I took the plunge!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Name: B Jo Ann
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Smile I took the plunge!!!

Hello to all - very good to be here.

My name is Jo Ann and I live in Kalamazoo, MI. I purchased a 1984 16’ Scamp w/ the side bath one month ago today. And I’ve been lurking on these forums for a couple months now. Will post a few pics of the Scamp. I’m planning a fairly extensive renovation: replace axel & brakes, caulk & paint ensolite lining, replace most all appliances, repair/upgrade wet bath & plumbing and electrical, add solar, re-upholstery and re-decorate and generally make it my own. My T.V. is a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

The Scamp seems to be in fairly good condition for a trailer that’s 34 years old. It appears to have been stored inside, though it is dusty and needs a good deep cleaning. There is evidence some PO attempted to renovate earlier, leaving drill marks where none should be. I’ll learn to work with fiberglass and bondo to repair.

Want to say in advance, thanks for the great counsel and advice offered by the members of these forums. You have been a bounty of wisdom and experience already!!

Looking forward to collaboration along the journey and hopefully our meetings face-to-face in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0035.jpg   IMG_0041.jpg  

IMG_0037.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg  

IMG_0128.jpg   IMG_0045.jpg  

IMG_0049.jpg  
bamundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum Jo Ann! It appears you found a vintage Scamp that's fairly original, un-altered, but also in good shape. Good luck with your renovation and hope to see you camping!

We have a son now working in Kalamazoo, so we've been getting out that way frequently. Camped in your very nice little city park (Markin Glen) for a few days last year with full hookups!

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

Michigan
thanks John!

Markin Glenn is actually just 2 miles from my house!! send a message when you next come and we can meet face-to-face

with anticipation!!
- jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Welcome to the forum Jo Ann! It appears you found a vintage Scamp that's fairly original, un-altered, but also in good shape. Good luck with your renovation and hope to see you camping!

We have a son now working in Kalamazoo, so we've been getting out that way frequently. Camped in your very nice little city park (Markin Glen) for a few days last year with full hookups!

-John
Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
You got a real classic there and in great shape. Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you at one of the rallies up in Lake Linden or Algonac some day!

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome B Jo Ann! I'm sure you'll have many adventures in your new to you Scamp!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Very, very nice condition trailer you have there for sure! Is that last picture in your storage area? If so, what a terrific garage, that will make project work so much easier!

Its a tribute to Scamp and the former owner as well that a 34 year old trailer can survive in such nice condition.

I like the side bath 16 like yours as you end up with large windows front and rear.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #7

Michigan
Updates

Hello again new friends. Jo Ann here.

I picked up Ufudo (my scamps chosen name) from the welder yesterday. I purchased a replacement axle from Scamp Trailers and found a great local welder.

You can see in the photo the trailer was riding pretty low and a slightly worn rub spot had created a hole in the top of the wheel well on the passenger side. I was not sure how much lift / height would be gained from a new axle but it seemed important enough to me to make the investment.

While Ufudo was in the air, I thought I should treat the bottom with an under coating in some way. The counsel I received locally indicated several coats of flexseal would be a good choice. So I brushed /scrubbed dirt and grime and then cut in and rolled on several coats of flexseal.

The result has me confident Ufudo's undercarriage will last another 34 years! And the trailer is "riding high & level" with her new axle. I am very pleased with how this turned out!
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Congrats on a job well done!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Great work Jo Ann!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Good move on the new axle, no doubt it was time. Floors tend to rot from the inside out. So watch for plumbing leaks along with windows and rivets.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote