I have no idea how you figure out which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Welcome Lisa,
I also have a Sprinter cargo van I plan to use for towing. I have lusted over Casitas, and Escapes, and I am within a year of retiring.

I have found one of the better ways to cope with the disease termed "Hitch Itch" is to watch youtube channels of RVers. There are plenty I don't care to emulate, but several that are quite inspiring.

Check out "Keep Your Daydream" with Marc & Tricia, along with their three kids. They are an attractive, funny, well spoken couple with great video production. However, they do tow a stick built trailer. They are inspiring because they set a goal, hit it, and have turned RVing into careers. They pick major landmarks to visit, then are spontaneous and adaptable around those. Most of us don't have to earn a living on the road, or raise 3 teenagers.

Another is the Long Long Honeymoon, featuring a couple that RV'd for 5 years, before transitioning to ocean sailing.

Enjoy.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Lisa.
how and where are you searching? I assume you are searching the ads here on fiberglassrv. Craigslist is often a good place to search. Do you have one of the national craigslist search programs? There are several but the one I know is Search Tempest.

As far as choice, as has been said that's a very individual thing. A 13' is fine for some solo campers but not all. A 16' or longer would work better if you think you may want company on some trips, or want to take a grandkid on occasion.

Good luck and be sure you let us know what you wind up with, with pictures of course.

Walt

Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
compulsive

I too am compulsive. I bought my Scamp in 2004. I didn't check on anything. I knew they were made locally by a family run business that was stable. That's it, here's my check. I can't see you going to a rally no matter what great that advice that is. Reading your post I can feel those things are too far away, too long away, and holy cow I may die next week! The most important thing is that it is cute to you. I can see all the old guys eyes rolling now, well I'm an old guy too. An old compulsive Guy. Have fun!
John
Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #18

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for the YouTube suggestions, I have been watching lots of them, but have missed those two referenced.

I am doing Craiglist searches, eBay (why not), RV Classifieds here.
I haven't done Search Tempest, I may look at that as an option too.

Need all the help I can get!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
I can't see you going to a rally no matter what great that advice that is. Reading your post I can feel those things are too far away, too long away, and holy cow I may die next week! The most important thing is that it is cute to you.
Finally, SOMEONE who gets me!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
It is about what features you need, then what features you want, and last about stuff you think wouldn't that be neat! That last one, shiny bells and whistles sucks in more buyers than it should.

Some folks do mostly weekends at local venues. Others do long trips, some are "tent" camping with amenities, while others want a towed motel room for visiting attractions or events. Then there is gear or personal amenities.

Want TV and a mini dish? Where do they travel and where do you put the TV? Cook inside? Want a microwave? Or boondock camp in the backwoods or desert where the TV and microwave are just a waste of space. If you are mostly going to museums or art fairs you might have different need for clothing and gear.

Bathroom with or without shower, or more space for "gear" and open space in the camper so you use restrooms in the park?

Bathroom - no bath, Bed size, how many it sleeps, Storage space, Cooking facilities are all things you can consider before even looking at a camper, then hit a rally (or two they are fun) to see how the different campers will meet those needs. In an overall size you feel like towing.

We camp, I'm in the process of taking the closet for hanging clothes and turning it into a pantry, I won't be needing "nice" clothes but I do like to cook and eat well when camping. Cook outside. Don't have a TV do have two kindles :-) Spend most of my time outside so a 13 ft. is fine. But I do have a really large tarp and two comfortable chairs.

What works for me would be useless for sister who likes to go site seeing and take older grandkids out for the weekend to places near water parks or festivals. She doesn't own an outdoor stove, while I don't know if the one inside works except that I test it once a year.

Snow birds have a whole different set of needs.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #21

California
Registry
Believe it or not, there's a part of me that would be happy just to have it parked in my driveway and sleep in it there.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #22

California
Registry
I'm chasing two different ones down right now!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #23

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Believe it or not, there's a part of me that would be happy just to have it parked in my driveway and sleep in it there.
I hear ya on that one...I don't have central air so that would be nice during the summer...and I would always have electricity and water available...and it would still feel like camping, or a backyard adventure......but nothing can beat being out at a beautiful campsite...and right now I have a small teardrop with just enough room for a queen mattress, as well as a rear clamshell galley, but I haven't even mad my first trip in it yet (I probably will before the end of August)...good luck in your search!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You might check out Happier Camper, a Los Angeles-based company that rents molded fiberglass trailers. Renting is a good way to try out a small camper and see how it works for you.

They also sell a unique small camper, the HC1.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #25

California
Registry
I hope to get a trip in before the end of August too.

Right now, I'm awaiting a reply from a Craigslist ad and I'm 4th in line for another one. Both happen to be Casita brands, which is fine. I like 'em all!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #26

California
Registry
The Happier Camper looks nice, but I think I need a few extra features.

I wish the Craigslist people would get back with me.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #27

Trailer: Winnebago sold, waiting on Escape 19
Virginia
Since you are going to be using the Sprinter for the tow, find out what your tow rating is and not only that but what you can tow safely. This will almost always require doing a good bit of research on how to arrive at a trailer and hitch weight that your vehicle won't have to struggle to manage. White knuckling it takes a lot of energy out of you when driving. Hitching up a trailer that is well within the towing capacity of your Sprinter will make the travels safer and more enjoyable.

Establish what your budget is going to be for the initial purchase, whether new or used. And like someone else said, leave a buffer for items you'll need initially. This may help narrow the field a bit more.

From there I would look at floor plans on the manufacturers web sites. That too can eliminate a lot.

If you can catch a rally, do that as others have said.

The first molded fiberglass trailer I encountered was a Casita and had they been the only manufacturer out there I would have gone with them and probably been very happy. After a lot of research, I ended up ordering an Escape 19 because having a full size queen bed and a separate eating area was a higher priority.

Had my tow had a higher capacity and had I been willing to sink more $$ into a camper, I may have more seriously considered the larger Big Foot and Oliver trailers.

Last thing. I've really enjoyed the YouTube videos by The Willful Wanderer. He's got a 16' Casita and has put a lot of miles on it.

Good luck and let patience be your friend.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #28

Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Welcome

Lisa, welcome to the forums. Like you I was ready to buy in a hurry but I did a lot research and went to a couple rallies. I decided to buy new because of such high resale and availability on the used ones. Well needless to say I was disappointed with the quality out of the factory. A disclaimer, I am picky and like show quality, that's why I usually buy new. Pick a model that suits you (and budget) but also consider the resale in your area. I picked a Casita for many many reasons but now considering an Oliver.