Hi, we're new to the forum and FG world .. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
My suggestion is to determine which trailer you would like to have, buy the tug then the trailers..
I respectfully disagree in this order of buying.

Used all-molded-towables, at a price point a buyer is willing to pay, with the desired layout, in acceptable condition, within reasonably close driving distance to buy are very hard to find. You can buy a tow vehicle on any street corner

I'd shop for the trailer first. It would be a disaster if the absolutely perfect trailer came along and THEN you found out it exceeded the tow weight of your brand new tow vehicle. Or the opposite happens and that perfect trailer doesn't need such a large, powerful tow vehicle. You could have saved some money...

Good luck on your egg hunt!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd shop for the trailer first. It would be a disaster if the absolutely perfect trailer came along and THEN you found out it exceeded the tow weight of your brand new tow vehicle.
Absolutely. A small fiberglass trailer in good shape is always in high demand and hard to find. Knock out the hard part first, then the easy.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #31

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I too am a HUGE advocate of first determining what trailer will suit you needs, and then figure out what a tow vehicle that suits your needs, and meets or exceeds the weight capacities of the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #32

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I think a few people might have misunderstood this person's post and that he really agrees with you.

S(he) said to look at weights first. I think maybe he means that you see which trailer you want and what tow vehicle works for it. And then you buy the tow vehicle and go get the trailer. I think he is saying not to tow with the present vehicle if it does not meet the weights. Go get a suitable tow vehicle for the trailer decided upon.

That is what we had to do. Can't pick up the trailer without a tow vehicle! But we knew the trailer and model we wanted before we bought the tug, which was bought specifically to tow that particular trailer.

Of course, if a person is considering some very rare trailer that almost never comes up, that is another consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I respectfully disagree in this order of buying.

Used all-molded-towables, at a price point a buyer is willing to pay, with the desired layout, in acceptable condition, within reasonably close driving distance to buy are very hard to find. You can buy a tow vehicle on any street corner

I'd shop for the trailer first. It would be a disaster if the absolutely perfect trailer came along and THEN you found out it exceeded the tow weight of your brand new tow vehicle. Or the opposite happens and that perfect trailer doesn't need such a large, powerful tow vehicle. You could have saved some money...

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #33

Name: Jack
Trailer: Snoozy on Order
Virginia
Good advice here. I would not tow with your vehicle. Not safe. We ordered a Fiberglass camper named Lil Snoozy. We owned a 2013 Prius. It could tow a butterfly if it had skates on. So we ended up buying a used 2015 Pickup with a tow package. Best wishes to you.
If I won the award for laziness, I would send somebody to pick it up for me.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #34

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Cathi..
Thanks for providing the additional clarity that some folks may have needed in reading my reply.. Bottom line is don't tow anything with a vehicle not designed to pull the weight you want to tow..
Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A quick search of the registry turned up 8 people towing with CR-Vs and 6 more with Elements (same drivetrain). All were basic 13'ers. In addition, Bob posted his experiences earlier in this thread, and the late Bob Miller (who was about as hawkish as anyone I know on the subject of overweight towing) towed a 13' Lil Bigfoot with a 2007 CR-V. (And of course, there is Norm, who pulled a 16' Scamp all over North America.)

A CR-V is limited in what it is rated to tow, and I do not recommend exceeding the rating, but I am confident it can safely and reliably tow what Honda says it will. Do heed all the fine print in the owner's manual regarding towing.