Which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #21

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Believe it or not, there's a part of me that would be happy just to have it parked in my driveway and sleep in it there.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #22

California
Registry
I'm chasing two different ones down right now!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #23

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Believe it or not, there's a part of me that would be happy just to have it parked in my driveway and sleep in it there.
I hear ya on that one...I don't have central air so that would be nice during the summer...and I would always have electricity and water available...and it would still feel like camping, or a backyard adventure......but nothing can beat being out at a beautiful campsite...and right now I have a small teardrop with just enough room for a queen mattress, as well as a rear clamshell galley, but I haven't even mad my first trip in it yet (I probably will before the end of August)...good luck in your search!
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You might check out Happier Camper, a Los Angeles-based company that rents molded fiberglass trailers. Renting is a good way to try out a small camper and see how it works for you.

They also sell a unique small camper, the HC1.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #25

California
Registry
I hope to get a trip in before the end of August too.

Right now, I'm awaiting a reply from a Craigslist ad and I'm 4th in line for another one. Both happen to be Casita brands, which is fine. I like 'em all!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #26

California
Registry
The Happier Camper looks nice, but I think I need a few extra features.

I wish the Craigslist people would get back with me.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Winnebago sold, waiting on Escape 19
Virginia
Since you are going to be using the Sprinter for the tow, find out what your tow rating is and not only that but what you can tow safely. This will almost always require doing a good bit of research on how to arrive at a trailer and hitch weight that your vehicle won't have to struggle to manage. White knuckling it takes a lot of energy out of you when driving. Hitching up a trailer that is well within the towing capacity of your Sprinter will make the travels safer and more enjoyable.

Establish what your budget is going to be for the initial purchase, whether new or used. And like someone else said, leave a buffer for items you'll need initially. This may help narrow the field a bit more.

From there I would look at floor plans on the manufacturers web sites. That too can eliminate a lot.

If you can catch a rally, do that as others have said.

The first molded fiberglass trailer I encountered was a Casita and had they been the only manufacturer out there I would have gone with them and probably been very happy. After a lot of research, I ended up ordering an Escape 19 because having a full size queen bed and a separate eating area was a higher priority.

Had my tow had a higher capacity and had I been willing to sink more $$ into a camper, I may have more seriously considered the larger Big Foot and Oliver trailers.

Last thing. I've really enjoyed the YouTube videos by The Willful Wanderer. He's got a 16' Casita and has put a lot of miles on it.

Good luck and let patience be your friend.
John Pendergraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #28

Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Welcome

Lisa, welcome to the forums. Like you I was ready to buy in a hurry but I did a lot research and went to a couple rallies. I decided to buy new because of such high resale and availability on the used ones. Well needless to say I was disappointed with the quality out of the factory. A disclaimer, I am picky and like show quality, that's why I usually buy new. Pick a model that suits you (and budget) but also consider the resale in your area. I picked a Casita for many many reasons but now considering an Oliver.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #29

California
Registry
Thank you both for your replies.

I do like the Oliver and Escape...but it would be a long wait to find either in the used marketplace.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #30

Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Oliver's due pop up around here (NC) about every month or two. Sometimes the factory has one extra, they did back in May at the rally they came to in Georgia. Be patient, they are out there, just may have to travel to get one.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #31

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Of course there is the option of having your van converted into a camper. Assuming you don't need the back area for passengers or big loads of cargo. There are companies as well as individuals around that specialize in converting Sprinter vans into campers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #32

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Lisa, GREAT recommendations here! I read several forums re fiberglass trailers,
there are quite a few. Might I suggest you look at several that represent your choices? Scamp, SOI, Casitatrailer forums, Casita club forums. These are the ones I look at daily. Most rallies show up here, FT, but some get more traction on the specific trailer forums.
Unless your funds allow you to buy ANY trailer brand you find, it might be good to start to whittle down your choices. If you are set on a used trailer, be warned they go FAST. Usually the same day they are offered for sale. Have cash ready and be able to drive to see the offering, or have a trusted friend or relative look for you. Generally, if you don't bite quickly someone else will.
Look at the manufacturers web sites, even if you can't wait for a new one, the wait is about 6 months in a lot of cases.
Before we ordered, we drove to as many camp grounds as possible. Park and walk through all the trailers, you may see a fiberglass or three. If the owners are outside, introduce yourself, you might just get an invite.
Pictures are great but nothing like walking in one to get the FEEL of that brand.
Good luck on your search and happy forthcoming retirement.

Mark
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #33

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Do your research, more research and then more research. Like was mentioned above, check your auto manual to see what your SAFE towing capacity and tongue weight capacity is.

Check out the Escape forum if you are seriously thinking about one. There are several for sale on the west coast. We have a Casita SD 17 foot and love it. Thought we would need more room and looked into the Escape 5.0 TA. They are well built and if buying new have lots of options and custom work available. Great exchange rate right now too. Just a long wait. We decided to keep our Casita because it has everything we need for now.

Also get on and check the other egg forums....lots of great information on them. Most also have a 'for sale' area to check into.

good luck on your search.
jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #34

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Wouldn't you just fall in love with something that's harder to buy than average? If you loved the Jaycos, you could waltz right in any old day and grab one. There's your check, let's get you hooked up!

