Which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #81

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What's great about having this first (possibly only) Scamp is that I am learning my must haves with it.

First thing I enjoy is the 12V battery. Seems it comes in handy when running the interior lights, that are now LED, and my #2 must have, the fantastic fan.

I've owned the Scamp just under 2 months now and since I'm in So. Calif. I am thankful that it has a fantastic fan. These have been a couple of warm months. I find that no matter where I am, home, or at the beach or in the mountains I have enjoyed having some air circulating.

I don't know if these come with propane automatically or if that's something you add when purchasing, but that would be my third, must have. I find that I cook inside the trailer and I have enjoyed the ease of turning on the propane and cooking with the stove.

The next option I have enjoyed is the sofa. Since I keep the dining table in the bed configuration quite often, the sofa has been a nice place to sit and do some journaling. I think I may modify my sofa to a front dinette, so I get the sofa-type experience, but also the table for convenience while not having to switch out the main bed each morning. It's mainly a nuisance since I added 4 inches of memory foam onto it.

I bought a Laveo dry flush toilet that I put in my van, it is working for me at this time since I don't have any black tanks in my Scamp.
https://dry-flush.com
I like it and it works for a person who is squeamish about that type of thing.

That's my update for now. At this time 13' is still working out well for us.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #82

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
what to buy and how to buy neweeeee

lisa first of all you need to consider your tv towing vehicle first then here are the major brands Scamp, Casita there are others check their weights Casitas run heavy.

Figure out what length in our case we chose a 13f why because we spend most of our time outside, we are not motel on wheels you know the 70k rigs good for you if that is what you want.

Money is a big concern for us so we buy used we paid 5k for our Scamp and although its not in perfect condition its perfect for us. when I scratch it or ding it I just go on no big deal!

How to find the perfect rig for you? After learning all you can via the net you can do this and deciding what you want the fun begins. I am a Craiglist guy so I do a search in 4 surrounding states be prepared to drive some. Now remember these are elusive so you have to decide how much you are willing to spend you need to have that in cash sellers will not take c/cs nor personal checks even M/Os today. Too much phoney stuff going on believe me!

Ok you have your decision made on your model, you have found something you may like, you have done your studying up you have your cash on hand oh you do have a hitch on your car right? so when the rig shows up you call the seller, ask some pertinent questions about it, I don't know I have always been able to detect honesty in a person.

OK now you think you have it nailed but remember there are other buyers up to the same thing you are so what next? To show sincerity you say sir I want your rig how about a 250.00 deposit i can send it us mail or by paypal you know what that is right and have a pap pal account. You say what would you prefer to hold this for 3 or 4 days and I will bring cash for the rest.

You arrive to give it a final look over you get the title, you hand over the money and off you go a very happy buyer and camper owner. Now remember you gave him a 250.00 deposit so too late to worm out of it unless he has really overstated things.

I have carried as much as 25k for something I found believe me a 25k deal on Craigslist is cash only! I will not fly with that kind of money I just bought a car buyer wanted cash I said no way I have heard too many stories of cash being seized at checkin I m not risking that! I gave him my bank to call and the vp at the bank!

I am 76 years old I have bought and sold many things either Craigslist or Ebay I have found only one person not on the up and up and I have been at this 30 years. Yes buyer beware do your diligence and best of luck to you!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #83

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
lisa first of all you need to consider your tv towing vehicle

Hey you who didn't read the full thread... ... having fun with you, I don't do that either sometimes.

I did buy a 13 footer. Paid $4,000 for it. It's the layout #1, front couch/bunk beds.

I think the good news is that my tow vehicle is rated for 5,000 pounds so the 13 does fine, only drawback is that in the back of my mind I think, gee, that Sprinter (tow vehicle) will also tow a 16 footer. Though for now, I love my first (possibly only) Scamp.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #84

Missouri
Lisa I can take fun I can take about anything I was just giving you my way of doin things and apparently you rock the same way. You paid 4k for yours so I paid too much I will have a bad day today thinking about that 1k in hard earned money.

I am starting to get some pictures of Stevie when done I will post them I think I can do that if not someone will let me know again no offence taken from anyone!

I don't know about you but this Scampin thing is just plain fun! we are off next week for a 3 day trouting trip it will be our last for this year unless I head up to Virginia for some!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #85

Missouri
Lisa we are also big boonedockers you know the term we pride ourselves on saving money thus we stay at the walmarts a lot. we stay at state parks in the tenting section more our type people again that just us as we tented for 41 years every state and Europe 4 times. at 75 I have to get my health better I want to go back again not with the scamp of course.

As you run your scamp you will learn so many things and if you have a question blast away I will help. just have fun out there!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #86

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Lisa I can take fun I can take about anything
Whew! Glad you can, because I got worried that I offended you as I was poking fun at ya after I clicked the send button.

Noooo don't feel badly about that extra 1K you spent. Mine is a 1992 and does have an issue or two. I have a short in my 12volt wire somewhere and there was some fiberglass damage in the wheel well where the former owner had a tire blowout. I'd have happily paid more if mine didn't have those.

Yes, I agree these are fun!!!!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #87

Missouri
Liza thanks for your reply do you have someone handy do you know an electrian friend? I suggest you learn where you innards are on your camper my converter is in the back corner right side under the bed. did you know that?

you need to learn also get yourself one of those free multimeters at H/F and study how that meter works it will become your friend I use mine all the time to track down things. you sound real handy.

Our Stevie what can I say its not perfect but nothing major like you have listed maybe I got a good deal after all. Ha ha who knows.

Keep posting keep having fun I am here to help if I can!

bob
Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #88

California
Registry
It's been a little over a year since ownership and I thought it was time for an update.
During the year we went on 8 camping trips. Enjoyed every one of them.
All trips so far have been in Calif. and Arizona.

Have used the Scamp as a guest room several times!

One of the most surprising facts is just how many people have stopped by to ask if it is for sale. One person left a note on my fence the other day with their phone number wanting to buy.

During the year of ownership, I have come very close to buying a 16' Scamp (three times), but I just couldn't convince myself that it would be better for our needs at this time.

Here she is in the driveway:
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #89

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Hey, Glad its still working out for you.

Its so tempting to want to go bigger we feel it when we go out in our 13 footer. But I don't like the claustrophobic feeling of having the bathroom in the little trailer. You get an extra 3 feet but nothing for it. Maybe in a wetter location I would feel different. The 2 of us fits like a chicken in the egg, just right. Plus parking in the driveway just makes it so right.

If I hit the lotto then I would buy a brandy new Escape. But until then I hope to be happy with what I have.

Are you going to the Lake Casitas rally at the end of the month?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #90

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
BASS location is full, but I did just get Oct. 24th-26th, so I'll see a little of the rally folks.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #91

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
BASS location is full, but I did just get Oct. 24th-26th, so I'll see a little of the rally folks.
I am in B6 Lesley and Steve.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #92

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good to hear from you again, Lisa. Glad to hear you've been busy Scamping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #93

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Hey, Glad its still working out for you.

Its so tempting to want to go bigger we feel it when we go out in our 13 footer. But I don't like the claustrophobic feeling of having the bathroom in the little trailer. You get an extra 3 feet but nothing for it. Maybe in a wetter location I would feel different. The 2 of us fits like a chicken in the egg, just right. Plus parking in the driveway just makes it so right.

If I hit the lotto then I would buy a brandy new Escape. But until then I hope to be happy with what I have.

When would I expect to be tempted to want a bigger trailer? I've only had my Scamp13 for 14years now. I am not yet even "tempted to want" a large trailer.
Your point ..."Its so tempting to want to go bigger"... is wise and well taken.

It is a rare insight to understand that a person can actually control what is "wanted" or desired. That is one of the true keys to contentment.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #94

California
Registry
Well it's coming up on my 3 year anniversary of egg ownership.
I have enjoyed the adventure, so much so, that I ended up buying another, then another. I realize I have a one-a-year average, hopefully next year I don't make an update with another in the driveway.

My first and most sentimental is the 13' Scamp Standard:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-calimesa-ca

I ended up getting upgrade fever and wanted a few luxuries when traveling like A/C, heat, shower, etc. so I bought this 17' Casita:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...”-sale-0

A couple of weeks after buying the Casita a 16' Scamp Deluxe came up for sale and I always loved those birch cabinets that Scamp makes so although I had just bought the Casita, I didn't want to pass this up. I told myself I would let one of them go once I figured out which one could go, well at this time they're all staying. I'm allowing myself to enjoy them guilt-free:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-la-habra-ca
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.41.30 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.41.09 AM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.40.51 AM.jpg  
Old 07-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #95

Name: KC
Trailer: shopping
Alaska
Quote:
I have enjoyed the adventure, so much so, that I ended up buying another, then another. I realize I have a one-a-year average, hopefully next year I don't make an update with another in the driveway.
Wow! I love your update and enthusiasm, Lisa. I'm in the initial stages of the research process, and buying a trailer (used or new) has now become my little obsession. Just skimmed through this thread, and love it! I can't believe you have 3, and all in the span of 3 years!!!
nerak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #96

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerak31 View Post
I can't believe you have 3, and all in the span of 3 years!!!
It was a labor of love!
Best to you with your search.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #97

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:

My first and most sentimental is the 13' Scamp Standard:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-calimesa-ca

I ended up getting upgrade fever and wanted a few luxuries when traveling like A/C, heat, shower, etc. so I bought this 17' Casita:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-gypsy”-sale-0

A couple of weeks after buying the Casita a 16' Scamp Deluxe came up for sale and I always loved those birch cabinets that Scamp makes so although I had just bought the Casita, I didn't want to pass this up. I told myself I would let one of them go once I figured out which one could go, well at this time they're all staying. I'm allowing myself to enjoy them guilt-free:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-la-habra-ca
How do you decide which one to take? Especially between the Scamp 16 and the Casita? Choices, choices, choices . . . You are a lucky girl!!
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #98

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpscampi View Post
How do you decide which one to take?
That's exactly what I was wondering at first. But I've problem solved by using this rule:

If I'm going to be boon docking it will be the Casita. It has 200 watts of solar on the roof, a Honda generator as well as the lift kit, shock kit, larger fresh water tank.

If I'm going full hook-up for just a weekend, it's the 13' Scamp.

If I'm going full hook-up for an extended amount of time it'll be the 16' Scamp.

I did break the rule on my last trip and took the Casita because even though I was on full hook-up, I had never taken the Casita out before and wanted to try it.

Technically I could take any trailer for any outing mentioned above, but I have to justify them somehow.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #99

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is a rare insight to understand that a person can actually control what is "wanted" or desired. That is one of the true keys to contentment.
When I feel the temptation to “go large” coming on, I wash and wax my 13’ Scamp. It’s a full day’s work that leaves my back and shoulders aching for several days.

It’s a win-win. The temptation abates, and I fall in love with my 13’er all over again.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #100

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Well well well

now we know why it’s so hard to find a trailer..... someone is a hoarder lol

I only wish I had the space .... as i have a similar hobby.... my wife calls it an addiction
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote