Hunter Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: Shar
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Red face Hunter Compact Jr

Hi There! Going to look at a 1971 Hunter Compact Jr on Thursday and wondering if anyone can give me advice on what to look for in these cute little fiberglass trailers. It looks pretty good on the outside and I've heard that the exterior is built well, but the interior of these trailers is kinda chinzy, cheap? I will be using it primarily for a mobile hand painted shoes and clothing boutique. Taking out the stove and fridge, sink...whatever else is in there that I can remove to give me floorspace. Although most of my display will be set up outside the trailer, I will use it as a "draw", a showplace of sorts. Also, where do i get awnings to fit this trailer? Wish me luck, trying to find someone to meet me there (family or friends) to look at the frame and make sure it is structurally sound before towing it home for refurb. Hopefully, mostly cosmetic stuff but I do have friends who can do cabintry, mechanics and upholstery so I'm good there. Price is $4000...if in good shape, is that a fair price?
shoegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
The interior cabinets and wall supports hold the trailer together making the body stiffer. I think if you remove to much the body will sag some and as you tow it will wiggle side to side.
Look at the floor pounding with you food near the entrance door inside of each cabinet. Check for dry rot around the window wood frame inside. Look at the tires and code date. Make sure trailer lights work.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As mentioned, the cabinets are part of the structural integrity of the shell. Remove those and things will get a bit floppy.

You don't mention where you are in CA, but any decent RV shop will be able to order an awning, but you might want to look at the folding one sold by the "Bus Barn" for use with VW campers.

A $4000 Hunter should be in too good a shape to gut out. What you want to do suggests that a "fixer" in the $1500 range would be more appropriate as a start.

About inspecting: Beware if the frame "Looks" freshly done. Many a seller has been known to cover a rusty frame with spray can paint just before selling. Be more concerned with the age of the tires (they are marked) Anything over 6 years old is at risk to fail.

Here is a link to what my Hunter Compact-II looks like. If you are in SoCal, contact me via P.M. if you would like to look it over for ideas.

Robert Miller's (advocateone)'s Library | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Just be aware that you cannot remove the mid-way walls- the cabinet walls serve as supports for the roof. Something else could be there- but something has to be there, you can't just have a shell.

My guess- it probably isn't what you want. You can't stand upright in the whole trailer, just in the center, and then your head is looking up and over where you might want to show clothes or shoes.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #5

I take it you will be lookiing at the one in Twain Harte. From the pics it's a very nice bone stock Compact Jr but still, in my humble opinion, a bit over priced.

Because it has the full length pop top it also depends on several intermediate wall sections to hold the roof up as well. Without the walls there, the weight of the pop-up top would quickly flex and damage the roof opening area.

Again, not a good idea to gut it.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I like the Hunter Compact Jr as it is one of the few trailers that would fit in the garage of my craftsman house. I do think that $4 k is grossly overpriced unless its in pristine shape. I would say a trillium may be a btter fit for your needs as it is a bit wider.

BTW if anyone knows about a Compact Jr for sale, I am looking for one too.
mgaedic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

California
I recently blew it I think by not buying the Trillium in Chico..........Needed a little work and the frame cleaned up but it was only $3000...............I offered $2500 knowing full well the trailer was worth at least that if not more. It got sold.
I have a family member who is an mechanical engineer to go up and look at it with me so I can get any input on structural.
Thanks for your input and advice everybody. I will take all that into consideration when I look at the trailer. mgaedic2..if I don't buy it, will fill you in on the trailer condition.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Shar, be sure to download, print and take the Buyer's Checklist with you when going to look at any all molded towable. It will remind you of things to check out: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
Mgaedic2 or Chris, we are selling our 1973 Compact II in case you're interested. We bought it a year and a half ago thinking it would be great for our daughter to use when camping with us. It isn't working out that way so we've decided to sell it. I'm going to list it for sale officially, but thought I'd jump in on this thread just in case one of you might be interested. We're asking $3400.

This Compact II has been cleaned up and refurbished by the folks we bought it from here on FiberglassRV.com. The trailer pop-top has new canvas and poly windows, upholstery, and laminate flooring, and cabinet work. This is one of the few models that includes a marine toilet (not a slide out porta-potty) which for some is a really sought-after feature. There is also a three-burner stove, oven (we have not tested and used the oven, but the stove does work), 2-way refrigerator, and propane catalytic heater.

There's always more to be done on these older trailers, but it's ready to use as-is except we'd highly recommend new tires. Message me if you happen to be interested. I'll upload some photos that I have and new ones as soon as my camera recharges -
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
NorCal Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #10

Compact II

Don't know why that previous pic shows up up-side-down. Sorry
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #11

Interior - seating for 6 or bed for two, new curtains that match upholstery, screens on all windows, roof vent, and original rock guard.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #12

Sink, three burner stove, oven, cabinets and closet.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #13

Double doors hide the small but very serviceable toilet.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Ellen View Post
Mgaedic2 or Chris, we are selling our 1973 Compact II in case you're interested. We bought it a year and a half ago thinking it would be great for our daughter to use when camping with us. It isn't working out that way so we've decided to sell it. I'm going to list it for sale officially, but thought I'd jump in on this thread just in case one of you might be interested. We're asking $3400.

This Compact II has been cleaned up and refurbished by the folks we bought it from here on FiberglassRV.com. The trailer pop-top has new canvas and poly windows, upholstery, and laminate flooring, and cabinet work. This is one of the few models that includes a marine toilet (not a slide out porta-potty) which for some is a really sought-after feature. There is also a three-burner stove, oven (we have not tested and used the oven, but the stove does work), 2-way refrigerator, and propane catalytic heater.

There's always more to be done on these older trailers, but it's ready to use as-is except we'd highly recommend new tires. Message me if you happen to be interested. I'll upload some photos that I have and new ones as soon as my camera recharges -
I may be interested......where are you located? I am in the Sacramento area and do you have any interior photos?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
I may be interested......where are you located? I am in the Sacramento area and do you have any interior photos?
My camera has been recharging for a little while, so I'll go out and take some now. We live off of I-80 just about 12 miles above Auburn. Want to drive up and see it today?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #16

California
Got it printed Thanks so much!!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #17

California
It will be tomorrow afternoon when Iget back from Sonora or maybe even on Friday if thats okay!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #18

Name: Chris
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
I recently blew it I think by not buying the Trillium in Chico..........Needed a little work and the frame cleaned up but it was only $3000...............I offered $2500 knowing full well the trailer was worth at least that if not more. It got sold.
I have a family member who is an mechanical engineer to go up and look at it with me so I can get any input on structural.
Thanks for your input and advice everybody. I will take all that into consideration when I look at the trailer. mgaedic2..if I don't buy it, will fill you in on the trailer condition.
I checked that trillium as well. The owner was a nice guy, he was firm at $3000. I think the trailer was in decent shape, but it needed some work on the frame, doors and windows. At the end I decided not to buy it which was good as I need sometging that fits my garage.

Cristian
mgaedic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #19

California
Thanks for your advice you guys. I went to look at the Compact Jr today in Twain Harte with my nephew who is an engineer. He said the trailer was solid and the frame in decent shape. Some wiring issues, tires fair but been sitting for awhile. Couldn't get the taillights to work so couldn't have towed it home even if I wanted it. Just very frustrated that really all I want is a gutted Casita, Boler, Trillium, or a similar fiberglass trailer. I would think there would be more projects out there than I'm seeing and no one seems to get rid of them. So..................looking still for that one deal trailer with no amenities. If I don't find one soon, gonna settle on a cargo trailer, but that is not really what I want.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #20

TIP TO LOOKERS ABOUT LIGHTS

If you are looking at anything more than 10 years old, it's always a good idea to buy an inexpensive set of magnetic trailer lights at Harbor Freight to take alone with you. I can tell you from personal experiences, lights almost never all work on trailers that aren't being used on a regular basis. Less than $20 and you are good to go no matter what. Ooops, also take along a roll of duct tape to attach the lights with, the magnets don't always have a good surface to stick to.

And the original wiring harness on most Compacts was installed under the inside walls coverings and is a Bi**h to repair. You will usually just have to run all new wires and tuck them into the frame, it's a lot easier and faster