I have got the fever Scamp 16 or Casita 17 fever - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: None
Ohio
I have got the fever Scamp 16 or Casita 17 fever

Minneapolis based new forum member in search of the a nice used unit. Without rehashing a bunch of old topics, if anyone could find me a few older threads discussing:

1) How to purchase and what to avoid
2) Differences in models years each... any particular ones I should avoid
3) Ping me if you see one for sale.

I know both are good units, each have different selling features and either will suffice for what I need. Focusing on Mid 1990s or newer.

Looking forward to my buying process. ...... thanks for any and all input.
Tonkabaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, welcome to FiberglassRV

First thing is what weight can you tow? What layout is important to you? Bed size, number of beds, etc.

Have you downloaded the Buyer's Check List ?

Along with the member for sale forum here on FiberglassRV, be sure to check out: http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/ Using the pulldowns at the top, you can sort by brand.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Ohio
Hi Donna D.... and thanks. I have an Acadia and tow approximately 5,000lbs. I also have an old school Land Cruiser that is limited to 3500lbs.

Thanks for the tip on the checklist.... just downloaded it.

Had a feeling I might get asked the layout question... not quite sure yet. I plan to use on short trips. There are 4 of us with a dog, but not always traveling at once.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Mike. The site has a very nice search feature that can found on the upper right of this page just below Welcome. The second blank, the google search, is the one to use. It will keep you busy for a long time. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Mike, Welcome, glad you joined us!

Your towing cap is good, and will meet many travel trailers weights out there.
How far are you willing to drive to purchase your perfect trailer?
Are your kids lil or teens? Some bunk set ups are really for smaller children, But that being said there are bunk options out there. Just might be a little harder for find.

Unfortunately, as far as "models". As well as which brand to buy, your really gonna just have to look at all brands that might fit your needs ( bunk, etc) as they come up for sale......... In the used market it's hard to be really picky, unless your willing to spend lot's of time looking. Don't let that statement scare you, the perfect trailer might pop up for sale next week!

Finding a roadworthy, clean trailer that fits your needs will be the must haves. Then if you get really lucky, you will find the perfect trailer tomorrow,

Probably all brands have had some type of issue over the years. But lets be realistic, there are glass trailers 40+ years old out there still on the road. So if a particular issue is associated with a particular brand, it can be fixed. I personally wouldn't worry about that. What makes the biggest difference in the used market is how well it was cared for by the PO. Find what will work for you first, issues can be resolved in most cases with these little glass trailers.

Wishing you luck in your search, hope the perfect glass trailer finds it's way to you and your family soon. So you can get out there and start creating great memories........... Again, Welcome!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

Ohio
Hi Robin, Thanks for all the comments. Traveling for pickup will depend, albeit, one can always hire someone to tow it back if the price is right.

Kids are are young so the smaller beds will work.

Lastly, price. I forgot to mention. I am not opposed to spending more for a better unit if the unit warrants the price. Having said that, I would like to keep under $10K.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You've got the tow capacity for either; maybe a little close on the Land Cruiser. I think you've chosen the correct minimum length for 4+pooch. You're on the southeast edge of Scamp territory (within a long day's drive to factory) so you'll have more opportunities at used Scamps. Scamp and Casita are not clones but do share some construction features (horizontal join of molded halves, thru-hull fastening of cabinets and furniture). Some folks tout the glass bottom continuous with the lower hull of the Casita; could increase the longevity and structural integrity of the hull but you wouldn't notice while sleeping in it. Both have several floor plans out there on the used market, some of which will be a good match for what's currently available new, so don't discount scouting the factory sites for an idea of what to look for in used. Deferred maintenance and replacement of worn out running gear (axles, brakes, wheels and tires) is also something you don't notice while you sleep but very expensive to correct when you wake up.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

Ohio
Thanks again for the feedback. Backus,Mn is about a 3:30 hour drive. Been through there many times... perhaps a visit may be in order.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Casita 17' Side Dinette has a 54" wide bed in back
Scamp 16 Standard has 46" wide bed in back.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

The most common Casita is the 17' Spirit Deluxe, with a 4 place dinette at the back and a 2 place dinette at the side, and a relatively large bathroom up front. This makes a double bed in back and a single bed at the side; capacity is 3.

I think the most common Scamp 16' is Layout 4, with a 4 place dinette at the back, and a "sofa" up front, and a small bathroom at the side. This makes a double bed in back and bunk beds up front; capacity is 4. Scamp's Layout 6 is essentially the same as Casita's Spirit Deluxe.

Casita has an optional side "sofa" instead of a side dinette, increasing the capacity of the Spirit Deluxe to 4. Very rare on the used marked though.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We considered a Casita 17 but the extra weight of a Casita 17 would have required a tow vehicle upgrade. For some reason that extra foot adds a lot of weight with a lot of weight ending up on the tongue.

The typical Casita 17 has a tongue weight over 300 pounds and many reaching 400 and above.

I just noticed a little snoozy with the owner quoting a 390 pound tongue, very high for the 4 cylinder crowd.

An existing or planned tow vehicle is a big part of the trailer selection equation.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
We were looking for a 16' Scamp when we accidentally came across a 17' Casita which we had never heard of. Looked at it, liked it and paid more for it then we were planning and haven't looked back. We may of not needed a weight distribution hitch with the Scamp but we had to get one for the heavier Casita but we like the extra safety and security it gives us while towing. Would have been just as happy with a Deluxe Scamp as long as it had the bigger bed in the back. You'll probably have an better chance finding a Scamp with bunks that will sleep 4 much easier than finding a Casita that will sleep 4. Good Luck with your search!
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you havent already done so you may want to look at the Escape 17' as well. I have a Scamp 16' side bath and have been a number of Casita's. If I was starting out from scratch the Escape would be my first choose. Unfortunately when I was in the market it was almost impossible to find a used Escape on the market but that has changed since they started making a 19' and a number of 17' owners are trading up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #14

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
When you go look at it make sure you see everything work. Ask them to turn on fridge before you arrive so you can see its cold. Turn on propane and light stove. Have them hook up water and see everything work and check for leaks. If there's an awning have the open it and close it so you can see what condition it's in and if it opens and closes correctly.

I purchase a used Casita in the fall and failed to do any of the above. I'm in the middle of my first trip and I had to cut the awning and throw it away because I couldn't get it to close. I also have a leak in a pipe in the bath and am not using the water.

I also he'd to replace the rims because they were not the right ones. I put new tires on and had the bearings services which I expected to do. The rims and other things were a surprise.

Overall I'm happy with the camper and I'm in Florida instead if cold, snowy, New England plus I've really enjoyed the whole camping experience. I'm going to fix the water but not the awning.

If at all possible being someone who's familiar with campers when you go look at them.

Good luck in your search.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I just want to know which Cruiser you have?
I have an FJ80 now and have had a few different FJ40,I loves me some Cruisers!

I have also had both a 16' Scamp and 17' Casita and both are great.
They are more alike than different really and I would jump on the first one you look at that seems like it will fit your space needs,they do not last long in the used market ever!

Welcome and good luck.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp