hold me back, or push me ;) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #15

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
I actually towed a 13' Patriot with a Subaru Forrester back in the day. While it's a great little car it wasn't a great tow vehicle for all the reasons listed above. Tongue weight was a big issue...I never could get below or near the 200 lb limit. Acceleration and braking were not good either. I also got some grief from the dealer regarding some problems with the vehicle. They were leaning toward denying warranty claims since I'd been towing. My solution was to trade for a Nissan Frontier. I was surprised that moving up to the v6 actually improved my towing mileage, it felt a lot safer and made it a lot easier to move up to a 16'er. I'm not suggesting that you "should" follow my lead to a Frontier, but I do think you should consider a more capable tug and there are many out there.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Florida
My suggestion to rent was more general. Even a class C, small motorhome would allow the to experience the RV lifestyle. It would expose them to the "hassle" of an RV and smaller living quarters while having a fun vacation. Combined with the u- haul suggestion, they could gain experience before jumping in. The rally is a great idea. All of the suggestions are less expensive ways to be better prepared.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
hold me back, or push me ;)

That makes sense, Steve. I misunderstood. Renting a Class C (van-chassis motorhome) would solve the problem of not having a tow vehicle, and, though it wouldn't be cheap, it would be better than plunking down money for a trailer and vehicle, only to find out RVing just doesn't suit.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You could rent an Airstream trailer, complete with tow vehicle from here ... or for the amount it costs for a one week rental, you could almost buy a used Fiberglasser!

Rates | Airstream2GO
brian m. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Good day Christyn. Mazda's are great cars. I had an 89 626 4 door sedan, 5 speed manual. One of the best cars I had ever owned. Is yours a 4 or V6?

When set appropriately they make great TV's but finding someone on this side of the pond that knows how to set them up can be difficult.

http://www.mazda.co.uk/aboutmazda/ne...st-car-awards/

PS... We tow with a car that is similar in size and weight. Works great.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Try to find a quality RV dealership for guidance. Back in 1985 my wife and I got lucky and we're looking into a Travel Trailer and camping. Our first stop was a father and son dealership. The father gave us some great advise...showed us all possible options...pop ups, hard sided TTs, even small motor homes. We both liked the hard sided Travel Trailers with all the whistles and bells...bathroom and proper kitchen was a must!

Next came the ins and outs of towing (a lot to learn there!)
We bought a Sunline TT that day....traded it in a year later for something bigger at 24 ft. (Also a Sunline) bigger and better layout for our growing family.
Did more homework and upgraded our tow vehicle to handle the new unit.
Knew by then weight distribution, sway control and a trans cooler were minimum equipment. Camped all over the United States for the next several years in that trailer.

Slow down....select the TT that works for you...fiberglass or stick built...whatever has the layout that works...the right layout and you will be happy. Then go buy the best tow vehicle for the weight you must tow.
Read consumer reports buying guide for vehicles. After you read it go buy a Toyota with a V6/269HP engine...Highlander, RAV 4, Tacoma pick-up, Four Runner, Used FJ Cruiser. Keep in mind a V8 would be great but the gas mileage will be poor when towing (under 10 MPG).... A V6 would do better at about 12-15MPG. What ever you use make sure to add a quality trans cooler.

The idea of renting to see if you will like the lifestyle sounds good but what can you tow it with? You could rent a small class C motorhome as a test. That would give you some idea of camping in a RV.

The type of camping is also an issue. My wife and I like lakefront state parks and what some call boondocking. We do not like RV Parks...packed in like pickles in a jar...no privacy. Do your homework on possible campgrounds. Start with one that fits your lifestyle. Ask a lot of questions. Beware the start up cost can be high...save by buying used if you can get some help from a veteran RV camper.

Happy Camping.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
RAV4 after 2012 is only available with a four cylinder and not really suitable for towing.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Glenn, You are correct. I have not sold Toyotas since 2007. I did know a couple that did tow a R-POD Travel Trailer with a V6 RAV 4 and were very pleased with the combination.

The V6 was discontinued by Toyota in the RAV 4 because most buyers wanted the 4 cylinder model. The V6 had a bit too much power for the RAV 4 for most buyers (and it cost more!).

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #23

Name: Christyn
Trailer: About to take the plunge...
Illinois
Oh my goodness, I am drinking in all the advice on this thread, thank you! Ok, clearly our TV has to be reassessed (I believe ours is rated NO TOWING AT ALL...sigh), it is a 4 cylinder I am almost positive. This is not a huge loss as we were thinking of trading it in for an SUV anyway for safety, however the cost of that is definitely something that may push us back a bit. Though I completely agree it's way better to take it slow and make sure we're making good decisions. Funny, just today someone recommended to me a Highlander for towing! Guess I'll see if there are any used available around here.

Uplander, I want to ask you about that, while I think we would use the trailer for everything from normal RV parks/camping parks to parking on the street and staying in when we visit the in-laws...I think our preferred type of camping would be the "boondocking"...just off on your own away from a lot of people and deeper in nature. Your own "parking spot" doesn't appeal to me nearly as much. Is a scamp13 a good choice for this type? It seems a smaller trailer would be better for the slightly less beaten path, and also having a toilet...but am I wrong? I've just tent camped away from folks, never in a trailer, I'm not even sure all the rules associated with that?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

The V6 was discontinued by Toyota in the RAV 4 because most buyers wanted the 4 cylinder model. The V6 had a bit too much power for the RAV 4 for most buyers (and it cost more!).Thanks for the update.
Thinking the V6 Rav4 could be a lot of fun to own but with the big power might be a hand full in the winter.
A few years back we made a 40 minute highway drive on an icy drive. In that time frame we saw about a half dozen vehicles wiped out on the side of the highway. 3 of them were all wheel drive Suzuki Side Kicks. Note I believe the short wheel base had more to making them unstable that day, and they had a low HP 4cyl engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
Funny, just today someone recommended to me a Highlander for towing! Guess I'll see if there are any used available around here.
You won't be disappointed with a Highlander. A very reliable vehicle.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: "Try to find a quality RV dealership for guidance."

Ya... but so far only BigFoot has any dealerships and they are few and far between. Most dealers today would rather talk you into buying a new SuperUltraLite Schmomobile trailer that only weighs 3,999 lbs (Under 2 tons in the ad) dry, with a 15 year contract to pay for it, and will throw in a "secret" 20% preferred customer discount. Note: The standard non-secret discount is usually 25% off MSRP.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #26

Name: Christyn
Trailer: About to take the plunge...
Illinois
I have looked around our area, there are some RV type dealers, not trailers but the big RV types...I have no idea if they would rent one out. The thought of driving something that big is pretty intimidating. I have no concerns about living small (our house is quite small and I'm a minimalist person for sure!) other than the physical ability to have it sleep enough people, but the "hassle" mentioned does concern me since I just don't know how much of a hassle it is. I have no doubt my hubby would be up for it but I don't want him spending a lot of vacation time tending to the plumbing . Though I don't fully understand it I've read of levelers and stabilizers and all manner of hookups, is there a LOT of time spent on getting a trailer ready? I definitely want something simple and easy to move (hence thinking smaller=better) but if it's the exact same work no matter what I guess that's something to think on!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Another limiting factor is that once you're trailer is over 21 ft long, many state parks limit your access to their larger sites that are huge for the sunblockers. Cuts down on your options.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If economizing, buying a used vehicle with a domestic brand name can be the lowest cost way to go. A used Ford Escape V6 (of the older, squarish body style) will tow a Scamp 16 or Casita 16 or similar, and it can be found with AWD at decent prices. That's just an example. I do like Toyotas, but the preowned prices are higher so you end up with higher mileage or older model for the same dollars.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote