Hi Y'all!Just went to the Tampa RV show and Im excited! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 AM   #1

Name: colleen
Trailer: currently researching
Florida
Hi Y'all!Just went to the Tampa RV show and Im excited!

I'll get to the formalities...Im Colleen S. living in central Fl.
Currently researching trailers and have it narrowed down to 3..maybe 4, possibly 5!
I have hauled trailers around for years, camped for years, but never hauled a trailer to camp in, so this is a bit new to me. (Horse trailers Im darn near perfect at, actually a camper, not so much!)
Decided to head off to the Tampa RV show today..all I can say is WOW!.
Long story somewhat shorter.. Ive been looking at molded fiberglass, Airstream Basecamp(mostly dreaming) and giving a flirt to the TAB 400 line.
After today Im pretty sure I ruled out anything other than a molded fiberglass trailer. ...my requirements are bathroom, sleeps 3 adults( hubby,me, adult disabled son-all 6' tall), prefer enclosed components so nothing with 4 or more legs can enter without permission! Low maintenance, and fantastic build quality because Im previously a precision machinist so I notice the little flaws/faults instantly- it will drive me insane!LOL
Discovered the brand spanking new 2017 model 2.0 Parkliner and I think I;m in love! just need to see that LIL Snoozy in person and Ill make some hard choices between the two. Anybody want to chime in with additional options?
Thanks in advance!
Colleen
colleen s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Take a deep breath and continue your research.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:16 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Coleen, welcome to the FGRV forum. Note that the Lil Snoozy is an all electric trailer, so unless you always camp where there is electricity, or you carry your own in the form of a generator, it may not work out for you and your family. If you are always camping with electricity, then the large entrance door and optional ramp if needed for health issues, may work out fine. The couch/bed is under 6' long, so unless one can sleep slightly diagonally, or have a custom longer bed made by narrowing the full queen bed, or making the shower slightly smaller, the Lil Snoozy might not meet your family's needs. I had added propane & solar to our unit to better fit our style of camping, since we live in it for 5 months on end in various parts of the country, and can say, we are very pleased with the Lil Snoozy and have no desire for any other fiberglass unit on the market presently. I would probably have purchased a Park liner if we had grandchildren to come with us occasionally, since bunk beds would be my option of choice, but since it is just the two of us, the Lil Snoozy was a better fit.
Best of luck with your trailer shopping.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Colleen!

Two other options that deserve research are Escape and Oliver. Built in TN, Oliver arguably tops the molded fiberglass segment for quality. Escape is a nice mid-range option and is fairly light for its size, but hails all the way from BC, Canada. Their sales department should be able to set you up with a local owner for a demo (as will most of the other molded fiberglass manufacturers).

You may want to read up on Parkliner- it's an innovative design for sure, but the company has gone through several transitions and appears to be in the midst of another. A Google site search on "Parkliner" should turn up plenty of old threads ("Search" menu in blue task bar under your log-in, scroll down to "Site Search/Google").

Best wishes finding the perfect trailer for your adventures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp Camp will be at Highland Hammock SP (Sebring Fl.) in a couple of weeks. That is a good chance to view various makes of fiberglass trailers. They have open trailer viewing one day at the meet. (6-10 Feb.)
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #6

Florida
In my excitement I failed to mention a few noted points about the new Parkliner..It is now a double hulled, double insulated, and "hairless"( no inside carpet or whatever that stuff is on most Scamp and Cassita trailers). The AC has been moved from previous position and it is now a standard roof AC as seen in traditional stick builds. The bathroom is large and has a ceramic toilet. The water tank has been re-positioned( I cant recall where it was, but now under the single bunk.) New bathroom door-its now a mirrored door. The Prototype model still has a few issues to be worked out as they didnt have a chance to correct the current molds before heading to shows. The sink and propane burners on the prototype are going to be changed( when is still in question) to a flush mount propane stove and separate flush mount sink. a new outside storage compartment that can be accessed from inside also. Bunk beds have been redesigned so will now slide out or back to the cubby on hardware similar to the style used for kitchen drawers and a leg for additional stability. Solar ready
They have partnered with Little Guy, but manufacture will stay in NC.
Custom orders were being taken at the show...no additional floor plans but minor things like outlet placement, add/subtract items.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
I will definitely look in to the Olliver and continue to watch the Parkliner as it irons out some issues. The Snoozy is still my favorite layout but unless I can have propane and solar, its not a good option. I will be boon-docking often, but not long.The Snoozy still has condensation issues that concern me which is why the double hull on the Parkliner was so interesting. Also the axles...Im hearing issues about those.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Colleen, our 2014 has a rubber torsion axle, and I don't know what kind of problems they may have had (we have 60,000 miles on ours), but the new ones use leaf springs.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #8

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Hi Colleen! If you are looking for something in the quality dept. Bigfoot makes some really nice trailers in 17', 21', and a 25' models. They are also Canadian built so don't know how many you will find in your area. Check out their website. Good luck!
Roy
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Florida
I might not have mentioned, I want something under 3000lbs, under 16 ft. Thanks for the input everyone!
Colleen
Old 01-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Unhappy

Oops! Scratch Bigfoot off your list!
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #11

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Come play if you wish

We have a 19 foot Scamp that you are welcome to come take a look at if you wish. We are in Fort Myers. She was a compromise.. We looked at lots of Rv's and I grew up with a stick built and an Airstream. We fell in love with fiberglass; I wanted tiny and hubby wanted a fifth so it all worked out fabulously! Enjoy the hunt. I even used a decision weighing app that we used to rate every one we saw!!
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #12

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Gonna get my Snoozy weighed today, dry weight is 2,500 supposedly. The advantages to me over Parkliner were- all electric- former assistant Scoutmaster BSA here and I have had it with propane, butane, and Coleman fuel mishaps! And the fact Snoozy had a dedicated bed - not a dinette conversion. And just by opening up the underbed storage and transferring some of the stuff to our tow vehicle once parked, we had a good place to put our 4 cats litter box and give them additional space (Parkliner bunks would've been for the catlitter box and the cats, not for small humans) We took the Honda 2.0 generator option from Snoozy at the build. I can lift it a little bit, we need a dedicated fueling funnel. I also installed a Truckfridge 12V refrigerator in lieu of the standard magic chef. We didn't have condensation issues the first night we camped, on the way home when the outside temp was in the 30s and we ran the cube heater all night. I am still going to have to have a Fantastic Fan installed in the shower prior to our Canada tripthis June, and I believe that will take care of any upcoming condensation issues.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #13

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The Snoozy will be out then. It is a little over 18" The extra length is mighty handy!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Without thermal paned windows, Parkliner will continue to have condensation issues, regardless of the double hull.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Without thermal paned windows, Parkliner will continue to have condensation issues, regardless of the double hull.
That's true, though I could see thermal windows on the option list at some point.

But I'm wondering- does the original Parkliner have unusual condensation issues, beyond what is normal for a single hull design with single pane windows?

I'd say you could solve any condensation issues by coming to Arizona... but lately it never seems to stop raining and snowing and sleeting...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #16
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
[QUOTE=But I'm wondering- does the original Parkliner have unusual condensation issues, beyond what is normal for a single hull design with single pane windows?
[/QUOTE]

Jon,
We have had ours since spring of 2014. After putting well over 26,000 miles under it and more than a coupe of snowy weekends we have never had a problem. Of course I do slightly crack open a window a bit.
I would expect it is no better or worse than others of similar construction.
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3380.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Sid

Wisconsin
Crud, how did that happen and how do I fix it? Oh well you get the idea.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
here you go
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
Sid

Wisconsin
Thanks Jim
Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 AM   #20

Florida
Lil Snoozy is over 18 ft??...is that the inside or total length with tongue? I have towed my 3 horse trailer all over Florida and its certainly over 18' so I guess I cant complain, but was really trying for shorter to accommodate a new tug in the future( which I haven't purchased and still have to decide on a make & model) Currently using an 00 Expedition V10 gas, so I can pull just about anything! Trouble is.. It will pass anything except a gas station!
Lil Snoozy would require Propane additions and Theteford cassette( I think) plus additional storage cabinets where the "entertainment" section is. Ill do without the extra window there. worrying about the condensation issues is my biggest hold back.
Still looking at the Parkliner...not willing to invest in it yet until a few of the molds have been changed to reflect the issues noted at RV show( minor and most people wouldn't notice them but they drive me crazy so I will wait). Tom assured me these were in the works, but its a process and will take time.