I want 2 buy a 16 or 17 Foot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #1

Name: j
Trailer: Currently Shopping"
Alabama
I want 2 buy a 16 or 17 Foot

Scamper, Casita or Burro. Prefer it have a bath. (other Fiber glass models considered). Am located in Alabama. I can travel if the deal is reasonable and what I can use. will pay in cash or cashier check or? Will deal only with the rightful owner in person. Prefer to deal in a bank. You may email me back or phone 205 681 four seven four 9 Thank you for looking.
bubblelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might post a few hints about how new a unit you want, what condition you require re: Fixer to Turn key, how much weight you can tow and an approximate $$$ range. With 16-17' trailer prices currently ranging from about $3500 for a real fixer to over $40k for a week old Bigfoot, the range is very wide.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Alabama
Am looking to pay eight thousand dollars or more less. (About a 2005 +- year) Somewhat also depends on the expense in traveling to purchase the camper. Ipreviously pulled a 16 foot Casita with a 4 cylinder S10. (No problem) It weighed about 2200 lb. with the supplies in it. So 2200 should work. I prefer for the camper to have a 3500 lb. axle. The Casita I was using had the spindle to snap off the axle and ended up totalling the trailer and that's why I'm in the market. Hope this answered a question or two.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can also check this website for trailers. There are a lot to choose from.
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Alabama
Thanks Pam

I will certainly check it out
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #6

Hmmmm.... We just sold our 2003 Sonoma 4 cyl/5 speed because, with a towing limit of only 2000 lbs, (per owners manual) it prevented us from getting a trailer any larger than the three 13' ers we have owned. At about 1700 lbs, towing our Scamp was already a bit of a strain, especially on long hills. And 5th gear? Fergetit.

Here is a listing of actual typical weights for different trailers that may be helpful:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Anyway, your post originally said $4k, I think your update to $8k is much more realistic and, as prices are now falling, you should be able to find a nice 16-17'.

I also suggest that you watch the <<<fiberglass-rv-4 sale.com>>> site as well as <<<findanyrv.com>>>, which is also a consolidating site

But still, history shows that the 16' & 17' trailers quickly get a lot heavier, and a favorite topic hereabouts is concerns about towing over mfg. weight specifications.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bob raised a good point - its unfortunate that the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread doesnt include the year of the trailers. It seems to me in talking with folks with newer trailers than mine that a number of the brands get heavier the newer they are. Cant say why - change in moulds or axles or finishing products inside or more standard features or a combo of all.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #8

Alabama
About towing

is a good point. I found it to be a problem ifyou have to start off at the bottom of certain hills. Where I will go, aren't that much. (We don't get the chance to go often). If we were going to other places I would get something stronger.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #9

It's not as much a problem getting started, it's getting that train to stop in a hurry. Tow limits are more about stopping and safe handling, than climbing hills etc. And YES I know that most trailers have brakes as well, and some manufacturers address that and require those as well as a part of towing limits.

When you start out being over the rated limits you are opening a whole bag of safety related worms and, need I mention, many insurance companies don't think much of paying claims in accidents when the vehicle was being operated outside of manufacturers specifications. But you can always call yours and ask them what they think about the issue.

And, just recently a truck driver was sent to prison for manslaughter when his truck brakes couldn't stop his truck on a down-grade in Pasadena, CA, resulting ithe death of a teen-age girl and severe injuries to her father.

However it wasn't because of the brakes not being able to stop him that he was convicted, it was because he was driving an overloaded truck.....

Now some people will tell you about being a careful driver and everything will be OK and how they have been towing overweight for 35 years without problems and how the manufacturers towing limits are different in European or South American versions and how they are set low so you will buy a larger truck etc., etc.

It's like traffic laws, we break them every day, we take our chances and then we complain when we get a $550 ticket for a traffic camera violation. But, for the most part, they are there for good reason.
Like it or not, and the same should apply to tow limits.

And YES, this is my personal, rant and I approve of its contents

Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #10

Alabama
Thanks Bob. You have some real good points.