Hi, y'all (from an expectant Scamp parent) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13', "Eggcentric"
Wisconsin
Registry
Hi, y'all (from an expectant Scamp parent)

2012 13' Scamp, toilet/shower model ('cause my GF says that at our age a toilet is a very good idea). Due date 9/23 (the egg, not the GF ... and the toilet somewhat earlier.)

The Scamp (tentatively named Eggcentric) doesn't have AC, 'tho Scamp says it's braced for a roof-mount. I'm not sure that I want the extra weight up there. Is anyone using a portable AC in their FGRV? It wouldn't get a lot of use up here in the northwoods, and a portable unit could ride in the pickup (with the dogs) for warm weather travel.

TIA,
hobofoto in northern wisconsin
hobofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Rick.
I see you're pretty excited........LOL
And for good reason.

There will be Scamp owners along soon.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A 13' Scamp with front bath is tiny inside at best and finding space for a portable a/c will be next to impossible. Beside that, they require external vents etc, a real PITA.

I would look at the roof top unit if I HAD to have one. There are some with lower profiles available.

Robert & Myra
former 13' Front Bath Scamp owners

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Rick, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums, I'm betting some will be along shortly.

Did you get a Fantastic Fan? Many people have found it works very, very well for cooling down a small trailer, especially at night.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
my new scamp

Our 13 is due Dec 30th. Should be fun to go pick it up that time of year. We too opted out of AC. I have seen some nice portable installs in the closet with venting thru the floor. That way you leave it home most of the time. Most of our camping is in the Spring and Fall. Any Summer trips usually involve Lake Superior which often keeps the nights cool. Daytime we are outside.

Good luck with you new baby, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #6

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Hi Rick, welcome to FiberglassRV. You will always get the answers to your questions here. It may take a day or so but it will come. Glad your on this site.

Where is Wisc. are you. I was born and raised in Superior. Always loved the north, even though I now live in Fl. The north is always on my mind.

Good luck with your unit and we'll talk again

Mike
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobofoto View Post
The Scamp (tentatively named Eggcentric) doesn't have AC, 'tho Scamp says it's braced for a roof-mount. I'm not sure that I want the extra weight up there. Is anyone using a portable AC in their FGRV? It wouldn't get a lot of use up here in the northwoods, and a portable unit could ride in the pickup (with the dogs) for warm weather travel.

TIA,
hobofoto in northern wisconsin
Welcome Rick, the previous owner of my trailer gave me a portable AC & a custom made bracket that goes in the back window when needed. The first year I had the trailer and I was heading into warm weather areas I packed the AC in the tug & ended up using it once. I ended up added a Fantastic Fan and since then I havent brought the AC along in 5 years of camping although I have camped lots of times in areas with temps in the high 90's low 100's. I dont spend much time in the trailer during the day and the fan does a good job of cooling things down most nights. Normally only have a couple of days of camping a year where I think the AC would have been nice but have decided it really isnt worth the space it takes up packing it. If the weather is unbearable hot for more than a couple of days I tend to move on and look for a cooler location. If I camped often in areas where the temps hit the 100's I might feel the ac was worth bringing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Hi Mike! I'm in Eau Claire, a couple hours south of Superior. I frequently get up to the Bayfield area and I often camp in the Chequamegon forests. They're wonderful in the summer!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Hi Carol! Thanks for confirming what I was beginning to suspect: the fan should be enough. I'll try that for at least one season.

Rick
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #10

Florida
Rick, I know those area well. keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. By the way, I have a 5er. Its is 1995. done a few things to it but its an on going project.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #11

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. Are you going to have a egg shower. Just messing. Good luck with the new unit and proud egg parents to be.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Our 13 is due Dec 30th. Should be fun to go pick it up that time of year. We too opted out of AC. I have seen some nice portable installs in the closet with venting thru the floor. That way you leave it home most of the time. Most of our camping is in the Spring and Fall. Any Summer trips usually involve Lake Superior which often keeps the nights cool. Daytime we are outside.

Good luck with you new baby, john
Howdy, Rick! Welcome to FiberglassRV.com! Congrats on the new Scamp - just two more days (or one, since this day's half over).

And welcome back, John. I remembered your wooden toys...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
I picked up my new-to-me 13' Scamp yesterday in Backus, MN, on a gorgeous fall day - the first day of autumn! 13 hour round trip, including 2-1/2 at the dealer's. Had to make one minor correction to my 7-blade RV adapter, but that only took a couple of minutes. I'm really happy with the way the Scamp tows - almost unnoticeable behind my F150. Sorta like Doctor Who's policebox, it's bigger inside than I expected. We'll take a shakedown cruise to a county park this weekend - after I read all the manuals. I'm grinnin'!

hobofoto
2012 Scamp 13'
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #14

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Congrats Rick! And Happy Camping!
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Registry
Held the shakedown cruise last Fri/Sat/Sun at a very uncrowded county park about 30 miles from home. 'Twas wonderful! Made a list of what we forgot (and, more importantly, what we failed to forget.) It rained buckets on Saturday afternoon, and we discovered that two people & two 60# dogs can survive comfortably in a 13' Scamp during a downpour. I didn't set up the EZ-Up 'cause it was windy and I didn't have any weights for the canopy. They went on the "what we forgot" list. So did more bourbon. Gotta practice backing up, but I found that a few loud F-bombs (in a nearly deserted campground) more than compensate for skill.

…hobofoto
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
my eyes are leaking. Great first campground report. One some of us can really relate to.... hahahahaha. F-bombs indeed.

So, did you also forget the camera?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
photos on the way -

God, what a beautiful mornin'! -- took my breath away!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Glad you're enjoying the camping experience! (at least I think you're enjoying it?) Keep on camping and pretty soon you'll have the perfect list of not too much and nuthin forgotten.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks Pam & Donna - truly enjoying the Scamp! Evenings by the campfire and foggy autumn mornings are wonderful!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #20

Florida
Rick, glad you enjoyed your outing. Somehow I knew you would. Hearing about the evenings and such makes me want to get back there.(Not really, I like Florida to much) Keep enjoying your rig. I know I do.

Mike.

Tags
scamp