"Howdy" from West Virginia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: '04 Fleetwood Westlake
West Virginia
"Howdy" from West Virginia

Good afternoon, all.

I am so very thankful that I found this forum.

DW and I are currently in a pop up and are wanting to move to a hard side trailer. I have researched until my eyes have crossed and my brain has throbbed. DW is enamored with the A frames. I was initially on board with her because with Aliner in particular most everything is an option. I like that. I like building my own and not having things I neither want nor need. After viewing and prowling around/in/through the Aliners, however, I can definitely say that with us, two wee ones aged 12 and 8, and two dogs (a beagle/rat terrier and one that all I can be sure of is that she isn't a monkey) it would be tantamount to RV Armageddon. Not because of the limited internal space, mind you. No, no. We are rarely in the camper other than to sleep. We do not cook, eat, or shower in our camper. The issue is sleeping space. I feel we need a bed large enough for DW and I and bunks for the kids. With that in mind I have attempted to persuade DW that we really need something other than an A frame, but she is adamant that an A frame will work. I do refuse to buy something oversized and overpriced so we agree on that much. I have looked at the Forest River r-pod and while it is adorable and would meet my needs it has an abundance of standard features that I and DW simply don't want. Back to researching. Yesterday I came across Casita and Scamp trailers. I was initially quite impressed with the Casita and have read what I can online. I called them today, however, and it appears the top bunk of the bunk bed is limited to under 100 pounds. The wee ones will be past that soon. So I sighed and went back to the drawing board. This time I looked hard at Scamps. It seems I can get bunks in the 13' and 16' models. I called Scamp and spoke with Wayne. Wonderful conversation, and he quickly e-mailed me the brochure and pricing for models and options. It looks like just about everything is an option on the Scamp. I am currently quite thrilled with that. I asked him about the top bunk of Scamp's bunk beds and he advised they are rated for far more than 100 pounds. He did say they are a bit short. Has anyone here used the bunk beds for their children? If so, how did the beds work? Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the bunk beds? Any information is greatly and sincerely appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance. Take care.
The West Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Aaron,
Glad you decided to join.......
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #3

West Virginia
Thank you for the welcome, Jim. I appreciate it. Hopefully, I will soon be an egg owner and truly fit in. ��
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Aaron.
Don't feel like you're alone in your search...............lol.
I'm sure you will find the "match" for your needs.

There are several brands to consider.
Scamp, Escape, Casita, Park Liner, Lil Snoozy, just to name a few.

The Lil Snoozy as is may not be a fit for you, but if you are handy,
you could order what is known as a Lil Hauly. Basically an empty shell.
You could build everything to suit your own needs. The way it is molded,
it can stand alone without any interior supports.

Good luck, glad you've joined us.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pass along to Hubby that Chalet is coming out with a slide model. Escape also offers front bunks on the 17 footer. Parkliner Offers side bunks but good luck getting in touch with them.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Aaron welcome. The bunks in our Scamp 5er are beside the main upper bed. They go the width of the trailer. I have laid on them and they seem fine. I weigh 185Lbs. I think they would be fine. I'm not sure about the tag along units; how the bunks are in them. With the 5er if you were using the bunks and someone needed to exit the upper bed in the middle of the night for a bathroom break, it might get interesting. LOL
Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Aaron, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Choices, choices, choices... too many sometimes and that can be a PITA.

You've landed on an all molded towable forum and we're a bit prejudiced

If you want the scoop about A-liner and their issues, problems, etc. be sure to join a forum for that brand. You'll get an earful, good and bad.

ANY brand of all molded that has a bunk can be reinforced to hold more weight. I just question this statement "I asked him about the top bunk of Scamp's bunk beds and he advised they are rated for far more than 100 pounds." What does that mean? You wouldn't want to be the one on the bottom when the weight limit is exceeded and it falls! But, we're here to help you, so that doesn't happen.

Good luck in your decision!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's so sad that, after building the same thing for 40+ years that Scamp can't give you a better answer that "way over 100 lbs." But Scamps customer support/service has been a popular topic hereabouts recently.

That said, the front bunks are very skinny, but are the width of the trailer. I suspect that if your younger one is already at 100 lbs that they won't be long for those bunks.

I think you will find that the 13' MFRV's are best suited for couples with pre teens at the most. The good news is that there are a number of used ones out there and, in most cases, if you buy a used one and don't like it, they are easy to resell for about what you have in them.

If you need an abode for 2+2 that is as roomy as your pop-up, you might want to look at something at east 16-17' long. But, before doing that, what are you towing with???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A bit about the Scamp bunks. The sleeping length is the same as main bed. I doubt Scamp has ever run tests to determine the maximum weight the top bunk will handle. There is a very simple solution to the weight problem, put the lightest weight person on the top bunk. There are wider than they might appear. The top bunk has about 4" hidden by the bottom cushion when in the couch position. Hidden behind the couch back is another cushion that increases the width of the bottom bunk when everything is in the bunk bed position. The bottom bunk has about the same or higher weight limit as the main bed.
As the children age they'll appreciate their own space, therefore a tent or two for them to sleep will probably be in your future no matter what you choose. And it won't be too many years before they won't be going with you anyway. Which means think about how you expect the trailer to last, 5 years, 10 years or 40-50 years. Molded fiberglass trailer can have a life expectancy of 40 to 50 years at least. I doubt any folding trailer will last that long.
Choose well and camp lots.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I think that there are threads here where people have reinforced their bunkbeds and/or built their own. There is a Google search function that you can take advantage of.

Here is one here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-25341-3.html Scroll down the page and you will see a set of bunks built by the owner.

Maybe you should take your wife to some rallies of each kind before you buy.

Welcome.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

West Virginia
Good afternoon, all.

First and foremost I want to thank you all for the welcomes. It's a grand thing to enjoy such fine hospitality. :-) Second, I apologize for not replying to the posts. Things have been hectic and I have felt scattered hither and yon with so many other goings on.

I hope you are all doing well.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #12

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
to the Forum Aaron.
Don't feel like you're alone in your search...............lol.
I'm sure you will find the "match" for your needs.

There are several brands to consider.
Scamp, Escape, Casita, Park Liner, Lil Snoozy, just to name a few.

The Lil Snoozy as is may not be a fit for you, but if you are handy,
you could order what is known as a Lil Hauly. Basically an empty shell.
You could build everything to suit your own needs. The way it is molded,
it can stand alone without any interior supports.

Good luck, glad you've joined us.
I believe we may have found what we are looking for, Carl. I was sure Casita would be the route we would take, but my lovely wife and I have come to like the looks and proximity of the ParkLiner. It has a few features that really appeal to us, especially the bunk bed system. I read that the top bunk will support an adult but am trying to reach ParkLiner to get a more definitive answer on weight. We shall see how things progress.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #13

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Pass along to Hubby that Chalet is coming out with a slide model. Escape also offers front bunks on the 17 footer. Parkliner Offers side bunks but good luck getting in touch with them.
We are now leaning towards the ParkLiner, Ken, but you're right about getting in touch with the folks working there. I've left three voice mails and sent an e-mail through the website, but have received no response. I know some folks would avoid a company that is difficult to reach but ParkLiner seems to be a solid choice, is closer to us than Scamp or Casita, and I find the look of it appealing. We shall see how things go, though.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #14

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Aaron welcome. The bunks in our Scamp 5er are beside the main upper bed. They go the width of the trailer. I have laid on them and they seem fine. I weigh 185Lbs. I think they would be fine. I'm not sure about the tag along units; how the bunks are in them. With the 5er if you were using the bunks and someone needed to exit the upper bed in the middle of the night for a bathroom break, it might get interesting. LOL
LOL! I have thought the same thing regarding the child in the top bunk needing a bathroom in the middle of the night and have been trying to come up with a ladder idea that would be convenient, but not too much in the way.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #15

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Aaron, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Choices, choices, choices... too many sometimes and that can be a PITA.

You've landed on an all molded towable forum and we're a bit prejudiced

If you want the scoop about A-liner and their issues, problems, etc. be sure to join a forum for that brand. You'll get an earful, good and bad.

ANY brand of all molded that has a bunk can be reinforced to hold more weight. I just question this statement "I asked him about the top bunk of Scamp's bunk beds and he advised they are rated for far more than 100 pounds." What does that mean? You wouldn't want to be the one on the bottom when the weight limit is exceeded and it falls! But, we're here to help you, so that doesn't happen.

Good luck in your decision!
Howdy, Donna. You are so right about Aliner. I really liked them initially, but the more I read and see the less wonderful I think they are. I had told my wife that if it were just she and me we would go with an Aliner. After my research, however, that thought is out the window. At this point I think I would take just about any trailer over an A frame. That's a shame, too, because they really are a fantastic concept.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #16

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's so sad that, after building the same thing for 40+ years that Scamp can't give you a better answer that "way over 100 lbs." But Scamps customer support/service has been a popular topic hereabouts recently.

That said, the front bunks are very skinny, but are the width of the trailer. I suspect that if your younger one is already at 100 lbs that they won't be long for those bunks.

I think you will find that the 13' MFRV's are best suited for couples with pre teens at the most. The good news is that there are a number of used ones out there and, in most cases, if you buy a used one and don't like it, they are easy to resell for about what you have in them.

If you need an abode for 2+2 that is as roomy as your pop-up, you might want to look at something at east 16-17' long. But, before doing that, what are you towing with???
Good grief. I'm sorry, Bob. I never did mention my tow vehicle. Currently we are using an 08 Honda Ridgeline. I think it would tow well enough for now. We tend to pack light, and never travel with fluids in the tanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #17

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A bit about the Scamp bunks. The sleeping length is the same as main bed. I doubt Scamp has ever run tests to determine the maximum weight the top bunk will handle. There is a very simple solution to the weight problem, put the lightest weight person on the top bunk. There are wider than they might appear. The top bunk has about 4" hidden by the bottom cushion when in the couch position. Hidden behind the couch back is another cushion that increases the width of the bottom bunk when everything is in the bunk bed position. The bottom bunk has about the same or higher weight limit as the main bed.
As the children age they'll appreciate their own space, therefore a tent or two for them to sleep will probably be in your future no matter what you choose. And it won't be too many years before they won't be going with you anyway. Which means think about how you expect the trailer to last, 5 years, 10 years or 40-50 years. Molded fiberglass trailer can have a life expectancy of 40 to 50 years at least. I doubt any folding trailer will last that long.
Choose well and camp lots.
Hola, Byron. The longevity of a maintained fiberglass rig is the primary reason we are so interested in them. We'd prefer to purchase something that will last us even after the wee ones are on their own.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #18

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I think that there are threads here where people have reinforced their bunkbeds and/or built their own. There is a Google search function that you can take advantage of.

Here is one here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-25341-3.html Scroll down the page and you will see a set of bunks built by the owner.

Maybe you should take your wife to some rallies of each kind before you buy.

Welcome.

CindyL
I would love to do a rally or two, Cindy. I try to watch for postings about them, but it seems we always have something going on when there is a get together. Somewhat frustrating, but Lord willing patience will pay off.