Hi we are a couple getting ready to renovate our 1976 beachcomber - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #15

Name: Frederic
Trailer: 1976 beachcomber
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerfunk View Post
Hi Frederic, I also have a Beachcomber and noticed a soft spot at the door so I thought I would quickly rebuild the area around the door. LOL That was four days ago, I have now ripped out about one quarter of the wall paneling and insulation and I can see it is going to be a total gut job by the time I am finished. I am lucky enough to have space in my garage so I can keep it out of the rain for the winter while I work on it. I am looking forward to reading your progress and comparing notes with you. cheers

Hey there,

How are you taking the wood strapping that is glued with resin to the walls... we had some that just pulled off because of the rotting wood. That is our biggest challenge. We have also parked it in our garage to work on it this winter. How is the condition of your exterior roof? I have attached some photos to show you in what condition our roof is in, it seams to be weak. I wonder if it needs some care?

Tks for the message

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3999.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	111227Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4001.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	111228Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3997.JPG
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	111229Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3990.JPG
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	111230

Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: Beachcomber
British Columbia
I have a tool called a sonicrafter that works wonders for removing the old strapping. It has a flat 3/4 inch wide blade that you can slide along one edge between the fiberglass and the strapping, it then just pops off. I will try and do some pics tomorrow although doing that will be another learning curve for me. I have not got as far as taking down any roof panels yet but when looking from the outside it reminds me of the rolling hills of Alberta. I will be going to the local building supply to get a couple of those screw jacks to support it before I tackle that job. I'm not doing any more dismantling for the next two weeks as there is a show and shine vintage rv gathering in Sooke BC on Sept 15 and 16th so my wife and I are throwing an air matterss on the floor of the trailer and going to see if we can get some inspiration there.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #17

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Those soft spots in the floor...we so hear you!

Happy revamping.

You'll never wonder what's behind the paneling or floor wood again. You'll kNOW.

BEST
Kai
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #18

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Tools

Chisling with a wood chisle sounds too much like work!

Funk's sonicrafter sounds a lot like the vibrating multitool I got from Harbor Freight. You can attach different blades to it. It just vibrates and the blade buzz cuts through fiberglass, or plywood, or panelling, or... We'll, you get the idea. And it's precise too.

I've used it to separate wood floor from fiberglass sandwich, and to cut access holes in the shell, and to cut odd shaped replacement panels, and... We'll, you get the idea.

Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber