I'm finally an egg owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm finally an egg owner!

Hello,
Though I've read a lot on this site for years, this is my first post. I live in Maine, but was visiting my niece in NJ when I did my usual online search for a Scamp or Casita. I saw a 2007 13' Scamp for sale in North Carolina. I figured I was already half way there, and thus started my wild and crazy adventure. The logistics were a nightmare - seemingly impossible to overcome - but I persevered! I am now the proud owner (two weeks now)of this little gem that I am thinking of naming "pullet egg". (Unless it's already taken) I camped for many years while married, but I never camped by myself. And I missed it. I admit to being concerned that I won't be able to do some of the set-up stuff since I have issues with an arm and shoulder. Plus there's having to back this thing into a campsite *shiver*. But this dream wouldn't die, so I am determined to make it work. I look forward to joining in conversations with other enthusiasts and being part of this community!
Pam M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Hi Pam,

Welcome to the Forum. And congratulations on your new to you find.
Not to worry about the backing a trailer and all. That will come and there will be plenty of help. Campers are a great bunch of people.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the warm welcome

Hi Carl,
I agree that campers are very nice. That's part of what makes camping so special. And thanks for the info on checking for replies. It's all new to me!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats on the Egg from North Carolina. No, I mean I'm from North Carolina. My wife and I are also Scamp owners. Looks like a nice looking unit. You know sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit. I think you will be surprised at what you can do own your own. Find a big parking lot and practice backing. Easy way to remember is to hold the bottom of the steering wheel with your palm down. If you want the trailer to go left backing up; move the steering wheel to the left. If you want the trailer to go right move the steering wheel to the right. Get a couple of cones or buckets and set out and practice backing between them. If you find an empty parking lot; I don't think anyone would mind if you practice. It would surprise me if they did. You'll be a pro in no time. Good luck and remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. WELCOME
Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Welcome Pam! What a great adventure for you. I too, started alone and worried about doing many of the set-up and towing things. Just remember......we all started. That's the biggest step. Take your time.....don't hurry at anything.....do it at your own pace.

Have Fun!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
How exciting, yes this year I am planning on getting good at backing up also I think it just takes practice.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
congrats, from one Pam to another Pam
You'll have a grand time camping in your new Scamp
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #8

Congratulations - that's a sweet looking trailer! You'll do just fine with handling it - like anything new, it's all a bit intimidating until you've done the routine a few times, and then it's all pretty straightforward. Main thing for me is to take it a step at a time, and to not be shy about asking for help or advice. FiberGlassRV is a tremendous resource - if you need to know something, someone here will know, and be happy to help.
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #9

Name: Darilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Hi Pam! Congratulations! It seems we have a lot in common - we are both fabulous ladies who acquired 13' Scamps two weeks ago.. And the whole backing up thing kind of terrifies me, too! But keep the faith - I plan to do the parking lot practicing thing, as well, before I take her on our maiden voyage. I look fwd to reading about your coming adventures!!
- Lady d & the Scamp
Lady Darilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Pam, to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

You're among friends here and there's lots of kind and helpful people. I too can relate to the "backing into a site" anxiety. But you'll get there. Just remember, slow, slow, slow and small movements on the steering wheel. You'll get there and each time it becomes easier.

Have fun, make a ton of memories along the way!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If possible back in to the left, that way you can see the side of the trailer as you go. Pick or mark a spot on the ground where you want the wheel so you know where you're at. And remember "GOAL" "Get Out And Look" as much as necessary to avoid hitting anything, both on the ground and in the air like tree branches. Get a neighboring camper to watch for you. I did the parking lot thing with my daughter when I bought a popup for her, she learned pretty quick.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this will help too, it's a video. Direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post255708
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Good post Donna.
I use this technek & works great.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations on the Scamp. Back in 2004 I was in the same boat in regard to backing up. We went to a local campground the week before Memorial Day weekend. We were the only ones there. I spent Sunday morning backing into every site as well as backing along the curved roads. Find a place you can't hit anything big and practice. It won't take long. You'll get it. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats and Welcome! Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
What a nice looking Scamp. Welcome!!
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #17

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Nice looking Scamp. Although backing is challenging it's not daunting. As others have said go slow and easy. If it takes you dozens of tries at first, don't get flustrated with yourself. Some camp sites are easier than others.....some harder. I sometimes hold up people who are trying to get by me, if I get a long line, I just drive around the loop, come back, and try again. Also, my pride is such that if I need help, I ask for it (took many years to learn that lesson). Just enjoy!!
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
We'll be waving at you when we see you on the road! Welcome to the 'club' of FG egg camping enthusiasts. Yes, just take your trailer to an empty parking lot and practice for 15 minutes or a half hour; you'll soon be feeling confident.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #19

I'm taking notes

With all the well-wishes and helpful tips, I'm feeling more confident about backing up already! Let's see...hand on bottom of wheel-palm down, GOAL, the SCOOP, go slow, slow, slow and practice. Oh yes, and have patience with myself.

Although I've read from other owners how people go up and ask questions about their little fiberglass rv, I wasn't prepared for the attention I got towing mine home to Maine. Some walked up to ask about it at rest stops and when I stopped for gas, others drove up and unrolled their window to chat. While driving in CT a man with a big grin gave me the "peace" sign (not sure what that was about). My last service plaza stop was in Kennebunk, Maine. I saw two people taking a picture of my scamp. I'm basically shy, but I think traveling/camping in this will brake me out of my (egg) shell.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Welcome aboard from Texas
Here is a thread on the forum about backing up.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...l-53798-4.html
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote