Howdy—Still Looking in the New England Desert! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That Casita will surely have the EZ lube axle, a grease fitting under a rubber cap. Do some research on how that works. I would tow it home, testing the brakes on the way, and pull the hubs when you get home and inspect it all. I recently replaced the brake assemblies on our '96 Casita because of rust, wear, and adjusters seized. You can buy the whole assembly, backing plate with shoes and all the parts. Price depends on if you get original Dexter parts or aftermarket
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Don't trust 3 year old tires. Perhaps it was the brand on our VT, but one of our 3 year old tires blew last year on our way to FL. Cover yourself. Make sure the spare is good.

CindyL
Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #23

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #24

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
So glad you found what you really wanted! (And let me know if you find reasonable service in the Boston area. We decided to just forget about putting brakes on our Scamp 13 unless we can do it in Minnesota because the quotes we were getting here were ridiculous.)
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
A few thoughts...Tires...if the original owner covered the tires they should be fine. Age is always a concern as UV damage compounds over time. If they were covered they should be fine...inspect for cracks in rubber side walls and between the threads. I'm not a fan of what some call EZ Lube fittings as it is too easy to pump lube greese into the brakes (not good).

The brakes: use your controller to test the brakes the first time you roll. You might hear some squeaking as any surface rust is scuffed off the drums.

After purchasing any used trailer have it inspected (tires, bearings, and brakes) at an RV dealership. I suggest an RV dealership because all too often the local auto repair shop uses the wrong parts. Best example of this is using the wrong wheel bearing seals and that caused you to leak bearing greese (not a good thing). Because your unit has had little use and is almost new the other items like appliances, water heater, air conditioner and water pump should be fine (I assume you tested them prior to purchase).

Good Luck and Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #26

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Happy Camping!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Got it home with no problems, except interminable rush-hour traffic on I-495.

Brake controller recognizes brakes; I set gain to -0- so as not to even actuate them until I've had a chance to look and experiment next week.

Tows well, and looks great. Spare tire has been covered and never used. But two side tires seem good (no cracks or rot, good tread). I may rotate them, though then I'll have one much newer on one side. Not really a problem for a trailer, I guess. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape advises to rotate tires on the tandem axle trailers front to back, not side to side. So, I don't think you want to rotate, or it's best to investigate further.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #29

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Mr Lynn,
It was a bit of an ordeal but well worth it, CONGRATULATIONS let the adventure begin. Happy Camping!
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In regular use and properly stored when not in use, three year old tires should be fine. It gets iffy when a trailer sits unmoved for a year or more. Worse if uncovered and/or parked with weight on tires.

If in doubt, I'd just replace them. A blowout can really ruin your day, and collateral damage to the fiberglass is always possible.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote