How YOU doin? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Joseph
Trailer: In the Market
New Jersey
How YOU doin?

Hey guys, I'm Joseph from New Jersey. I joined this site because I'm interested in living in a camper full time. My goal is to move to Pennsylvania, live in a camper, while staying stationary in a suburb. I would like to park it in someone's backyard or a private lot. Currently I like the Scamp as my favorite choice, with smaller names like A-liner as plan B. However I have a Toyota Camry, so I can't pull these trailers myself. Any advice for how I can make this plan work? Living full time in a camper, on someone else's property (I would pay) in the suburbs? And which is a good small camper that is easily mobile?
Irvingplace181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvingplace181 View Post
Hey guys, I'm Joseph from New Jersey. I joined this site because I'm interested in living in a camper full time. My goal is to move to Pennsylvania, live in a camper, while staying stationary in a suburb. I would like to park it in someone's backyard or a private lot. Currently I like the Scamp as my favorite choice, with smaller names like A-liner as plan B. However I have a Toyota Camry, so I can't pull these trailers myself. Any advice for how I can make this plan work? Living full time in a camper, on someone else's property (I would pay) in the suburbs? And which is a good small camper that is easily mobile?

• Many suburban zoning jurisdictions do not permit living in a camper.
  • Many properties have deed restrictions that make it impossible.
  • These campers are not made for winter use and very few people have managed to live in one in winter, esp in PA or points north.
  • Unless you use the kitchen and bath in your friends house, you will need to dump on a regular basis. Other sewer arrangements are likely illegal.
  • Living full time in such a small and restricted space usually turns out to be harder and less fun than people expect.
  • If you can’t tow it (and with a Camry thats pretty much a given for almost all campers that you might live in), then you have a problem when you need to move it.
  • There is liability involved for both you and the property owner and regular homeowners insurance will not work.

YMMV but I would give up on that idea and get an apartment.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Name: Joseph
Trailer: In the Market
New Jersey
Thank you for the advice. That does make sense. However, in terms of getting an apartment, I can't really afford that (I work a lower-end part time job). So I'm looking for a way to live as cheaply as possible, in suburbs. Any alternative advice?
Irvingplace181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
This reminds me of my neighbor who decided he wanted to live in his plastic garden shed after his mobile home collapsed.
This subject has been discussed in several past threads with out reaching a consensus or a reasonable conclusion.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
There are a lot of Urban Van Dweller YouTubers. It seems the van blends in a bit easier.
On YouTube check out Justin Credible. He has generated many videos on Urban Van Dwelling.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
You might have better luck renting a basement room, or extra room in a house. You would need to be very considerate of the people who own the house, but I have seen that work in the Chicago area. Sometimes families will trade out work (mow, snow shovel, shop, watch kids...) for part of the rent.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for the advice. That does make sense. However, in terms of getting an apartment, I can't really afford that (I work a lower-end part time job). So I'm looking for a way to live as cheaply as possible, in suburbs. Any alternative advice?
You should contact the Salvation Army, and perhaps they could help you get in contact with other agencies that could get you some help with everyday living and job training.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Advertise (Craigslist maybe?), say you're looking for roommates to share an apartment or house. You may get an existing group who wants one more, or you may form a new group. A written agreement should be carefully written and signed by all so that no one can walk out and leave the rest of the group 'holding the bag' financially. This will get you a much more comfy living arrangement than a travel trailer in PA.

"Not made for winters" in an understatement when it comes to most trailers. No heated holding tanks means frozen tanks and lines. No insulation to speak of, so heating the trailer would be expensive, difficult, and uncomfortable. Small tanks mean that even in good weather you'd need water and sewer hookups wherever you parked it, and electric hookup as well since the trailer's battery is only good for a day or two.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Many cities have low cost rental units where the price is based on your ability to pay. A friend of our daughters has a one bedroom efficiency apartment in a converted warehouse and her rent is about $400 /month which includes all utilities and one parking space. It's not fancy but it's warm and comfortable plus it has indoor plumbing that works year round. Just a thought !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+100 Renting a room in a house is the cheapest option.

Realize PA has winters, and a Scamp is not a four season trailer. Four season molded fiberglass trailers are at the top price wise. The economics on a limited budget become very questionable.

+10 Trade work for a discount on rent. Mow the grass, shovel the snow, rake the leaves, whatever. You could really get the rent down. Do painting, lots of things you can do to lower rent. I have a friend living rent free right now (how cool is that). Does maintenance around the property, provides basic services for the elderly owner (shops for food, driver, whatever).

Once you start doing this service type work, you will find there is a GOOD market out there for stable, reliable, honest, service providers. Mowing lawns for example, you can make good money doing it. Could easily make enough to cover your rent.

Another option is the dreaded part time job. Here in the Asheville, NC area, there aren't many decent jobs. Yet people want to live here. So a lot of them are scrambling, working two or three part time jobs, living with roommates, and so on. The creativity they use to maintain a decent lifestyle is amazing. And a lot of them don't own a car either: insurance, license plate fees, parking, and so on, all add up. Some have a bicycle (pick one up used at a bike co-op or a thrift store) and rely on public transportation. We have winter here too, not PA winter, but we do get it.