We got fiberglass fever ourselves in August of 2015; took us only a few weeks until we had located one only one state away, drove down and bought it, dragged it home and then discovered we had to totally gut it and redo it...

Nine months later our baby "Peanut" was done and we began camping July 3, 2016.

I hope you have an easier find than that!

Happy hunting. We "fell in love" with the amerigo lay-out, a side settee/twin bed, a back-end settee/bed, a folding, portable table, a VERY simple galley (microwave and storage), a front-end "Putin" (porta-potty & storage closet)...lightweight, (under 2200 pounds filled for camping), and we were able to do every bit of the redo to suit ourselves, considering that we loved the basic layout. We didn't really move anything, but we did narrow the galley and made both beds into non-gaucho styles, just permanent spots with storage room underneath for ice chest, food bin, and plastic barrel liner doggy nest.

So far it's good for us. It's over 90 here today, and Paul is out in Peanut, little portable fan blowing on him, Fan-Tastic-Vent fan sucking the heat out of the top, reading. He loves sitting in it out in the driveway. With the window in the rock shield (lexan) that we added, whether it's closed or open, he can watch the world go by. So we sure do hear you about wanting to just sleep in it in your driveway!

Getting fiberglass fever seems to be something you just catch...and you can't throw it off until you own one, seems like.

Best luck! We paid a premium to get this trailer...we probably wouldn't like it as much if it had all the appliances. We like it SIMPLE. For us, an ice chest, a microwave, and bottles of water is simple. We've been through almost every camping configuration/doodad/rig there is, and so far this suits us best.

Hippies at heart, I guess. TRY to find one that has the most important things for you--TRY to make a good list and sleep on that list. Decide what's NOT negotiable--for us, it was the two beds, separated enough for each to have a little privacy, AND a porta-potty with a dedicated place for it to "live." We HAD to have those things. HAD TO. Optional were fridge and range...Did NOT want a water tank in a 40-year old rig--we saw too clearly what an older tank can look like with our old van...and that was much younger than Peanut.

I really didn't want propane, although if you do, then make darn sure it's present--or be prepared to add it and do it right.

We have a privacy pop-up tent and a bucket system for bathing/showering...but maybe you NEED a wet bath inside? Maybe you need a WIDE bed? We can do with narrow beds, but we needed them to be separate, with some kind of barrier between (central shelf closet and our rigged-up curtaining) because I read into the wee hours and he needs to be away from the light.

Don't buy before you've settled in your mind exactly what you MUST have and what you MUST NOT have. At least make a serious effort at that list!

BESt
Kai
Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I see the problem here a bit differently than most people. The problem is you're in love with the idea, but no experience to draw on the make good decisions. I suggest that you find a local place that will rent small trailer, probably not molded fiberglass, and try a few days camping one. You might not even like it, but you'll be able to make a better decision on what would please you.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #36

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Byron, excellent point. Wish I'd have made it! I often have, here on FGRV...we have at least one person and maybe more right nearby (well, 20 miles) who rent the little Scamp 13s...a perfect chance to find out if you like it.

For us--one look inside a for-sale Scamp told us those 13'-ers were too small for us. I am size-enhanced, and we have two wiggly dogs.

Getting into the trailers IS the first, best step. We looked at Jaycos and were horrified...dark brown interiors, fold outs, flip outs, 24" deep countertops with full-sized appliances, scratch upholstery...thin upholstery! And the weight of those things! 4500 and 6500 ounds for featherlites? Nonsense!

Wi-Fis, TVs, built in exterior music players, control panels, switches, doo-dads, wires, stuff I don't know what it's called or what it does...

We realized we needed SIMPLE. Vintage old stuff, that I can understand!

Well, we sure got that.

Anyway, Byron, I agree 100%. She should do her darndest to get herself INTO one of these for a look-see. Don't be ashamed to sit and spend a little itme inside, too, and if at all possible, rent--even if it's a regular trailer...figure out exactly what pleases and what bugs her!

K
Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #37

California
Registry
Thank you all for such great information!

I just got back from looking at a Scamp and a Casita at a consignment RV place. Loved 'em both.

I do need my Sprinter for hauling Vespa scooters, my other love....so I wasn't looking to convert it, although there is a murphy style bed in there.

I shouldn't have looked at the Oliver website, because those are appealing to me.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Being a close by neighbor we attended a number if the lake casitas rallies
Great group of folks and everyone was willing to show you theirs
We actually bought a casitas from someone that was attending
After owning a scamp/a perris pacer and a compact
Guess i love them all
I agree go look / sit in and examine as many as possible as they all have merits
But a rally is a great starting point
In fact at last yrs rally at lk casitas the happy trailer guys brought one just to show it off
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #39

California
Registry
I think I will have one in my driveway before any of the next rallies occur.
I'm impulsive like that.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
What happen to many RVs

Many RV end up sitting for years in storage lot. Neglected and rotting away. I believe mostly because the fantasy romance of owning an RV then not liking the experience of actually living for only a week-end in one. Furthermore I think that many people that do not use their RV more than once or twice on a week-end every 3rd or 4th year. Since it's not used much it takes a lot of work to get it ready to use which isn't worth the effort to many people.

Good luck with your purchase.