I love 2ND gen Toyota's! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Currently purchasing
Oregon
I love 2ND gen Toyota's!

Hello,
I'm John from the Willamette valley of Oregon.
I'm flying out Friday to pickup a 1986 4x4 Toyota Sunrader. A proud owner of a fiberglass motorhome to be
Happy to have found this site!
ToyotaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, John!

This forum is about all-molded fiberglass towables, but there are some here with knowledge and experience with the old Toyota motorhomes. I believe there is another forum dedicated to the breed. Sadly, one of our most knowledgeable passed away recently, but if you do a search on "Sunrader" you should turn up some of his posts.

But we have much in common, and you will find plenty of information here on the RV side of things. You are certainly welcome to hang out with us.

Happy travels in your new rig!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
An 86 4x4 Toyota was my favorite Toyota truck to date (I've had 7 of them), and Sunraders are definitely my favorite Toyota Rv. I hope it works well for you.

Those 4x4 Sunraders are rare! This is where you'll want to go, if you haven't found it already: toyotamotorhome.org

I had one of these (Chinook). 4x4 would have been great...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3366.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	93461
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have often wondered about these things. Do they have enough power to climb mountains out west? What about coming down those mountains, and brake fade. Are they not slung too low to the ground to take "two rut" roads? I am not trying to be a smart butt, just have always wondered.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Currently purchasing
Oregon
Your answer is no, they do not have but barely enough power to climb. Brakes are not much of a problem. Yes they have adequate ground clearance, more than most all other motorhomes.
I've owned at least 30 Toyota'so over the years and I know all kind of tricks to really make these rigs work. Regearing helps torque and power, there are some serious brake upgrades that can be done, along with lift kits for better clearances if needed. The very best part is that they Toyota and are very economical to maintain. With little care and maintenance they can conceivably last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Especially if your wrench handy
ToyotaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Montana
I took my Chinook over Vail Pass in Co (7000'). I took it over Tioga Pass in Yosemite. I took it over the North Cascades National Park. Every pass from Montana down to Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington and back to Montana then to Minnesota and back.

If they're in good running condition, it's not much different than taking any old 4 cylinder Toyota pickup over a pass. 3rd gear, 45mph.

Clearance is an issue, but would be less with his 4x4. I took my Chinook (2wd) down all sorts of roads. I've posted these here before but I'll do it again cause it's fun

Name:	IMG_3398.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	93470 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3372.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	93471 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	93472

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	93474 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	93475

Obviously having some previous 4x4 experience helps. You've got to know how much clearance and traction you have, and be able to see if an approach or departure angle is going to "get you". Like here.

Name:	IMG_2127.jpg
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	93473
Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I wish they still made these Toyota motor homes. They would sell well if they reappeared in the marketplace!!! I'd buy one in a New York minute!!!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
An 86 4x4 Toyota was my favorite Toyota truck to date (I've had 7 of them), and Sunraders are definitely my favorite Toyota Rv. I hope it works well for you.

Those 4x4 Sunraders are rare! This is where you'll want to go, if you haven't found it already: toyotamotorhome.org

I had one of these (Chinook). 4x4 would have been great...

Attachment 93461
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZachO: Are you The Zach from the Yahoo Toyota Chinook group ? Some knowledable guys and gals on that group. I had 2 diff Toyo Chinooks back when they were relatively new and yes, I would by a 'new' 1976 Chinook if I had the chance ! David ( zukiman) in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #9

Montana
Yep that's me. I retired from that group, then about a year later sold the Chinook.

Great! Yeah I love them. I'm having to be a bit more practical right now but I still have thoughts of buying one and transplanting it onto a Tacoma...
Old 03-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yep that's me. I retired from that group, then about a year later sold the Chinook.

Great! Yeah I love them. I'm having to be a bit more practical right now but I still have thoughts of buying one and transplanting it onto a Tacoma...
__________________________________________________ ____________

ZachO, last week I drove from Fresno to Salida, CA with a $5,000 cashier's check and some cash to look at a nice looking fiberglas Toyota Sunraider. It had been the man's grandparents and looked nice in the photos. Alas, it was not so nice up close, though not bad, so I did not buy it. You would have liked it. And I know where a Toyota Chinook body (only) is stored, but I'm not tellin' ! The owner says he is going to use it to make molds for new bodies, then the original will be for sale. Keep in touch, drop by if in the Fresno or Sonora area. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #11

Montana
Nice. I like that someone is thinking of making molds! But yeah...that original will be cheaper, I'm sure.

Thanks Dave. My traveling has slowed down as my savings runs out and I actually have to figure out what to do for work, and how much of it...but I hope to make some trips in the future.

I was very close to buying a Sunrader before deciding on a truck/trailer combo...