I found my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I found my Scamp

I just put 80% down on a 2009 Scamp 16. I will pay off the rest in a couple of weeks and then go pick it up. I am JAZZED!

It is the floor plan 4 which I wouldn't have chosen but finding anything at all close enough to get at is TOUGH.

So I'm (almost) a scamp owner!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02509_1024x768.jpg   DSC02515_800x600.jpg  

DSC02516_800x600.jpg   DSC02517_800x600.jpg  

DSC02518_800x600.jpg  
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market for a Trillium 4500
Washington
We'd love to see pictures!!!!
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you John.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome John, Congrats on the find.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Alabama
I don't have possession of it yet. I have the photos from the ad which I will insert. However they are about 3 mb apiece so I assume I need to shrink them down before I do that.

OK, the photos are up there. I am wondering about the toilet. Older scamps' toilet is different, right? I don't think I have seen this kind in any pictures before.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Its kind of nice that the #4 layout preserves the big front bunk but still gives you a bathroom. Congrats, and be sure to post a photo of you with a big 'SCAMP' grin on your face when you pick her up!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You've got a great trailer there. I bet you can't wait to pick it up and start adding your own touches to make it your own. I love that floor plan.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Congrats, and be sure to post a photo of you with a big 'SCAMP' grin on your face when you pick her up!
I have had a big Scamp grin on my face since I sealed the deal!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #9

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I have had a big Scamp grin on my face since I sealed the deal!
Yay you!!!!
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

Alabama
I was supposed to pick up my scamp next weekend but got sent on business to Beaverton Wa. So I headed down to the Oregon gathering this weekend instead. I got to visit with dozens of owners and see all kinds of eggs. Very cool.

Huge thanks to Loyce and Tim for bringing a tent and sleeping bag for me.

It was a great time - if a tad cold.;-)

I only brought a light jacket.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #11

Hi John! it was nice to meet you

Now you know eggsactly how much fun you're going to have when you pick up your new-to-you rollin' home!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #12

Alabama
I need to meet that crazy lady

A funny story, I was walking around looking at the various eggs. I dropped in to a table at the back of one site and sat down next to this nice young lady. She flashed her name tag at me and said Hi, I'm Donna D. I thought nothing of it.

I proceeded to talk with everyone for probably an hour, when I said to Donna D. "I need to hunt down that lady with the funny hat". Donna just about fell off the bench laughing. She proceeded to tell me that I was talking to the lady with the funny hat.

Well folks, other than the hat, Donna looks Eggxactly like that picture!

Moral of the story, If Donna's there, she will not be hard to find, and she will look nothing like her avatar!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #13

yep fooled you John! I love being incognito.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Maybe somebody should make a hat for Donna D. like the one in her avatar. What do you say Donna? Would you wear it?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Maybe somebody should make a hat for Donna D. like the one in her avatar. What do you say Donna? Would you wear it?
I don't wear hats Byron... hat hair and all ya know
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #16

Alabama
I am back from Oregon and will fly up to Maine on Saturday to pick up my new (to me) TT and TV.

I will camp my way back down to NC and update this thread when I get back.

Tentative plan to drive from Maine to Hillsdale NY Saturday evening, spend Sunday with a client, then head on south.

Big anticipation, as this is my first time towing anything.

Any recommendations for campgrounds around Hillsdale?

Then recommendations for a route south from Hillsdale. I soooooo don't want to drive that 95 corridor through NY, NJ, PA etc. I have driven it several times without a tow and it generally just sucks.

I am planning on taking two driving days (Monday / Tuesday) to make that part of the drive, which is really only about an 11 hour drive no matter which way I go. So I really need touresty things to do to sop up the time. An of course campground recommendations around the 1/2 way point.

I've never been to Hershey, but that seems a little too touresty. My kids love it though.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #17

Name: Mark K
Trailer: Bigfoot 25FB
California
Registry
Gotta love it!
Mark Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #18

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
congrats JWCOLBY on the "new" purchase. I know you'll love it. The misses and I can't wait till Feb. to go the scamp gathering in Highlands Hammock here in Fla. We know we will meet bunches of new friends and hopefully alot of folks from this forum. Never can till. congrats again and I know you will love it.
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Avoiding I-95 traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Then recommendations for a route south from Hillsdale. I soooooo don't want to drive that 95 corridor through NY, NJ, PA etc. I have driven it several times without a tow and it generally just sucks.

I am planning on taking two driving days (Monday / Tuesday) to make that part of the drive, which is really only about an 11 hour drive no matter which way I go. So I really need touresty things to do to sop up the time. An of course campground recommendations around the 1/2 way point.

I've never been to Hershey, but that seems a little too touresty. My kids love it though.
I prefer floor plan 4 over our side dinette floor plan 6. It seems more open and roomy.
Can't help you much with the route in NJ and PA, but we just came back from DE and took the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel on our route from GA to DE. The bridge-tunnel toll was $12 solo, or $16 with a Scamp.
You could also pass through Cape May NJ and take the Cape May-Lewes ferry to get to DE and avoid I-95 in PA. The ferry with Scamp would probably be at least $50.

Coming back we tried a different route from DE, and headed toward DC, but turned South on 301 which bypasses DC and Fredericksburg (which always seemed to be the worst stretch for us) and rejoins I-95 just North of Richmond before the I-95/I-85 split. This was a pleasant drive which we will use in the future. The toll on the 301 bridge was $6 without a camper, or $12 with. You can get to 301 from Baltimore by taking I-97 to Rt 3.

I think you have to take 695 around Baltimore since you can't take LP through the tunnels.

The Dakota V8 is a great match for the Scamp 16.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #20

Alabama
The Dakota V8 is more truck than is required to pull the Scamp.

The Scamp had been sitting 50 feet from the ocean, closed up for about 15 months, and the door had leaked, allowing water into the interior.

I purchased the Scamp and the truck as it sat when the PO flew home without it (the PO had serious medical problems) so...

There were several items of bedding in the closet just inside thhe door, all soaking wet and mildewed, so the whole interior stank. I started hunting down anything made of cloth that could be thrown away and discarded it. Carpet, cushions and curtains are the only fabric items I did not throw away. I will wash the curtains. I guess I will just fabriz the cushions and carpets, although my mom is pushing vinegar spray for the odor. And we all know moms are often right.

Anyway, just getting rid of what I have, plus leaving all the windows open and the fan on made it at least bearable to be in. The smell is fading fast.

Likewise the exterior was a mess. It had sat under a tree for 15 months and was covered in gunk and mold. I found a fella that does detailing on the side and hired him to help me scrub down the outside. I didn't get it polished, but once cleaned the original gel coat still looks good.

I secured a camp host position at Crosswinds state park in Jordan Lake in Durham, so I towed it right in and set up Wed morning, and slept there last night.

I will be living in it full time starting pretty much now.

Fun stuff!

Tags
scamp