"Howdy" from West Virginia - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #15

Name: Aaron
Trailer: '04 Fleetwood Westlake
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Aaron, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Choices, choices, choices... too many sometimes and that can be a PITA.

You've landed on an all molded towable forum and we're a bit prejudiced

If you want the scoop about A-liner and their issues, problems, etc. be sure to join a forum for that brand. You'll get an earful, good and bad.

ANY brand of all molded that has a bunk can be reinforced to hold more weight. I just question this statement "I asked him about the top bunk of Scamp's bunk beds and he advised they are rated for far more than 100 pounds." What does that mean? You wouldn't want to be the one on the bottom when the weight limit is exceeded and it falls! But, we're here to help you, so that doesn't happen.

Good luck in your decision!
Howdy, Donna. You are so right about Aliner. I really liked them initially, but the more I read and see the less wonderful I think they are. I had told my wife that if it were just she and me we would go with an Aliner. After my research, however, that thought is out the window. At this point I think I would take just about any trailer over an A frame. That's a shame, too, because they really are a fantastic concept.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #16

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's so sad that, after building the same thing for 40+ years that Scamp can't give you a better answer that "way over 100 lbs." But Scamps customer support/service has been a popular topic hereabouts recently.

That said, the front bunks are very skinny, but are the width of the trailer. I suspect that if your younger one is already at 100 lbs that they won't be long for those bunks.

I think you will find that the 13' MFRV's are best suited for couples with pre teens at the most. The good news is that there are a number of used ones out there and, in most cases, if you buy a used one and don't like it, they are easy to resell for about what you have in them.

If you need an abode for 2+2 that is as roomy as your pop-up, you might want to look at something at east 16-17' long. But, before doing that, what are you towing with???
Good grief. I'm sorry, Bob. I never did mention my tow vehicle. Currently we are using an 08 Honda Ridgeline. I think it would tow well enough for now. We tend to pack light, and never travel with fluids in the tanks.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #17

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A bit about the Scamp bunks. The sleeping length is the same as main bed. I doubt Scamp has ever run tests to determine the maximum weight the top bunk will handle. There is a very simple solution to the weight problem, put the lightest weight person on the top bunk. There are wider than they might appear. The top bunk has about 4" hidden by the bottom cushion when in the couch position. Hidden behind the couch back is another cushion that increases the width of the bottom bunk when everything is in the bunk bed position. The bottom bunk has about the same or higher weight limit as the main bed.
As the children age they'll appreciate their own space, therefore a tent or two for them to sleep will probably be in your future no matter what you choose. And it won't be too many years before they won't be going with you anyway. Which means think about how you expect the trailer to last, 5 years, 10 years or 40-50 years. Molded fiberglass trailer can have a life expectancy of 40 to 50 years at least. I doubt any folding trailer will last that long.
Choose well and camp lots.
Hola, Byron. The longevity of a maintained fiberglass rig is the primary reason we are so interested in them. We'd prefer to purchase something that will last us even after the wee ones are on their own.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #18

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I think that there are threads here where people have reinforced their bunkbeds and/or built their own. There is a Google search function that you can take advantage of.

Here is one here: Interiors Scroll down the page and you will see a set of bunks built by the owner.

Maybe you should take your wife to some rallies of each kind before you buy.

Welcome.

CindyL
I would love to do a rally or two, Cindy. I try to watch for postings about them, but it seems we always have something going on when there is a get together. Somewhat frustrating, but Lord willing patience will pay off.