Hi, We are John and Vicky - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Looking
Pennsylvania
Hi, We are John and Vicky

Looking at FG RV's, specifically an Oliver or a Bigfoot. Figured we'd sign up and see what others are saying about these 2 great trailers. One question for you folks.....why no Bigfoots east of the Rockies? And if i do go that route, what would i do about warranty issues with no dealers out this way?
GrandPaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Hi John and Vicky. Welcome.
Both brands are excellent.
Bigfoot is built in British Columbia thus the western presence. Oliver is Tennessee. Closer to you.
I have a Bigfoot and for me, as a Canadian, I am loyal to Bigfoot. That said, Oliver look to be excellent quality.
You are right, for any warranty service, it is good to be positioned closer to the factory. That said, these brands are not built like regular RVs.
Most of the stuff out of Indiana is pretty much good looking but not built for the long haul. A lot are vacubond walls which can soak up water pretty well. Big issue.
Fiberglass unit’s like Bigfoot and Oliver are constructed like boats. Water doesn’t touch them as long as you keep up with the sealants - sealants make the seal between parts and covering screws etc. No sealant means water entry!
You need to calculate your tow vehicle accordingly so do your homework.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Name: Joe
Trailer: Looking for BigFoot 25
Iowa
John, I called the BigFoot factory asked Grant the same question. He said that for warranty issues you find an RV dealer in your area (not a BigFoot dealer) and have them call BF to workout the repairs and cost. They then bill BF and get paid direct from BF. IMO the BigFoot is superior to the Oliver. I would compare the BigFoot more along the lines of an Airstream interior.
earthspun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
John.
Joe is right. I live in a city which doesn’t have a BF dealer but I do work and submit. Not a problem.
The reason I bought BF is the quality. Not taking anything away from Oliver but I am picky to a fault.
That said, I have not found one issue in my 25FB since day one. No lie.
It tows like a dream. Tracks straight as an arrow.
A lot of people like the RQ. For us, we like the FB as it is so open.
Choices choices!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #5

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi John and Vicky,

Welcome! We love our little Casita, but if we decide to go bigger at retirement, we will definitely consider a BF (probably a 21'), an Oliver (they are located only 2.5 hours from our home), or an Escape 21'. Given your preferences, you can't go wrong with either the BF or Ollie.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Also, consider that service issues fall into 2 categories. First, there are structural issues that are the builders mistakes. Loose or misaligned doors, improperly attached cabinets would be two. Both Bigfoot and Oliver and other molded fiberglass trailers have very few structural issues but can find a local facility if needed. Second, there are component issues. Things like water pumps, refrigerators, furnaces are not built by Bigfoot or Oliver but can be repaired under warranty at many local or regional facilities supported by the component manufacturer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Looking
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone. All good advice. I'll be lurking and reading old posts for awhile.
GrandPaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote