hold me back, or push me ;) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #29
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
[QUOTE=Christyn Midwestyn;539655 Though I don't fully understand it I've read of levelers and stabilizers and all manner of hookups, is there a LOT of time spent on getting a trailer ready? I definitely want something simple and easy to move (hence thinking smaller=better) but if it's the exact same work no matter what I guess that's something to think on![/QUOTE]

If you can locate a good RV sales, service shop in your area they can advise of the possible selections of trailers as well as take care of the technical aspects of connecting it properly . There is only so much you can learn on a forum.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #30

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Christen, The Highlander with a V6 would be an excellent and dependable tow vehicle.
When it comes to boondock camping the smaller trailers make it easier.
State parks, COE Campgrounds, National Park Campgrounds and some state forests are excellent spots to camp. A little Internet research on sites like :
irv2.com. Or. rv.net. Have a lot of info...there are others.
Google boondocking and see what you get. The supply is without limit.

Best of luck and Happy Camping!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would say that most of the V6 small SUV's would get you into the 3000 to 3500 lbs. towing capacity. Ford Escape and similar. So that gets you to most of the 15 - 17 ft. FGRV's.

Often the V6 engines (or even v8) while not better than the 4 Cyl engines on fuel economy in general do better at towing fuel economy. We only lose about 2 mpg towing a 13 ft scamp with a V6 Escape. Smaller engine might be able to tow but may be working pretty hard the whole time. Sons Chevy PU truck the loss in fuel economy is non-existent (but then trailer entails lower speed and that may help fuel economy)

Nothing wrong with wanting your own bathroom, been some long threads and about 1/2 the folks are of the same opinion. Of course the other half consider it a waste of space. Which was my main point. You need the extra space of a bigger trailer to get that bathroom. That means you need the extra tow capacity for the larger trailer.

No need to go overboard on the tow vehicle size but it will be more stressful on you driving a barely capable vehicle and more wear and tear on the vehicle too so get something that does not have you hanging onto the steering wheels with white knuckles or paying for repairs due to pushing things like the brakes or suspension to their limits with your tow.

Oh and trailer brakes are a wonderful thing. Much more comfortable to tow and takes the extra load off of the tow vehicle.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
What you can learn on forums are what questions to ask and what knowledge you need to gain top make a viable decision.

Another thing you can learn is that one national RV dealership sets the standard both for high parts and accessory prices, as well as for service, and seems to take the booby prize for customer service, especially if you aren't driving a $100k motorhome and/or dare to question service costs. I won't mention names,. but their initials are CW.

There, you learned something else today......
Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #33

New York
The subject of a proper bathroom facility with flush toilet and shower always seems to bring forth some very interesting comments such as "need the space for something else"....what is more important?...proper sanitation or a larger dinette? The idea of wandering around a campground in the middle of the night, flashlight in hand, looking for a public bathroom is a real turn-off. Having your own facilities and the ability to take a nice hot shower in the privacy of your own space seems like the civilized thing to do. This subject of "space inside the trailer" is easy to solve...buy the right size trailer with a proper layout for your needs. Life is too short to sacrifice the basic necessities in life even if you are on the road.

Comments about RV dealers all being sun-standard and lacking in the ability and/or desire to service their customers is not fair to the hundreds of dealers who do the right thing by their customers. The closest dealership to my home is in Fair Haven, Vermont....it is a family owned business...has been in business for a long time and is always willing to service any RV even if they did not sell it to you. They are there for the long haul and respect their customers.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #34
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
This subject of "space inside the trailer" is easy to solve...buy the right size trailer with a proper layout for your needs. Life is too short to sacrifice the basic necessities in life even if you are on the road.

Comments about RV dealers all being sun-standard and lacking in the ability and/or desire to service their customers is not fair to the hundreds of dealers who do the right thing by their customers.
I agree. Having bathroom facilities on board is so nice. When folks get the appropriate set up with a capable TV an extra 2' or so makes very little difference in the rigs performance. In some cases a slightly longer or heavier trailer will actually to nicer.

There are many great RV dealers out there. In many cases folks can do online reviews or get references from other patrons of that particular shop.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #35

New York
Another point that is often overlooked is that in most situations longer trailers are easier to control when backing into a camp site....short trailers tend to over-react when backing.....however....many campgrounds restrict the size of trailers.
Nothing is simple...there are always trade offs!

Happy Camping!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #36

California
Sorry, short trailers don't "Over React" when being backed, but TV drivers with short trailers tend to over react. As soon as they learn that small moves and counter moves are the secret, small trailers are easy-peasy to back up. My driveway is uphill and about 200 feet long and I spot my 13' Hunter and an 8' Pop-up wherever I want them every time, sometimes I do need as many as 2 moves. LOL

Free backing lessons are available at my place, beverage donations are appreciated!!!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
"I would suggest you try renting first."

This is a fabulous idea, my hubby has been looking into renting today to get the feel of it...sadly it would seem we are in a real dry area as we couldn't find any Scamps anywhere remotely close by, just a super expensive, huge airstream that obviously wouldn't work. Perhaps we are looking in the wrong places, something may yet show up...
Try Craigslist, Minnesota has some rental listing for scamp campers often, your area mayalso
Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #38
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
My driveway is uphill and about 200 feet long and I spot my 13' Hunter and an 8' Pop-up wherever I want them every time, sometimes I do need as many as 2 moves. LOL
Just took a quick poll Bob, and with a little more practice we think you'll get it down to 1st try, every time.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #39

California
It's a narrow driveway and sometimes I have to turn it around as well, that takes 3 moves....
Old 08-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #40

Name: Christyn
Trailer: About to take the plunge...
Illinois
So interesting the impressions on ease of towing! This is actually really a huge reason I wanted the 13'...my dad has a tiny butterfly sailboat and just backing that up is disastrous sometimes! I would really be interested people's general impressions of the ease of use pulling/parking/maneuvering in general. If they really are almost the same that would help in the decision making.

Spent so many hours (as many as one can with a baby!) looking at trailers today and trying to learn, I looked into at length the stick "canned ham" sorts, I like the look of them and REALLY like the wood interior but they seem much more fragile (leaks, soft floors etc.) than the fiberglass, is this a correct impression? I am not familiar enough with both to know the pros/cons but I'm definitely leaning toward fiberglass right now...I do NOT want to spend a bunch of money and have a money pit of maintenance and problems, just something simple and reliable...
Old 08-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #41

California
Backing a trailer is like playing a violin, anyone can try it and make a lot of noise and no music, but once they learn the right way it's actually hard to do it wrong.

I tell peeps to go out into the middle of a big parking lot and discover how to back up in a straight line, after that it's fairly easy.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #42

Name: Christyn
Trailer: About to take the plunge...
Illinois
Also, talked to two RV dealers on the phone today, one was helpful and informative and the other was wretchedly rude and miserable...unfortunately I don't think either of them have the size I'm looking for. They are talking huge, heavy things!