trailers.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post390493
There is a surprising amount of discrepancy between the year that the owners claim, and what the manufacture date is. I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the Trillium trailers are at least one year older then they claim. I don't believe this is deception, just there was a lag between construction, and sale. People would register their trailer as made in the year they bought it. That does not explain some of the big discrepancies. I own a 1972? that is registered as a 1979, but the serial number matches.
You paid a good price 2001, or 1991. I totally prefer Ensolite and jalousie windows anyway.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #51

SouthEast
Registry
I need to give all of you a bow Well I have the big 26 posts. Haha maybe that makes me the youngest for once....c'mon I'll take what I can get.

I'm not going to stress over the year. I don't feel deceived by the PO...just by life...sheesh it's always something. But I really thought that parts of it 'appeared older' but I could also tell by going there that the PO just took care of their things different than I would...making it appear older. But my first step today is going to get a hitch put on the Xterra. Then...drive 20 miles into the country to pick it up. I feel weird saying that knowing that some of you drive soooo far to pick these up. I remember my dad asking me not too long ago where I was looking for one to buy...I told him up to 500 miles...he told me quick that I was going to have to expand that search. And now I see why he said that.

As long as I can get a tag with no problem then i guess the year is irrelevant. Thank you guys for making me realize that. After I shine her up. She'll look good as new. And I guess she actually looks pretty darn good for her age.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #52

SouthEast
Registry
Is it safe to assume that this camper doesn't have brakes? I called to get a hitch and was asked so many questions that I didn't know the answer to. So when I call to get a hitch what exactly do I ask for? I have a 2007 Nissan xterra.

I feel so duh.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #53

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kim, the only way to be certain is to look. TYPICALLY, 13' Scamps weren't built nor ordered with brakes. But, that doesn't mean that it doesn't. Typically is a word kinda like Assume. Doesn't mean much to you at this point. One place to check is the electrical hookup to the tug. What does it look like? Round, flat, 7-pin, 4-pin?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #54

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
One other consideration for pick-up the earlier Scamps came with 1 7/8" ball hitch. The later trailers have a 2" ball hitch. With that trailer I would venture to say it's a 1 7/8" ball hitch. But always take a 2" set up if you are not sure.
If you use the temp. magnetic lights you will need a 4 pin flat connector to get it home.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Kim I think this is the best part about our eggs, they're pretty "timeless". The fact that one Scamp is tough to tell from another, even though they may have been made a decade or more apart, shows that with a minimal amount of care, you could have a 20-year-old trailer that looks as good as one 5 years old. And once the customizations start, it's anybody's guess. Pretty much everything on them is DIY if you have the time and desire. This site enables all of that, I've been reading older stuff and always make a few notes about things that I might consider doing to mine.

They make adapters for the trailer plug, but make sure what kind is on the trailer, as they're not real cheap. Scamp used several different connectors, plus the possibility that the PO changed it. Walmart also carries some if you need a different one.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #56

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Welcome Kim. This has turned out to be a great thread for buyers and what to look out for. Unfortunately for me, I found this forum after I had already purchased. I had so much to learn. And I did learn quickly. I thought it was in great condition--and it was for its age. But there was a lot to do after I got it to bring it up to my satisfaction. The seller had done a lot of updating to make it current. eg new blue cushions, new tail lights, new 7-pin connector to TV. I'm glad I didn't have to validate the year based on the trailers parts. I just took a blind leap of faith that it was what they said--in this case a '77 13' Scamp. I've had some surprises that needed work after I bought it. But that didn't bother me a bit. I'm happy I made that leap and I'm sure you will too. You got a great deal. Personally, I think I would get the title issue straighted out before I bought it though. Everything else doesn't really matter. Just be sure you have a clean title. I got the PO to go with me to get the title transferred because the grandson was selling it for the grandfather (original owner) who was in the hospital. I wanted to be sure the signature would be accepted by the DMV with no surprises. It went well and I'm a happy camper (since 8/2012). Hope it all works out well for you and you make many great memories in it.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #57

SouthEast
Registry
The seller just text me and said she's at the Camping place where they bought it and they called the DMV and its a 2001. Grrr Am I gonna have to drive out there and compare the title to the vin on the camper myself? Goodness. So as far as the DMV goes the title is fine so I'm good to go. I guess I need to get the rest of my $$ together and get out there and get this thing before they sell it out from under me. I guess the year of the Scamp will always be up in the air until I get her fixed up and get her out there for experienced eyes to look at. Or take lots of pics for you guys
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #58

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's very common for trailers to be "retitled" for one reason or another, in which case the "model year" will be given as that year in which the new Title was issued. I wouldn't sweat this at all, again, provided that the VIN on the title is an exact match to the one stamped on the trailer tongue.

Scamp is one of the few FgT manufacturers that permanently stamped VIN numbers there (top of right side tongue frame member), and if that number matches the one on the Title, you're good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #59

SouthEast
Registry
To clarify...you guys are my experienced eyes. I meant if there was a meetup of sorts soon.

I'm pretty sure Four Paws Kingdom has a Casita rally yearly...it's a campground totally for dogs here in NC. Just throwing that out there for the Casita owners.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #60

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Francesca makes a good point. As long as the vin on trailer and title match, you will be okay. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote