Hi, we're Leslie and David from Quadra Island, BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi, we're Leslie and David from Quadra Island, BC

We have only owned our 1973 Boler 1300 for about a week. She is in pretty good original shape but I have removed the axle in preparation to replace it. The frame is in good shape so I will be leaving that alone. My wife was planning on sewing new cushions but the 70s vintage green vinyl/hounds tooth covers are in good shape so we may just replace the foam and stay with the tacky 70s theme?

Overall, we plan to keep her as original as possible and just repair, update or rebuild the existing systems. The original paint is not bad if a little dull. There are some stress cracks in the gelcoat which I plan to do some refurbishment on and we may do a Zep to restore some of the shine.

We are recovering sailors/cruisers having owned a 37 ' fibreglass sloop for the last 13 years. Over the years, we learned that cruising in a sailboat is actually just doing boat repairs in exotic places! We are looking forward to the simplicity of the Boler (along with no moorage fees, haul-outs etc.) At 42 years old, Our Boler is old for a trailer but that is nothing for a fibreglass sailboat!

BTW, Quadra Island is one of the Northern Gulf Islands and is located a 10 minute ferry ride from Campbell River, BC, which is on Vancouver Island.
greenghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, your Boler sounds in great shape. We love pictures
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you David! Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

A couple of personal thoughts (YMMV) your trailer didn't come from the factory painted, that's gelcoat. Kinda like a hottub or fiberglass boat. You can read/search about a lot of different things folks have done to bring the shine back. But you do know shine on the trailer doesn't equate to memories you'll make right?

And, these all-molded-towables, while valuable to the owners (when in original shape), doesn't make it more valuable to the outside world. Mod/change things to make this the perfect trailer for you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to FGRV Leslie and David
Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good for you David! Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

A couple of personal thoughts (YMMV) your trailer didn't come from the factory painted, that's gelcoat. Kinda like a hottub or fiberglass boat. You can read/search about a lot of different things folks have done to bring the shine back. But you do know shine on the trailer doesn't equate to memories you'll make right?

And, these all-molded-towables, while valuable to the owners (when in original shape), doesn't make it more valuable to the outside world. Mod/change things to make this the perfect trailer for you.
Hi Donna;
Thanks for the tips. I was using the word "paint" incorrectly; as in the generic sense to describe the quality of the finish. As a former fibreglass sailboat owner and having built a stitch and glue boat, I have way spent way too much time doing blister repairs, polishing dull gelcoat, and other fibreglass fun!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #6

Name: Naomi
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Another West Coaster!

Love seeing another West Coaster in the forum

I'm in the Comox Valley. Hoping to have my own Boler or small fibreglassRV equivalent sometime soon - in the market for a project one to fix up and make fabulous.

Welcome!
superartgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superartgirl View Post
Love seeing another West Coaster in the forum

I'm in the Comox Valley. Hoping to have my own Boler or small fibreglassRV equivalent sometime soon - in the market for a project one to fix up and make fabulous.

Welcome!
Hi Naomi:
The Comox Valley is a great place and we lived there for a couple of years before we moved to Quadra Island, to be closer to my work. We might just move back there too! Looking for a decent used Boler is a tough project on its own. We looked for over 8 months and were willing to travel a fair bit too.

The last one we looked at before buying the one we have, was pretty much a total wreck (floor rotted out, frame rusted badly, appliances all shot, cushions moldy and rotten, interior wrecked from leaks and exterior had a lousy peeling re-paint job), but still priced at $2,000 CAD! I am SO glad we passed on that one and found a much nicer one. Not perfect but decent. The previous unit had nothing left salvageable but the fibreglass egg and that needed a ton of work too!

My point is that, be patient and find the right unit. It won't be cheap but it is simpler and cheaper in the long run to buy a trailer that has "good bones" than a total wreck. Whenever a seller says a unit "just needs a little TLC", I am reminded of the friend who joked that a little TLC will fix anything, and went on to say that stands for Tools, Labour and Cash!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenghost45 View Post
Whenever a seller says a unit "just needs a little TLC", I am reminded of the friend who joked that a little TLC will fix anything, and went on to say that stands for Tools, Labour and Cash!
haha! It's funny because it's TRUE!

Do you happen to know what years the Bolers had fibreglass floors instead of wood David? I'm curious to find out.

Sounds like you found the right one for you guys! Can't wait to follow your reno on here and see photos of it. Have fun with it! And I will definitely take your advice on patience... I don't want to end up with a lemon, but a little rough around the edges is fine.
superartgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #9

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
welcome

Welcome, maybe we will see you at the Bolerama in Nanaimo at Living Forest June 26th to 28th or in Sooke at the Sooke River campground September 18th to 20th. If the trailer is not ready and you are willing to switch islands, drop in for a visit and pick up some tips.
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superartgirl View Post
haha! It's funny because it's TRUE!

Do you happen to know what years the Bolers had fibreglass floors instead of wood David? I'm curious to find out.

Sounds like you found the right one for you guys! Can't wait to follow your reno on here and see photos of it. Have fun with it! And I will definitely take your advice on patience... I don't want to end up with a lemon, but a little rough around the edges is fine.
Our Boler is a 1973 built in Peace River AB, by Glass-Fab Industries. It has the all fibreglass floor with no floor coverings, so the floor looks a bit like a bath tub! But that is all fine with us because it reminds us of sailboat cockpit Other than a few places with plywood tabs glassed in to create attachments or reinforcements, there is no plywood in our Boler; Yippee!

I honestly don't know which years came with all glass floors and which had plywood. I think that some were a composite of plywood and glass. There were so many different Boler builders over the years, in different locations, I am not sure if there is a definitive answer to that question. Someone else on this site may be able to give you a better answer. I do know that ALL of the Bolers that I looked at with plywood floors, had rot in the plywood and needed repair or replacement. Once water gets into plywood, it travels and wicks like crazy. If you find a soft spot or any water/rot damage, I can almost guarantee you are looking at the tip of the iceberg. When you open up the damaged area, the extent and degree of the rot will be far greater than you imagined!

You should check out the Boler buyer's guides, if you have not already done so. Here is a new one from FGRV member from Calgary located here Buyers Guide to Common Boler Trailer Problems
Have fun trailer shopping!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
A BIG WELCOME to another great Boler owner
You will find the gang here enthusiastic and very helpful
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome! Can't wait to see pictures. As a Scamp owner I consider Bolers to be "family". As opposed to distant kin like the Casita, UHaul, & Trills. One of which is surely a somewhat eccentric relative, problem is I can never remember which one is the eccentric one and which two are "normal" ;-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome to FGRV

FGRV is the "Mother Ship" of all the brand specific forums.

Here is the one for Boler:

Boler Life - owning and working on a little egg

Enjoy your egg. There is something special about our rigs.
Maybe because they are so darn cute!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Welcome! Every egg is special. That's why we love them.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
If you are looking for website dedicated to all aspects of the 13' Boler please visit "boler-camping.com", it is The Complete Guide to 13′ Boler Fiberglass Trailers
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 Foot
British Columbia
Welcome!

Welcome to the love of Fiberglass Trailer Camping. We have a 1972 13 foot boler and have had oodles of fun! We took our first trip to the Northern Gulf Islands last summer and took a day trip to Quadra and really enjoyed your Island! Don't forget to come camp with us here on the Mainland and indeed come join us in Fort Langley on May 22 - 24th for the Glass Egg Meet. Lots of fiberglass rigs to see and give you reno ideas for yours! We would all love to see you there! Naomi

https://www.facebook.com/events/881243891895921/

https://sites.google.com/site/bcglasseggs/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BC-Gl...29154263830423
Boler Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #17

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Congrats on your new trailer! Do post some pics when you get a chance.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote