How I wound up here. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Definitely looking!
Maryland
How I wound up here.

Let's see... After years of not going camping at all because my popup rusted out from under me, I went back to a tent. But, unlike any tent set up I've ever seen, I figured a way to make a collapsible floor to keep me off the ground. That was all well and good until last month when my camping buddies got back together after a 15-year break. Someone showed up with a new popup and suddenly it dawned on me that it was time to get back into roughing smoothly. But without the cranking, the setting of the canvas, the lack of amenities and still having to worry about whether or not a bad storm was going to wreak havoc with the cloth walls.

So... I hovered over craigslist for about a month and thought I'd found the perfect camper - a 19-foot Fleetwood Wilderness. In what has to be the stupidest move I've made to date (marriage excluded), I didn't have it inspected before I bought it and wound up buying something I'm not sure I can do anything with but give it away. It has leaks. I think the leaks even have baby leaks.

Anyway, determined not to repeat that bit of idiocy, further research convinced me that fiberglass was the way to go. Less prone to leak and lighter tow weight? I'll take those! But, from what I can tell, there don't seem to be too many glass boxes 'round these parts. Tons out west and down south and even a few way up north. And that's part of the reason I signed up here. Even if I can't find any time soon with the classifieds, I figure I'll be armed with more and more information as time goes on, making me better prepared come the day one is finally within my reach. Hopefully that won't be too long from now - that tent is looking rather small.
Attached Thumbnails
Camping Set up.jpg  
David in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi David, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here

Yes, definitely knowledge is power! Armed with all the good information found within FiberglassRV pages and the assistance given by members, I have no doubt you'll find the egg of your desires.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You just missed out on some Navy surplus Casita's that were auctioned in Maryland. Not sure what they went for in Maryland but the California ones went for between $2500 and $3000. They did need quite a bit of work but hey sweat equity is good.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, david! your camping set-up looks very comfortable...but you'll be so much more comfortable in a glass trailer!
we, too, used to own a tent trailer (pop-up) and the best decision we've made in regards to camping was to ditch it and look for a fgrv. we've not once regretted that decision.
good luck with your search. it'll happen.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Dave,
Welcome to the forum. Search Craigslist but be careful of scams. Here is one that looks ok. May be it isn't too far. I assume you are after small.
Fiberglass Travel Trailer - Burro 13' - Like Scamp - 1200lbs
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #6

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Welcome, David!
There are lots of fiberglass trailers out there so you will find yours. They are often hiding.

I would suggest that you become familiar with the various FGs and decide on almost exactly what you want before you get a tow vehicle, if you don't have the vehicle already.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Definitely looking!
Maryland
Thank you all for the welcome and well wishes.

Donna - I can already see there's a wealth of information here. I spent a good part of last night link hopping the site.

Steve- No fair telling me what I missed!

theresa - It's surprisingly comfortable. But it doesn't have room for a bathroom and a furnace. Also, trying to stand up inside does have it's consequences.

Gene - It's funny you posted that link. I'd seen that ad and actually spent quite a bit of time debating whether or not to call the guy. But I'm really looking for something in the 16-17 foot range. Full bathroom and elbow room a must!

Cathy - I have no doubt one will show up. The tow vehicle has already been taken care of - been driving Dodge Dakota pickups for over 20 years!
David in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We, like many, found that used fiberglass RVs are few and far between and ultimately decided to purchase new. While we realize not everyone wants to purchase their fiberglass RV new it does have its advantages. We drove 2,000 miles to Backus, MN to pick up our new Scamp.

It may be worthwhile for you to travel some distance to pick up a good used one. Perhaps you can have "scouts" (friends, relatives, FGRV friends) to look out for your "new" used trailer and pre-screen it before you head out to get it. Another idea; on the backroads we have often seen trailers stored on the "South 40" or in the driveway. You might want to just approach the owners and see if their trailer is for sale. This is what the men on"American Pickers" (TV show) do.

Good luck in your search and Happy Camping!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
After camping in every fashion possible, and in RV's including tent and stick trailers, I decided to go the moulded fiberglass route too, with many of the same reasons as you.

This place was invaluable for researching, and drawing on the experience of the members here. It still is after 4 seasons of camping in our Escape 19.

I had been all keen on modding an older trailer, but my wife gave me a slap upside the head saying that would not be happening until all the home renos, and various other projects I was doing, were complete.

There are lots of great makes of moulded fiberglass trailers, I am sure you will find one that suits your needs. Your plan to do lots of researching is a good one, and this forum is the best resource, hands down. There are also the various forums specific to individual manufacturers that are great too, as you can see what folks like, or not, about their trailers.

Happy trailer hunting!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote