I'm a newbie looker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Looking
Wisconsin
Smile I'm a newbie looker

Hey everyone!! I am Sarah. I live in Wisconsin...and of course, I Love cheese and the Packers
I am looking for a fiberglass trailer that I myself could tow and do set up, just in case my honey isn't interested.
I am new to checking out campers but have narrowed down that I love the fiberglass ones the bestest ��
BUT, I do not know which ones are the best. I’m sure everyone has their own opinion but is there even a list that shows the comparison of them side x side??
Anywho...Glad to be here

Sarah
campfirequeen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Sarah! Everybody here will tell you that the one they have is the "bestest". I do not know of anybody who compiled a list of features for them all, but the home page gives you a great list with links to the manufacturers web pages. Take a look at them and hang out here to see what topics come up, what the complaints are, etc. Also look at the buyer's checklist on this site, it may give you a list of things that people pay attention to, whether looking or buying.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Welcome!
Bestest is relative, do you have a budget, what do you plan to tow with, what type of "camping" are you hoping to do are a couple questions that come to mind
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum. Many times members can help you narrow down decisions on which trailer will work for you. Let us know what your NEEDS and WANTS are. Are either you or your partner tall? Do you need a large bed? Do you neeed a shower/bath? What is your tow vehicle and what is it rated to tow?
What is your budget?
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
New or relatively new, or vintage? There were dozens of vintage brands out there, long gone of course. On new or relatively new, there are just a handful of manufacturers, and depending on size you are looking for, just a couple of choices. Floorplans, price, and included features and options separate the manufacturers nicely. There is very little overlap once you look closely. Scamp is different than Casita, that is different than Big Foot, that is different than Oliver, which is different than Little Snoozy. And so on.

Such a comprehensive list does not exist. If you see a demand for such a list, it could be an "opportunity" for someone to create one.

As far as which brand is best, its kind of like asking pickup truck owners which brand is best: Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Chevy, GMC? Surely there is a consensus..... Not.

And then you have specific needs each buyer might have: bed size, layout, simplicity, light weight, or whatever. The "best" for me could be the "worst" for you. Finally you have availability. If you want used, some brands rarely show up in the used market.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Sarah!

Dave's questions are the right place to start. Let us know more and we can point you toward specific brands and models.

Meantime here are some helpful resources on this site:
Trailer Weights in the Real World (a database of actual loaded weights; post #297 links to a spreadsheet)
Buyer's Checklist (a guide to inspecting a used unit)

And another useful website:
www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com (the largest classified site for molded trailers, mostly re-postings of Craigslist ads with a few direct listings; great place to see what's out there and what prices are like)

Happy "egg-hunting"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #7

Registry
Once you settle on a couple of brands and sizes, then at least in the USA, a craigslist nationwide search WILL turn up trailers that aren't on the fiberglass for sale website. This is how I found my recent Trillium that I picked up.

So there are gaps. At the same time, the fiberglass for sale site is a GREAT source for selling price. Just look at the sold listings, and although actual sales prices are not listed, I would estimate most have sold within about 10% of asking price.

I use www.searchtempest.com to search Craigslist.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Registry
You can quickly narrow down your focus by answering just a few questions:

1. Budget

2. Do you need a bathroom

3. Do you need AC

4. Do you want a bed separate from a dinette

5. Minimum bed size (don't trust descriptions, some trailers "full sized beds" are slightly larger than a twin, and no where near "full size")
Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
...at least in the USA, a craigslist nationwide search WILL turn up trailers that aren't on the fiberglass for sale website...I use www.searchtempest.com to search Craigslist.
Just be very cautious. A lot of molded fiberglass listings on Craigslist are scams. Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com (which is run by a forum member, by the way) does an excellent job of filtering out scams; searchtempest.com does not filter.

Most scams attract victims by offering an unusually low price. By following the ads (and sold archives) on this site and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, you will develop a sense of real market value, which will help you spot the scams.

But Bill is right- you'll probably have to wade directly into the wild world of Craigslist to be first in line for the best offerings, as there is typically a delay of 12-24 hours before they show up on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. By then the best are often taken.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Sarah and enjoy your search!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #11

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome Sarah. We have owned many different types and manufacturers of campers over the years. Each and everyone was the best for us at that given time. All of the Fiberglass trailers are of outstanding quality. You just have to look at all you can and determine what is the best for you.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The best of the fiberglass trailers is the one I own, but that's the one that works for my wife and I. After 13' years of using our little trailer we haven't seen anything we would rather have.

So I guess the answer to your question which one works the best for you and remember everybody is different.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #13

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Looking
Wisconsin
Hey Everyone...Thank you So much for the welcomes and advice. I actually look forward to the challenge of finding the bestest camper for our needs....that being said, we do have a blind handicap adult son that would be traveling with us and so I DO need a comfy bed situation that works for 3 people. Right now I have 2 SUV's that have 1) 3500 GVWR and 1) 4500 GVWR. I do also have a F250 but I hate that for driving on long trips..it'd be a nightmare.
I don't care if it's used (I actually would like something I can spruce up but my hubby really doesn't want me to get something like that because he knows I will just draw him in I actually would like one w/o a bathroom, I have no problems with a bucket but not sure if my son could handle that...he hasn't been "real" camping since his accident. From what I can see, I would buy an Oliver Independence twin bed in a heartbeat if I could afford it...ahhhhhh maybe someday, but for now, I just want something fun!!!
campfirequeen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #14

Registry
This is a molded FG camper forum. So not surprisingly, the solution is always a molded FG trailer. Most of us are convinced they are the best and no one should consider anything else.

Well for three adults with one handicapped, there are other choices. Molded FG campers tend to be smaller than other camping trailers and typically cost a lot more. They are really a niche product.

I have friends with a small hybrid camper? Is it as nice as my Escape 19? No. But it cost a lot less, can sleep five or six adults in comfort, has a bigger bath and a bigger kitchen. It fits their situation a lot better than a molded FG trailer. Will it last as long? No but it will probably last them until they are done camping.

Now my Escape 19 will fit three adults as long as you take the dinette down every day and turn it into a bed.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
trailer

Sarah It may be to late season but I suggest you visit a gathering somewhere in your region and take a look at several of the fiberglass trailers there. Egg folks are by and large very friendly and love to show off their trailers. You can look at pics and floor plans until you are blue in the face but actually seeing the trailers is IMHO the only way to go. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote