I have no idea how you figure out which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #57

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If I don't get any leads on parts this weekend, I'll call Scamp on Monday and order them.

I think the person selling may have had some lookers and not buyers, so we agreed that $4k would be agreeable to us both.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #58

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopwagon View Post
Any sagging carpet issues can be handled witha large syringe and rubber cement! Good pick&bartering!
I do have some sagging carpet issues..but the prior owner did a quick fix, not sure it will last, seems a bit loose to me. Thank you for the tip!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #59

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
No trouble at all welcome to the hardshell community 😊
Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #60

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
By the way, you have answered your question about how to know which trailer to buy. Answer: buy the first one you can find, provided the price and condition are agreeable!
Yep, in fact this is the first trailer I ever looked at and 2 days later I went back and bought it.
Chased down a 17' Casita, he didn't have the title.
Chased down a different Scamp, price wasn't something I could afford.

Went back to the first trailer I ever stepped in. Thankfully, I think the wait helped the price go down, so that was a bonus especially since I have to put a little money into it.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #61

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Looks like you may have purchased a 16' not a 13'. Measure from ball to bumper not front of hull to back an see if you scored a larger one than you thought.
I did the same on my UHaul VT. Seller. Thought it was a 13' and I didn't know any better. ended up with 1 of only 59 made.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #62

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Looks like you may have purchased a 16' not a 13'. Measure from ball to bumper not front of hull to back an see if you scored a larger one than you thought.
I did the same on my UHaul VT. Seller. Thought it was a 13' and I didn't know any better. ended up with 1 of only 59 made.
That's a great tip! I did get a 13' though, I just did the measurement as you outlined above.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #63

Name: Debra
Trailer: In the market
Michigan
I Understand

I've been doing a lot of intense research for almost a year. Let me first say that there is NO perfect trailer, so you need to do a lot of soul searching to find the one closest to your perfect trailer.

Start with what you MUST HAVE (include your systems items, like holding tanks, water heater, jacks, etc., too), then add what you'd LIKE TO HAVE, then subtract what your budget and/or tow vehicle won't allow from your LIKE TO HAVE list. I started a spreadsheet/check list with those specs and kept track of what each manufacturer had, so I was able to narrow it down quite a lot, eliminating those which were missing anything from my MUST HAVE list. For example (ironically, since I don't like to cook), my MUST HAVE list includes a decent kitchen with some counter space for toaster and blender, a microwave, and a 5 cu. ft. or larger fridge. Those kitchen requirement, alone, eliminated A LOT of the campers.

I have a GMC Canyon, which has a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. That limitation also eliminated a lot of campers - the ones over 3,200 lbs.

I want to camp in national parks, state parks, and BLM land 90% of the time. That elimnated a lot of campers, as well, since they were set up for RV parks. That also added to my MUST HAVE list (for example: must at least have solar prep and decent-sized fresh water tank).

All of those things have narrowed my search considerably, so I hope that helps you some.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #64

Michigan
Smile

Rallies are a great idea, but, if you can't go to one, check out your local RV dealers, too. At least you can get inside them and 'test' them out, like sitting on the toilet and imagining you're doing your business, or standing in the shower and miming your bathing routine, or laying on the bed and taking note of your bedside needs (mine is a glass of water and a C-Pap machine, so I need a shelf with a nearby electrical plug).
Old 08-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #65

Michigan
Thumbs up

Congratulations, Lisa! Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #66

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra_VS View Post
All of those things have narrowed my search considerably, so I hope that helps you some.
I enjoyed reading your input.
As you saw, I did get a 13' Scamp. Being a newbie to trailer camping, I really couldn't figure out what I must have, so I was eager to just get something and then decide from there.

I have taken one overnighter so far. Since it was in a campground, the lack of toilet wasn't an issue.

I have an Engel fridge in my tow vehicle, so the small fridge in the Scamp is fine.

I sure love towing only 13' during my newbie stage, and that may change later.

Things I didn't know about before purchasing are:
1) Propane, 12v and 110
2) Fresh Water
3) Grey water and the storage tank for it
4) Tow capacity
5) 4 flat connector vs 7 round
6) electric brakes - aren't needed for my tow vehicle at this time
7) Deploy an awning
8) Cleaning/polishing fiberglass
9) attaching/detaching from tow vehicle
10) backing into a non pull-through campsite
11) remove and install rivets

Pretty much everything has been a learning curve for me with this Scamp and I'm loving it!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #67

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Visiting a dealer will be educational. But, shopping at dealers won't find many molded fiberglass trailers, only stick-built trailers. The difference is that stick built trailers drop about 1/3rd in value as you drive one off the lot. The reason is that as you drive a stick built over the curb, the bump shakes it apart. In a rainstorm you will discover that stick built trailers have more in common with tents. Stick builts are like buying a wooden boat. Me? I'm undecided.

Parkliner is sold through a dealer network. The other fiberglass makers sell factory direct because they can't meet the demand.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #68

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Parkliner is sold through a dealer network. The other fiberglass makers sell factory direct because they can't meet the demand.
Most generally the reason for factory direct is because the trailer is being custom built to the buyers specifications. Kinda like the difference between ordering a motor vehicle from the factory or buying one off a dealers lot.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #69

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
It's not really about demand, at least with my particular trailer brand. The owners of Escape for example have specifically stated on their website why they don't sell via dealers:

In 2006 we tried selling through a dealer network, but struggled with the lack of interaction with our customers. It did not allow us to follow our business model. So we closed down for six months, worked on the design and introduction of our Escape 5.0 Fifthwheel, and returned to direct sales.

As Donna mentioned, these aren't "stock" trailers, but built to customer specs. You simply can't do that via a dealer network and expect to have adequate communication and contact with your customers.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #70

California
Registry
Ready for camping!
Drain outlet installed:[/url]
New water tank installed:
[/url]
New electrical outlet installed:
[/url]
Frame around escape hatch installed: