I'm looking for a fiberglass trailer! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Cool I'm looking for a fiberglass trailer!

Hi all !
I'm a newbie , hope I like it.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Mark!

You'll find lots of great information on this site. Molded fiberglass trailers have some distinct advantages over conventionally-constructed RVs. Biggest is the lack of exterior seams, which means far fewer places for leaks to happen. That partly explains their longevity and high resale values.

They can also be lighter than conventional trailers of similar size, though not always as light as some sellers claim.

Two places to start your research are (1) the owner's manual of the vehicle you plan to tow with, which will spell out what your vehicle is designed to tow, and (2) the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World in the General Chat section, which will give you an idea of what trailers really weigh after you load them up.

As you dig in, ask lots of questions!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Washington
Thankyou

Will be moving to Oro valley AZ soon, that's y I need to find a rv.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Well, tell us what you will be pulling it with, year, make and model, and you will get some suggestions BTW: Don't forget to mention your approximate budget as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm looking for a fiberglass trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Will be moving to Oro valley AZ soon, that's y I need to find a rv.

Great place, but I'm not clear why moving there requires a trailer... Are you planning to winter there? Or full-time in a trailer? Personally I couldn't imagine living in an RV through an AZ desert summer. On the other hand, they have wheels, and there are cooler places in the state during the summer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #6

Washington
Smile Pulling vehicle

I will be pulling the trailer with a 2008 Toyota highlanders V6.

Im MOVING TO ARIZONA, I will be using the trailer to look for a house
to buy.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

It looks like the towing limit for your Toyota is 2000 lbs. but check your owners manual to verify that figure. That said, look at the real world weights of FGRV on this chart: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

You will see that you are pretty much limited to a 13' rig. Add to that, these really don't have that much freight carrying capacity and older ones are prone to sagging axles.

With all that good news I don't know what kind of help to offer.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #8

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
I think the 2008 Highlander V6 has a max tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. (when properly equiped). Max payload of 1800; 270 hp; 248 ft-lbs torque @ 4700 rpm. It should tow just about any FGRV made by Scamp, Casita, Escape, etc.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #9

Arizona
If you are moving to Oro Valley and intend to spend any part of a summer there in a trailer, make sure you get one with good AC! ;-)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
I think the 2008 Highlander V6 has a max tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. (when properly equiped). Max payload of 1800; 270 hp; 248 ft-lbs torque @ 4700 rpm. It should tow just about any FGRV made by Scamp, Casita, Escape, etc.
"When Properly Equipped" is a BIG caveat.

The standard towing capacity is 2000 lbs. and, with the optional towing package, it is 5000 lbs. But, what is in the optional towing package? It seems that no one on Toyota Nation or several other Toyota web sites seems to know. Perhaps a visit to a Toyota dealer with an empty credit card will produce an answer.

If the OP is able to determine that his vehicle is equipped with the optional towing package then he can use the higher number, until then it should be the lower number that's being looked at.

Odds seem to indicate that it won't...... But that's for the OP to deal with in an honest and safe manner.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport V6 that I use to tow my EggCamper. I have towed about 20,000 miles in the last 4 years.

I just pulled my file that has the original window sticker.

Here is what is says:
Tow Prep Package includes: 5000lbs towing capacity, Heavy Duty Radiator w/Engine Oil Cooler, 200 watt fan coupling, Transmission Oil Cooler w/Water Cooler, 150 amp alternator, and Pre-Wire Harness
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #12

Arizona
What Ms Gayle said! Plus, here's a link that explains how to easily find if your Highlander has the tow prep pks or not: Tow Prep Package Identification/Information - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Even if you have to add this stuff aftermarket, still cheaper than buying a new vehicle; specially if you like the Highlander you have!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

That's great information. I hope that it helps the OP. Thanks Everyone.