I am Chris from NH looking at ParkLiner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #15

Name: Chris
Trailer: Looking
NH
Thank you, Everyone!

There is a lot to think about here.

Bill - Yup! PL 16' may let us stick with the Odyssey but anything bigger, like the Escape, means a bigger tow vehicle. Good reminder about dry vs. real weight. Pilot AWD version can handle 5000 lbs and more tongue weight.

Civilguy - I have my own spreadsheets going too. I like the data in yours. Are you an engineer? Civil engineer? I am a chemE and your analysis looks a little like mine. Airstream Sport 22FB is very pretty. I also don't like the look of those sliders (or stick builts in general for that matter). They look like more problems for the future - leaks or mechanical - then I want to deal with.

Rdickens - I hope to check out that Scamp at OBX. Good to know the 16' Scamp has an option for 54" bed. They did not tell me that when I talked to them. Said it was only in 13'. I'll add the 16' Deluxe to my spreadsheet.

Gerry - School age kids may get in the way of the NH Spring Fling but we will see if we can make it work.

I love the interaction in these forums. :-) It is awesome.
Chris

Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I am Chris from NH looking at ParkLiner

Chris,

If you haven't been reading it, you might find that the following thread could offer additional insights:

Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

Ray

Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Hi Chris, I have a 2014 Parkliner and travel with 3-4 dogs and haul with a Town and Country. I thought about getting something a little bigger as it is a bit cramped when everyone is inside but then I got looking at some others and realized unless you go quite a bit larger with a slide you really aren't gaining much. I consider my trailer to be kind of like a hotel room where you don't want to stay in there all day but it sure is nice to have available. One other thing, I don't really feel that my T & C hauls as well as I would like. I weighed my entire rig and was right at the maximum. For the distances I go it is fine since I am usually just going to a dog show that is not too far away but if I were to haul it long distances I would definitely use our Suburban. I absolutely adore my little trailer, if you get one you can bet you will never go anywhere without people stopping you and asking all kinds of questions. I love showing her off. Good luck with your decision
Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Either the Honda Pilot or its sibling the Acura MDX are a perfect fit for the 15' Parkliners. For our MDX, we added a transmission cooler for good measure. We're now rated to tow 5000 lbs.

I can stand up at 5'10 easy with room to spare in my 2016 PL. I'm a big man, yet can shower with no difficulty. If you can find one with an exterior water spigot, I recommend it. With a short hose and water wand attached, we have thoroughly enjoyed it as a hand held outdoor shower, much less for all the other uses it affords.

The queen is adequate. It seems to be a real queen size, but I've done no formal comparison with my queen at home. We added a mattress topper and it's as good as we could want. We sleep 2 but 4 could make do in a pinch.

fyi the A/C was awesome in this summer's heat wave and the heater is terrific too. Give the fridge a few hours to cool down and it does just fine. We have the macerating toilet and have found it "does the job."

Within 6 months we no longer noticed space limitations. It feels more adequate each time we go out.

We love our PL.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
I don't see where anyone has posted information about the "new" Parkliner. If you're looking at one of the new ones, I'm thinking due to the double hull construction, the weight will increase quite a bit. Liberty will have one of the 16' Parkliners at the rally so you can post the new specs after the rally. I cannot attend but hope to get all the reviews AND pictures, please.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:03 AM   #20

NH
We bought an airstream in the end

Hello all,

In the end, we did not want to wait for ParkLiner although I will continue to watch.

Escape layout was not to my liking, the interior seemed so dark, and we wanted to work with a local dealer if at all possible.

Other fg trailers had to be pretty big to get a 54" or bigger bed and sleep 3-4.

Airstream Sport 22FB ACTUAL price was not as much as we thought. We pick ours up tomorrow.

We will not be at Eggshells on the OBX this year afterall although we may attend as a shiny egg in the future.

I appreciate all the info on this site. I will be lurking still.

THANK YOU!
Chris
Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
The thing about pretty much any traditional trailer (like an Airstream) is they are wider than most molded fiberglass trailers. And at 22 feet long, only the largest Bigfoot and the largest Oliver have that kind of length.'

So in the end, you end up with a lot more square footage.

Its one reason slide outs are so popular. Yes, they are mechanically complicated and can be a source of leaks, but they make the trailer MUCH wider, and add to the square footage.

FG trailers are an acquired taste. They tend to cost more than the traditional trailers (other than an Airstream), dealers don't carry them (other than Bigfoot), there is a several months long waiting list for each brand, and unless you live near one of the factories, figure a long trip just to get a new trailer.

So I understand why someone would be attracted to an Airstream.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The thing about pretty much any traditional trailer (like an Airstream) is they are wider than most molded fiberglass trailers. And at 22 feet long, only the largest Bigfoot and the largest Oliver have that kind of length.
Our Escape will be 21' 4" long, so that's pretty close to Airstream's 21' 8".

The 22FB's published width is only 7' 3.25". Or, 7' 3 1/4" as the more conventional all-fractional notation would have it.

This appears to be a unique trailer in Airstream's current lineup in this respect. Even the "little" Sport 16 is a full 8' wide. With the exception of the Basecamp, I believe all their other offerings are either 8' or 8' 5 1/2". The narrower width of the 22FB was a big part of the appeal to me.

As vehicles get wider, it takes more concentration to handle narrow old bridges and skinny highways. I don't know if it's just my imagination or if more people are now driving larger vehicles than they know how to handle, but I seem to find more and more vehicles creeping over on on my side of the center line.

I was grateful last month for the full size (dually?) pickup driver who was on a stretch the historic Columbia River highway, driving with his mirrors folded in. The "guardrails" there are low basalt walls and everyone tends to maintain a goodly shy-distance away from them. In this case, I'm not sure that I would have cleared if he didn't have his mirrors in.

The bridge across the Columbia at Hood River is another skinny one.

I think I can handle a larger vehicle and/or trailer, (don't we all? ), but personally I like having the extra grace of a skinnier trailer and being able to use my stock mirrors. It's more relaxing.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #23

NH
We did end up buying a bigger Tow Vehicle too. A 2017 Toyota Tundra.

A little bigger then we expected but it gives us some flexibility moving forward and plenty of power to handle NH hills.

FGs are surprisingly rare in the Northeast. I am hoping the Lil Guy RV dealer in Rutland, VT decides to carry ParkLiner just so I can check one out.

See you out there.
Chris

Tags
parkliner