I Am jerry - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: shopping
Kentucky
I Am jerry

Hello,
I have been meaning to join for a while, but just found a couple of potential purchases, and now I have some questions.
about towing a Casita Freedom Delux, or a Scam; 19 FW with my 2000 Nissan Frontier, 2.4 L automatic.
Thanks
Jerry P
iamJerryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Jerry.

Two places I'd recommend looking before you get your heart set on anything are: (1) your owner's manual (read everything it says about towing, including any special equipment needed on the truck or trailer), and (2) the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-43010-22.html (post #297 has a nice downloadable spreadsheet with actual loaded-for-camping weights of various makes and models). With the Casitas you will see that there is a big difference weight-wise between the 16' and 17' models - you didn't say which you were considering.

Good luck in your egg hunt!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Jerry. Can't say about the 5er but the FD you are looking at has the heaviest tongue weights of the Casitas. My SD 17 is 364# ready to roll and the TV is a Ranger 4.0 auto. Pulls it nice, even on long grades but I do know it's there. I've had your same motor in another Ranger. I don't think I would concider either of the 17's with it.....maybe the 16' models as they are a lot lighter. Just my 2 cents.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

Kentucky
Thanks to both of you.
I am approaching this carefully. I have been looking at teardrops, but i want a bathroom, as does the wife,
Happened to run across the Casita, which is a really good deal, price wise, and the scamp, can be negotiated down some, making it a reasonably good deal.
With either trailer, a couple of Danes, maybe a topper, on the truck, me, and the wife are over the Nissan 2.4 limits of 2,000 lbs for the automatic.
Owners manual states 2000 w/auto , and 3500 w/manual.
Many years ago when I worked at a Ford dealership, the autos were better to pull with than the manuals, maybe that was Ford specific as they concentrate heavily on towing, and hauling.
Need to check into transmission coolers, maybe a heavy weight distributing hitch, and see if that will help with capacity. Maybe not, will have to see.
I only have 85k on the truck, and no good reason to trade in a extremely dependable truck, just to haul a trailer around a few times a year.

I pull and haul sort of heavy loads fairly often, just not that heavy, and as far
i hauled 2000lbs of gravel in the truck bed Friday, accidentally over loaded it. Heaviest ever was 1500 lbs, and I could have driven anywhere with that,
No problem with the power, but the tires, and suspension were in a world of hurt 8-).
I have pulled my Plane, on a very heavy trailer in the past, and never had any trouble.
I also pulled a 24ft pontoon boat,
I am considering putting a full ton plus a little, of gravel my utility trailer, which will bring it up to about 3,000 and see how it pulls.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamJerryp View Post
With either trailer, a couple of Danes, maybe a topper, on the truck, me, and the wife are over the Nissan 2.4 limits of 2,000 lbs for the automatic.
Looks to me like the Dane is just too big for that truck. Might need some load levellers with 2 of them in the back.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Beautiful dog...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If I am not mistaken your truck only has a 3500lb tow cap which means if you go with the trailers you are considering you may be pushing it.

As others suggested the thread "Real World Trailer Weights" Post #1 has the actual loaded weights of the trailers you are considering on it. Note most were weighed at a trailer meet at park with services so it probable that few had much or any water in their tanks or at least I know mine didn't when weighed at the same meet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If I am not mistaken your truck only has a 3500lb tow cap which means if you go with the trailers you are considering you may be pushing it.
Yes, I think you guys are right, it would be at the limit, ands probably more...
The little Nissan is a workhorse of a truck for its size, but just because you can pull it, does not mean you should, as you may pay for it in the long run.
I do not want to buy a new truck as it only has 85K on it, and it never has issue, in 15 years, other than tires, and oil changes, twice a year, I have spent less than a couple hundred buck on on repairs.
one pulley wheel, a couple of belt, a wiper motor rod front brakes, and shock.
Not a truck I am anxious to give up. my biggest issue is a current AC leak that took all summer to leak out.
There is no good true reason to actually trade it off because it is such a good truck...
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jerry as you will see there are other trailers on the Real World weight list that will come in a lot lighter and do have the bathroom that you wanted - the 16' Scamp standard would be one of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamJerryp View Post
I do not want to buy a new truck as it only has 85K on it, and it never has issue, in 15 years,
There is no good true reason to actually trade it off because it is such a good truck...
I hear you, I feel the same about my Ranger that is a few years older with similar mileage.

You will soon find that what we consider to be everday replacement parts are being discontinued. We had trouble sourcing a front emergency brake cable and rear drums this year. I assumed those would be pretty standard parts. I'ts easier to get brake parts for my '79 trailer than it is for my '94 Ranger.

Sooner or later we are going to hit the wall on getting parts and will have to bite the bullet.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #11

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I hear you, I feel the same about my Ranger that is a few years older with similar mileage.

You will soon find that what we consider to be everday replacement parts are being discontinued. We had trouble sourcing a front emergency brake cable and rear drums this year. I assumed those would be pretty standard parts. I'ts easier to get brake parts for my '79 trailer than it is for my '94 Ranger.

Sooner or later we are going to hit the wall on getting parts and will have to bite the bullet.
But because they are such good trucks, that will still be a while.
Wish they still made a Ranger truck, Ford Rangers would be on my short list of new trucks if they still made them.
Big error on Fords part to discontinue them. Once a market is acquiesced, it is hard to get back, lots of people who did not automatically move to f150s, are now driving Nissans, and Toyotas, and there is little reason to go back if your a happy Japanese truck driver. Although Nissan frontiers are made in Tennessee.

If I bought anything, it would likely be another Nissan truck,
Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Sound like you don't drive much like me. The way I see it the last of the 2011 and 2012 Rangers made will be coming off lease soon here in North America. I should start keeping my eye out for one. People tend not to like to buy something that is no longer made.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #13

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Roy 2011 was last year that Ford made the Ranger in NA. In 2012 Ford made the new bigger ranger in Australia. Just checked all Canada on Kijiji and only 248 2011's listed.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Ford is bringing out the 2016 Global Ranger. It will have a 3.2 Litre Diesel. It is a " 1 Tonne " Pickup Truck which means minimum payload of 2,200lbs and a 3500kg towing capacity or 7,700lbs. maximum payload is 3,100lb. Fuel economy 7.1/100k or 38mpg US
Very different to US Ranger,
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote