Hi, we're new to the forum and FG world .. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #61

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
David Tilston: great photo-only assessment!

I'd add this: upholstery is done on the supercheap. Rear dinette curtains not big enough to cover window properly, and upholstery really calls for heavier duty fabric than curtaining. Also, no way to know if that is proper upholstery or what. Looks oddly made.

An in-person inspection with our FGRV buyer's checklist in hand and adhered to is the only way to really know. (And even then...) There are some businesses that will go out and inspect it for you, but you're still relying on someone else. It DOES have a shiny finish. But all that glitters isn't gold!

Totally agree about not seeing the floor--and seeing isn't necessarily believing. Ours had lovely Pergo, well-installed--over a rotted floor. (And a bathtub bottom on the rig, fiberglass underneath, so you couldn't easily spot the rot).

James/ Salchicha excellent advice from all--glad you asked on FGRV. Wise move.

BEST of luck!
Happy hunting...
and then
Happy Trails!

Kai
Old 04-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #62

Name: James
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Thumbs up Thanks everyone

I am blown away by what you can all tell from a photo! ( Though I did notice the upholstery was weirdly baggy- that was about it!).

Its a fair schlep from us so I think based on your assessment we won't rush to get there but we'll take a look if it is still available when we go in a few weeks time. ( I'm doubtful as all Trilliums and Bolers seem to go at lightening speed around here.)
Salchicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 AM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salchicha View Post
I am blown away by what you can all tell from a photo! ( Though I did notice the upholstery was weirdly baggy- that was about it!).
Dave's the Trill guru....bet with a couple more pics his post would have been twice as long .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #64

British Columbia
Next question

What is the cost/ time involved in changing/ fixing a frame?

Any other thoughts on this ad?
https://victoria.craigslist.ca/rvs/d...555068028.html

(We are finding the feedback you are all able to give us so helpful as we go about our search. Thank you!)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #65

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This post is in response to the new Craiglist post, just before mine.
I am frequently sarcastic, but this is not intended as sarcasm. Clearly if you have welding skills, as some here do, any frame work would be easier. It may be possible to buy a complete replacement frame.

There are two ways to interpret the seller's remarks about the frame:
Is he just providing full disclosure and honestly doesn't know the condition?

Or, does he know more than he is saying and covering his, uh bases?

I sure don't know, so the frame should be the focus of an inspection. Maybe it could be raised on a lift, if it checks all your other boxes.

I tend to believe it is full disclosure, but get an estimate for a new frame, then decide if there is still value. I am no judge.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #66

British Columbia
Thanks Tom.

No welding skills. Does anyone on here have any idea of costs of getting a new frame? ( Or where we would go for that?)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #67

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
From looking at the ad James, the write up sure seems to be on the level with no cover up of known frame issues .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #68

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hard to say why the seller drew attention to the frame, but s/he is being upfront about the weight, which is a good sign. Checking the frame carefully would be an important part of the pre-purchase inspection of any trailer this age. Pay special attention to the main rails just under the front cabin around where they bend to form the A-frame, especially on the driver's side. Some issues can be repaired without a full frame rebuild/replacement.

That and other Boler-specific issues to look for can be found in Ian G's Boler Guide. You may want to print and use the other document in the link also, a generic pre-purchase checklist.

The Boler in the linked ad appears to be sitting a bit higher than stock. That probably means it's had a new axle, not unusual given the age. The seller doesn't mention it, so it was probably done by a previous owner, but it'd be worth asking. That's a plus if done right. I'd check the installation while you're looking at the frame. Brakes aren't mentioned, so check to see if the axle has a square mounting flange behind the wheel. That would allow you to add them.

Other miscellaneous observations... Ball size is incorrect in the ad, probably 1-7/8"- seller may be confusing it with the receiver opening, which could be 1-1/4" Class I on a Kia Forte. It has a 120V dorm fridge in place of the original icebox, a drawback since it only works if you have power. No furnace. Cabinet doors look nice, and the interior appears generally clean. Check the attachment ledge for the upper bunk if you plan to use it. No mention of a battery or any 12V system. Tires (verify dates) are 5 years old- should have a year or two left, but I'd probably figure on replacing the two on the road if I were planning a long trip. Sounds like an older paint job is just starting to fail- might have to deal with that at some point, but it doesn't affect your ability to use the trailer now.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #69

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
The CL posting has been deleted by its author.

Disappointing--maybe. You may have missed the deal of the year, or dodged some bullets. If I miss a buy, I like to think of it as dodging bullets. Makes me sleep more peacefully.

More will become available. Don't give up!

BEST
Kai