howdy from northern Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16'
Michigan
howdy from northern Michigan

hello all. been lurking on this forum for a month or so i figured it was time to register.
the wife & i moved to the sticks of northern Mi. from the burbs of SE Mi. a couple years ago.
the wife had been on the lookout for a fiberglass RV for a few years when 1 morning i ran across an ad for a Scamp 16' priced at $1500. we couldnt believe the price and figured there was some thing(s) wrong with it. im a carpenter, so fixing things like campers doesnt discourage me.
anywho, after a few emails, pictures, and phone conversations, i was on the 120 to look at the camper. seller stated that he would go no lower than $1000....which really had us excited.
it was disclosed from the start that the bathroom window leaked(which damaged the "paneling" in the wet closet) and i could also see the roof vent cover was cracked. other than that nothing major was wrong. power was hooked up and every knob i turned or switch i flicked worked. i couldnt believe it !
as of now the window is fixed, damaged bathroom wall replaced with a sheet of FRP, new vent cover installed, and we purchased a bunch of new rivet washers & caps. all appliances work. new paint on bumper & tongue coming soon.
if we see any of ya'll out there on the trail, we'll be sure to share a fire, beer, & a shot of limoncello.
cityboy2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the trailer. Sounds like you got a great deal. We are in Western MI so it is especially nice to have more of us in the area. I have found almost everyone here to be especially helpful so feel free to ask questions if they come up. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Hi there from the Ann Arbor Area I am a wannabee egger and hope to see ya around
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very nice story .... Except without pics thats all it is ( ha ha)

We love pics/ mods on this site

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Mark!

Sounds like a real barn find you got there, and at a price that's going to make a lot of us envious!

Now that you're official here, the first thing is to post some pictures of your find.

Happy travels with your "new" Scamp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site Mark, it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Michigan
hope these will do for now.
i have the inside a bit messed up so those pics will come later. she will get a good wash n wax next week before i replace all the caps.
BTW this is a 1990

Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Welcome to the club1

Be sure to sign up for the "Scrambled Eggs" camping meet at Egg Harbor, WI next June. We are a great bunch to enjoy good food and fun music.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
WOW, I've been looking while waiting for some extra money to come in since this past June. Very envious of your find. Congratulations.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2977 View Post
hello all. been lurking on this forum for a month or so i figured it was time to register.
the wife & i moved to the sticks of northern Mi. from the burbs of SE Mi. a couple years ago.
the wife had been on the lookout for a fiberglass RV for a few years when 1 morning i ran across an ad for a Scamp 16' priced at $1500. we couldnt believe the price and figured there was some thing(s) wrong with it. im a carpenter, so fixing things like campers doesnt discourage me.
anywho, after a few emails, pictures, and phone conversations, i was on the 120 to look at the camper. seller stated that he would go no lower than $1000....which really had us excited.
it was disclosed from the start that the bathroom window leaked(which damaged the "paneling" in the wet closet) and i could also see the roof vent cover was cracked. other than that nothing major was wrong. power was hooked up and every knob i turned or switch i flicked worked. i couldnt believe it !
as of now the window is fixed, damaged bathroom wall replaced with a sheet of FRP, new vent cover installed, and we purchased a bunch of new rivet washers & caps. all appliances work. new paint on bumper & tongue coming soon.
if we see any of ya'll out there on the trail, we'll be sure to share a fire, beer, & a shot of limoncello.
Good job friend. I wish I had your skills. Being a carpenter comes in real handy for Scamp fix ups! Seems you found a gem under the obvious things you found. We have a cherry 2008 16 and have made many mods to it to make it ours. We hope to see you at a Scamp gathering some day!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #11

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2977 View Post
hope these will do for now.
i have the inside a bit messed up so those pics will come later. she will get a good wash n wax next week before i replace all the caps.
BTW this is a 1990

Needs a good wash and wax job. Use the Meguiars Premium Boat wax. Does wonders pal. Made my 2008 shine like new. Every application gets it whiter and whiter.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #12

Missouri
I also painted my poop tube with paint designed for plastic. Came out great!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #13

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Welcome! By sticks of Northern Michigan do you mean 906, 989, or 231?
I'm in 616 but spend a lot of time in the TC to Straits area. Sounds like you happened upon a great deal. I hope you continue to have good luck!
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #14

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Nice score.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boats19 View Post
Welcome! By sticks of Northern Michigan do you mean 906, 989, or 231?
I'm in 616 but spend a lot of time in the TC to Straits area. Sounds like you happened upon a great deal. I hope you continue to have good luck!
231...NE of Traverse City
Old 10-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Mark, I may have to turn you in to my (MI state policeman) brother-in-law, for stealing that Scamp! Wow, what an incredible price. If you want to make an immediate 100% return on your investment, let me know...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Good grief! Even the spare tire cover looks clean. Ya dun good!
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #18

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
Another Mi. "scamper" GREAT! we're in 989 area code. Welcome!
Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #19

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
Wink

You did WHAT with WHAT.....is that even legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyscamp View Post
I also painted my poop tube with paint designed for plastic. Came out great!
Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I assume he means the storage tube on the front of the trailer (which tends to yellow over time), not the actual stinky slinky hose itself.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote