How old is too old to camp. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
Exclamation How old is too old to camp.

Hi,
I'm 81 years old, camped most of my life in tent trailers, pop-ups, motor homes etc.
Gave it up when wife passed 3 years ago.
Have my eye on an 1983 Trillium 4500. Decent shape. I love to tinker, familiar with all the issues that can go wrong, I think.
Any thoughts, never camped alone.
Live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Love the look of the Trillium.
Dick0736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I say, get out there and do what you love to do. You'll undoubtedly make new friends. You can never predict what a trip will be like from home. The fresh air and exercise will be a very good.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I think more is determined by the way you feel, and the way you drive. I know a number of people who are in their 90's and still out and doing the things they wanted to do. We have a member at church who was still doing all kinds of things at 95. Go for it!
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You'll never again be as young as you are right now. GO! No one says you have to go far to have fun. Make new friends along the way, keep those memories happening. Always let close friends and family know where you're going... that's smart no matter what the age.

Come back here and brag about the grand time you're having
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You'll never again be as young as you are right now. GO! No one says you have to go far to have fun. Make new friends along the way, keep those memories happening. Always let close friends and family know where you're going... that's smart no matter what the age.

Come back here and brag about the grand time you're having
This is the perfect answer. Nice post Donna.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick0736 View Post
Hi,
I'm 81 years old, camped most of my life in tent trailers, pop-ups, motor homes etc.
Have my eye on an 1983 Trillium 4500. Decent shape. I love to tinker, familiar with all the issues that can go wrong, I think.
As long as you like and feel like it. I would NOT ever want put an age on camping. I'm 75 and figure I've got around 20+ years of camping left.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
How old is too old?

When I stop getting older, I'll stop camping.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Too old to camp. Never. Too old to drive is a question we will all have to face.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Some great answers. Driving not an issue so far and have a good tow vehicle.
I guess there is no reason not to buy and get at it.
Thanks all, for your support.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How old is too old to camp.

My mother still travels in a Class B at 91. She and Dad had planned to travel a lot when they retired, but an illness took him unexpectedly before he even got to retirement. Mom had to choose between letting go of her plans or adapting. She adapted.

That was 32 years ago and she's still rolling. She's had several traveling companions over the years, but she doesn't let the lack of one stop her. She is slowing down as she ages- fewer trips, closer to home, and less driving each day.

I think traveling is one factor in her longevity.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Great story, good for her, I feel younger now.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Get it if it is in good shape! I love our Trillium 4500. If you love to tinker, and watch your costs, and fix it up (the mechanicals ) You should be able to break even or make a little money on it if you change your mind.

If you want company you can try going to some of the Fiberglass rallys and see if you like them. The Bolerama in ON was in July, but the Nigara Wine Escape in ON is in September, and the Algonac Glassic Egg Scramble in MI is also in September.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
They have plenty of extra quiet campgrounds where we can all share a dirt nap after we are done with our fiberglass trailers.
This should be the last camper needed, AND its Fiberglass no less...
also pictured is a fiberglass vault.

The last two images are fiberglass too for those who prefer creamation!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
I get it, the FG trillium is by far the better option.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick0736 View Post
Hi,
Seriously and I say this to anyone who has trouble or is unable to do setup or breaking camp...
Come to any fiberglass rally which I attend and I will help you or do your setup and break camp for you if at all possible. If not there will always be someone there to help in my absence.
Added bonus... You won't camp alone!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Dad is 82, Mom is 75, they still go out every summer with their '75 Travco motorhome (FG shell, BTW )
Dad's best friend is 83, he's a full-timer that owns a fairly recent diesel pusher Class A motorhome, he's been going down to Arizona (from Quebec) every winter for the last 15 years or so with his motorhome. 3 years ago his wife passed away, he decided he would go to Arizona for winter again, although he was now alone. He has friends down there, and he never stopped. Being by himself is different, but he still enjoys the lifestyle.
You should see Dad and his buddy, they look more like 68-70 year-old than 82-83, pretty impressive. Good shape, good drivers, very alert.

On a final note, me and my Dad went on a 3 day winter camping trip 2 years ago (Dad was 79 back then). 12km snowmobile ride, propector-style canvas tent with wood stove, sleeping bags, etc. That was his idea, and he enjoyed every minute of it.

So I say just do it!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
We can sit in a chair and wait for the inevitable, or we can get out there and do something worthwhile. Pick quality over quantity... who knows, you may get both.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I was talking to someone recently who suggested that over about 85 everyone should stop DRIVING because their reflexes get slower. I don't agree- but I do think keeping in mind that your reflexes may be slower should mean drive at the trailer/tow speed limit and also keep a longer following distance (which we all should anyone towing since we can't stop as fast). Also think about emergencies. At a rally a few years ago someone had a medical problem alone in her rig and used her car keys to set off her car alarm until help came. GREAT idea. Also cell phone if it works where you are, and carry any pertinent medical records. But those things have more to do with being alone camping than with the age of the person camping alone.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I was talking to someone recently who suggested that over about 85 everyone should stop DRIVING because their reflexes get slower. I don't agree- but I do think keeping in mind that your reflexes may be slower should mean drive at the trailer/tow speed limit and also keep a longer following distance (which we all should anyone towing since we can't stop as fast). Also think about emergencies.
Good points, but I think it's like many other things in life. Know and accept your own limitations. After a lifetime of driving, it's very hard for some people to give it up. My Mom's husband was like that. She finally took over driving whenever they went on one of their frequent road trips because he was positively unsafe due to deteriorating vision and hearing. Every case is different. I've seen folks drive in their 90s who were perfectly capable of doing so, and others who needed to be off the road at 75.

But to the OP's question, if you are physically able to get out there and camp, by all means do so! Live life.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
We can sit in a chair and wait for the inevitable, or we can get out there and do something worthwhile. Pick quality over quantity... who knows, you may get both.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote