I am the proud owner of this unknown trailer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
I am the proud owner of this unknown trailer.

Can you identify this trailer. It is 11 ft long ,6 ft wide and 6 ft high. It is made of 5 pieces and a floor. The front and back are made from a mold as is the roof which is curved and shaped like a Pyrex lasagna dish. There is no nameplate and it is quite old. I am guessing 50s or 60s. The maker used fiberglass cloth instead of blown chop. The parts were reinforced with 1x2 hardwood. The frame is made from high quality steel. I bought it for $500 and gutted it losing 350lbs. It had a kitchenette, shelves, bunk bed, wood paneling which all had water damage. The floor had 1/2 inch chipboard which I stripped out. The floor had a good quality steel floor underneath which was strong enough on its own. I added a king size bed. My wife likes to camp so we use a screen tent to cook. Our tow in 2011 when I bought this was a 97 Aerostar so I didn't want too much weight. This is the ugliest trailer around and we get lots of stares. Still it has been coast to coast. I am from Toronto Canada. My wife says that we were able to put everything we needed in a canoe for two weeks. John
Attached Thumbnails
trailer two.jpg   trailerone.jpg  

john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No idea what it is, but the thought popped into my head that you've got the Citroen 2CV of trailers... as in, so homely it's cute!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	113038

I think it's got potential. Are all the panels fiberglass? Any idea what it weighs?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV John. That is an interesting trailer and maybe one of our gurus can give you an ID. Maybe it's a mystery trailer cuz your pics show all four sides and the door is a mystery to me .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
the car

jon I saw those cars in france!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

by the way welcome john love your little camper!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Straying.
Attached Thumbnails
2cv 2.jpg   2CV.jpg  

Old 10-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

Ontario
Unknown Trailer

I didn't show the door because I think it was added later. The comparison to the 2cv Citroen is appropriate actually as they both smell quite badly. But at least my trailer smelled OK after I gutted it . The Citroen is cheap but always noisy and smelly John
Old 10-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #8

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hackert View Post
Can you identify this trailer. It is 11 ft long ,6 ft wide and 6 ft high. It is made of 5 pieces and a floor. The front and back are made from a mold as is the roof which is curved and shaped like a Pyrex lasagna dish. There is no nameplate and it is quite old. I am guessing 50s or 60s. The maker used fiberglass cloth instead of blown chop. The parts were reinforced with 1x2 hardwood. The frame is made from high quality steel. I bought it for $500 and gutted it losing 350lbs. It had a kitchenette, shelves, bunk bed, wood paneling which all had water damage. The floor had 1/2 inch chipboard which I stripped out. The floor had a good quality steel floor underneath which was strong enough on its own. I added a king size bed. My wife likes to camp so we use a screen tent to cook. Our tow in 2011 when I bought this was a 97 Aerostar so I didn't want too much weight. This is the ugliest trailer around and we get lots of stares. Still it has been coast to coast. I am from Toronto Canada. My wife says that we were able to put everything we needed in a canoe for two weeks. John
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool rig, and I love the canoe reference ~ I get it!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
...Maybe it's a mystery trailer cuz your pics show all four sides and the door is a mystery to me .
I'm guessing the door is facing the house. That side doesn't show in either picture. It's confusing because the front looks like the back, but you can just make out the tongue in the shadows of the second shot.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
What a cool little camper John! Your wife sounds like a good sport too. Keep 'em both!

The Citroen was a real luxury car in Vietnam. Quite a few in Saigon, all black.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I didn't show the door because I think it was added later. The comparison to the 2cv Citroen is appropriate actually as they both smell quite badly...
Perhaps the original occupants couldn't get out. That would account for the smell...
Old 10-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #12

Ontario
The front and the back are made off the same mold exactly . But the roof was made out of a different mold. you don't get curved rounded sides without a mold which is costly. If this is a home made the guy that built it over 50years ago had access to the best materials including high-gauge sheet plate flooring and almost armor plate steel frame John
Old 10-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #13

Ontario
I guess the other question is when did Fiberglas cloth and resin become available. I sort of remember my dad and I fiber glassing a boat we had about 1960. I was 12 then. John
Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The front and the back are made off the same mold exactly . But the roof was made out of a different mold. you don't get curved rounded sides without a mold which is costly. If this is a home made the guy that built it over 50years ago had access to the best materials including high-gauge sheet plate flooring and almost armor plate steel frame John
That sure smells like a home-built project, or perhaps a prototype that never saw production. Designs intended for market do not typically use top drawer materials. Small, modestly priced, production trailers require a lot of attention to cost control. Sounds heavy for its size, too, which you would not expect in a production unit.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Neat little trailer, just remember that if the "wife' likes camping and is happy in the camper you have it made, make sure that you take care of both of them.

FYI, I live in Toronto and bought my first 13 ft Trillium in 1976 from a neighbour who had it sitting in his back yard for many years. It was not an "official" Trilli, no gel-coat just bare fiberglass primer and no "emblem" on door. I bought the interior equipment from the local Trillium factory at the time to finish it and we had a lot of fun with it.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
In the mid 50's a family member bought a 14 foot fiberglass boat. It was built like a tank. Made from cloth and resin. Way overbuilt.

Quote:
I guess the other question is when did Fiberglas cloth and resin become available. I sort of remember my dad and I fiber glassing a boat we had about 1960. I was 12 then. John
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #17

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Can you identify this trailer. It is 11 ft long ,6 ft wide and 6 ft high. It is made of 5 pieces and a floor. The front and back are made from a mold as is the roof which is curved and shaped like a Pyrex lasaThis is the ugliest trailer around and we get lots of stares. John
I really like the look of your trailer! But where is the door?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #18

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I really like the look of your trailer! But where is the door?
Wait! Never mind. I think I see a door on the left side, just in front of the window. But a door without a window? Can't wait to hear more about the history of your mystery trailer.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #19

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Can you identify this trailer. ... Still it has been coast to coast. ... John
Going coast to coast (in Canada, I assume), did the trailer not have to be registered and licensed? And if so, is there no mention of manufacturer, model and length on the registration papers? That's standard registration information here in the states. Just curious.....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #20

Name: Harold
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Jon, if you go to www.2cvclub.com you will see everything that was done with this lovely French automobile.
Hal Stufft is offline   Reply With Quote