I am the proud owner of this unknown trailer. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
Posts: 8
I am the proud owner of this unknown trailer.

Can you identify this trailer. It is 11 ft long ,6 ft wide and 6 ft high. It is made of 5 pieces and a floor. The front and back are made from a mold as is the roof which is curved and shaped like a Pyrex lasagna dish. There is no nameplate and it is quite old. I am guessing 50s or 60s. The maker used fiberglass cloth instead of blown chop. The parts were reinforced with 1x2 hardwood. The frame is made from high quality steel. I bought it for $500 and gutted it losing 350lbs. It had a kitchenette, shelves, bunk bed, wood paneling which all had water damage. The floor had 1/2 inch chipboard which I stripped out. The floor had a good quality steel floor underneath which was strong enough on its own. I added a king size bed. My wife likes to camp so we use a screen tent to cook. Our tow in 2011 when I bought this was a 97 Aerostar so I didn't want too much weight. This is the ugliest trailer around and we get lots of stares. Still it has been coast to coast. I am from Toronto Canada. My wife says that we were able to put everything we needed in a canoe for two weeks. John
Attached Thumbnails
trailer two.jpg   trailerone.jpg  

__________________

__________________
john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
No idea what it is, but the thought popped into my head that you've got the Citroen 2CV of trailers... as in, so homely it's cute!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	113038

I think it's got potential. Are all the panels fiberglass? Any idea what it weighs?
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,923
Welcome to FGRV John. That is an interesting trailer and maybe one of our gurus can give you an ID. Maybe it's a mystery trailer cuz your pics show all four sides and the door is a mystery to me .
__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 1,361
the car

jon I saw those cars in france!!!

bob
__________________
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 1,361
welcome

by the way welcome john love your little camper!!

bob
__________________
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Straying.
Attached Thumbnails
2cv 2.jpg   2CV.jpg  

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
Posts: 8
Unknown Trailer

I didn't show the door because I think it was added later. The comparison to the 2cv Citroen is appropriate actually as they both smell quite badly. But at least my trailer smelled OK after I gutted it . The Citroen is cheap but always noisy and smelly John
__________________
john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
JC_In_Austin's Avatar
 
Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Posts: 117
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hackert View Post
Can you identify this trailer. It is 11 ft long ,6 ft wide and 6 ft high. It is made of 5 pieces and a floor. The front and back are made from a mold as is the roof which is curved and shaped like a Pyrex lasagna dish. There is no nameplate and it is quite old. I am guessing 50s or 60s. The maker used fiberglass cloth instead of blown chop. The parts were reinforced with 1x2 hardwood. The frame is made from high quality steel. I bought it for $500 and gutted it losing 350lbs. It had a kitchenette, shelves, bunk bed, wood paneling which all had water damage. The floor had 1/2 inch chipboard which I stripped out. The floor had a good quality steel floor underneath which was strong enough on its own. I added a king size bed. My wife likes to camp so we use a screen tent to cook. Our tow in 2011 when I bought this was a 97 Aerostar so I didn't want too much weight. This is the ugliest trailer around and we get lots of stares. Still it has been coast to coast. I am from Toronto Canada. My wife says that we were able to put everything we needed in a canoe for two weeks. John
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool rig, and I love the canoe reference ~ I get it!
__________________
_______________________________
Life is short, but it's wide! #TravelOn
JC_In_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
...Maybe it's a mystery trailer cuz your pics show all four sides and the door is a mystery to me .
I'm guessing the door is facing the house. That side doesn't show in either picture. It's confusing because the front looks like the back, but you can just make out the tongue in the shadows of the second shot.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 815
What a cool little camper John! Your wife sounds like a good sport too. Keep 'em both!

The Citroen was a real luxury car in Vietnam. Quite a few in Saigon, all black.

Tom
__________________
TomK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hackert View Post
I didn't show the door because I think it was added later. The comparison to the 2cv Citroen is appropriate actually as they both smell quite badly...
Perhaps the original occupants couldn't get out. That would account for the smell...
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
Posts: 8
The front and the back are made off the same mold exactly . But the roof was made out of a different mold. you don't get curved rounded sides without a mold which is costly. If this is a home made the guy that built it over 50years ago had access to the best materials including high-gauge sheet plate flooring and almost armor plate steel frame John
__________________
john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
Posts: 8
I guess the other question is when did Fiberglas cloth and resin become available. I sort of remember my dad and I fiber glassing a boat we had about 1960. I was 12 then. John
__________________
john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hackert View Post
The front and the back are made off the same mold exactly . But the roof was made out of a different mold. you don't get curved rounded sides without a mold which is costly. If this is a home made the guy that built it over 50years ago had access to the best materials including high-gauge sheet plate flooring and almost armor plate steel frame John
That sure smells like a home-built project, or perhaps a prototype that never saw production. Designs intended for market do not typically use top drawer materials. Small, modestly priced, production trailers require a lot of attention to cost control. Sounds heavy for its size, too, which you would not expect in a production unit.
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unknown Fiberglass Trailer? Pam Garlow General Chat 20 03-27-2014 11:19 AM
Unknown trailer Marinab General Chat 3 05-20-2012 02:48 PM
hello...we have an unknown trailer... skarlet514 Hi, I am.... 21 05-13-2012 07:45 PM
Unknown trailer Marinab General Chat 8 09-21-2010 12:38 AM
Amerigo - Unknown year. Carolyn Patterson Classified Archives 13 05-19-2009 10:40 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.