Look at every expense you have right now: telephone, internet service, and many more. Some people ditch the internet service and use free wifi at McDonalds, or the local library. Not ideal for sure, but its a way to reduce your cost of living. My focus financially is to maintain my standard of living while REDUCING my cost of living. Every expense gets scrutinized! And of course, debt free is a must.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #11

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
van dwellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
There are a lot of Urban Van Dweller YouTubers. It seems the van blends in a bit easier.
On YouTube check out Justin Credible. He has generated many videos on Urban Van Dwelling.
Also check out adventurevanman for lots of good advice on van builds, insulation, heaters and how to live off grid. People use gym membership for showers and bathrooms. There is a lot of info on stealth camping on streets in a van.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #12

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
If you are young, join the military. You will get housed, trained, and get free college when you get out. You can also apparently park an RV on many military bases (there is lady on YT called RVdreams504 that does that).
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
You said you will be working a low wage part time job. How about holding down 2 part jobs, as others have just suggested.

That might get you enough money to park a small trailer in an RV campground. I have seen many long term "campers" in RV parks because many parks are willing to greatly reduce their rent if you are willing to stay there for a long period of time. Usually such rent includes all utilities, including internet and sometimes cable. You could use the parks bathroom and shower facilities rather than the trailer's, so your trailer could be winterized, yet provide you with a warm place to live: Since electricity is typically included, you can use as much as needed to keep warm. You may even find a part time job at such a park.

You could rent a truck for a day to pull the trailer to the site.

You don't really need a molded fiberglass trailer for this living situation. I read somewhere that a used FEMA trailer can be purchased for very little. It really just needs to be leak proof. Don't tell the proprietor, but use an electric space heater, and electric hot plate, rather than propane. You would have to buy your own propane.

I have been over this with my two sons, (both single). One works in downtown San Jose, CA, the other in downtown Los Angeles, CA. The only living situation they have come up with is to rent a room in a house with other, non related, people. They do not like my RV park concept, which I firmly believe would be cheaper than the $1,200/mo each pays in rent: They have almost nothing left over to live on.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #14

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
You said you will be working a low wage part time job. How about holding down 2 part jobs, as others have just suggested.

That might get you enough money to park a small trailer in an RV campground. I have seen many long term "campers" in RV parks because many parks are willing to greatly reduce their rent if you are willing to stay there for a long period of time. Usually such rent includes all utilities, including internet and sometimes cable. You could use the parks bathroom and shower facilities rather than the trailers, so your trailer could be winterized, yet provide you with a warm place to live: Since electricity is typically included, you can use as much as needed to keep warm. You may even find a part time job at such a park.

You could rent a truck for a day to pull the trailer to the site.

You don't really need a molded fiberglass trailer for this living situation. I read somewhere that a used FEMA trailer can be purchased for very little. It really just needs to be leak proof. Don't tell the proprietor, but use an electric space heater rather than propane.

I have been over this with my two sons, (both single). One works in downtown San Jose, CA, the other in downtown Los Angeles, CA. The only living situation they have come up with is to rent a room in a house with other, non related, people. They do not like my RV park concept, which I firmly believe would be cheaper than the $1,200/mo each pays in rent: They have almost nothing left over to live on.
I was paying $1300 in monthly rent for an apt, when I saw an RV park was $700. Saving $7200 a year is worth it. I bought a brand new RV and it paid for itself in 3 years, plus Casitas have a very high resale value if I ever want to sell it. Saving money immediately, and getting back most of your purchase price, made it an easy decision for me.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
..So I'm looking for a way to live as cheaply as possible, in suburbs. Any alternative advice?
A livable Scamp is going to run $5,000 to $10,000 or so. Thats a lot of rent money. My first place when I left home (for the first of many attempts by the way), was a rented room not much larger than a medium sized walk in closet, on one floor of a three story home in a college town, with each floor having 3-5 renters. Not so bad since all I did was work and sleep, but I was a little concerned about the one guy on the floor who was moving ever increasing amounts of pot.. it was a bigger deal then.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #16

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
living full time in a scamp

If you are dead set on full timing in a scamp, You might consider moving to a climate with warm to mild winters. And taking work camping jobs that usually require 20 hours of work in the campground in exchange for full hook up sites. Use their showers, and laundry. Some even offer a salary for hours worked over the 20. That gives you plenty of time to take other jobs in town near by to the camp ground. There are plenty of work camping web sites. I own a small farm and house in East Tennessee. I garden and trout fish all summer. I usually travel and work camp all winter. I am now in Florida on the Gulf coast until April 1st. I was South of Tucson Arizona from Oct. 15th to Dec 30th. I love it and meet great and wonderful people. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
If you are dead set on full timing in a scamp, You might consider moving to a climate with warm to mild winters. And taking work camping jobs ..
Not a bad idea at all if you are willing to relocate (maybe a number of times a year). I gather that you are set on PA but if the above interests you see:
https://www.theoutbound.com/yeager-s...ampground-host

I had considered being a host but cleaning other people's bathrooms is something I did enough of when I was younger.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I could almost see living in a small trailer in the Pacific Northwest. It rarely gets below 0° C, (32° F) in Vancouver, Seattle.... Still need a better way of dealing with waste products.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote