Hum...where to start...and English not my first language - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Good point RogerDat...
And a nice little electric fridge would be fine, same as a little electric heater (for now anyway)

I do check under the trailer but DH and I are not very knowledgebable about underside of RV. .

Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mireille L View Post
Good point RogerDat...
And a nice little electric fridge would be fine, same as a little electric heater (for now anyway)

I do check under the trailer but DH and I are not very knowledgebable about underside of RV. .
If you pack the small electric fridge freezer with those blue ice packs once frozen they can keep your fridge pretty cool all day while you travel. And those little cube bookshelf heaters will keep a 13 foot camper toasty with no problem, get one with a thermostat.

Since most leaking water will follow the wall down to the floor, and the inside walls mostly have something in front of them like cabinets or seats you open those and look for water stains or puffy wood ( the wood swells when it gets water damaged). And if it's been allowed to be wet for too long it gets really soft.

Underside your looking for water stains, puffy wood or soft spots in the floor. On the metal frame anything that is bent or that looks like someone welded a second piece of metal onto the frame as a patch or splint to fix damage, or cracks where the metal joins to metal. If the frame is metal tubes you want to look for rust holes. Rust holes in a tube frame is a restoration job, not a repair.

Check the wheels, with someone inside bouncing up and down between the wheels and the front of the trailer do the wheels move up and down. Or does the tire just bulge. The tires should be able to move up and down to handle bumps or the suspension is bottomed out.

Another thing to check is you should be able to get a fist side ways on top of the tire. Between the tire and the top of the wheel well that surrounds it. If not that is an indication that the suspension has settled a lot.

Suspension being worn out is not a reason to not buy the trailer but replacing the axle to address it costs between 6 and 7 hundred dollars so it might be a factor in what is a good price.

Lots of folks are using campers with worn suspensions (like mine) so it does not prevent one from using the camper, it just means the camper and the stuff inside gets a rougher ride from the road bumps. And the trailer rides low so it has more chance that it will scrape on a steep driveway.

Hopefully this is not too much information, good hunting, out there someplace is the perfect camper for you.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #17

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Wow. Thank you for the details. I'm printing this !