In search of unforgettable memories - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Yay! So happy it all worked out! You did well. Now enjoy.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Congrats! I've been away on vacation and just caught up on your thread. What part of OK do you live in? I'm in BA, a Tulsa suburb.

On a weekday, you should be able to get wheel bearings repacked within just a couple of hours. Plenty of options: an RV dealership, a trailer sales/service place, and most tire shops and mechanics' garages (the latter may not have new bearings on hand if needed, but they can obtain them). The bearings might be fine, but might not, so you're right to have them looked at; why take chances on a breakdown along the highway.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #31

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldphoto View Post
Thank you all for your replies!
Ya'll will get a chuckle, I have about 5-6 tabs open on my browser, and I hit the refresh button every hour or two... because I know we are going to have to jump on that deal! We have financing lined up with our bank, and should be able to hit the road over the weekend to head most anywhere. Luckily Oklahoma is central at least.

-Ginny
That's exactly how we scored our one year-old like new 17' Casita SD: me hovering over Craigslist like a traffic copter over five-car accident!
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #32

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
IMHO:

If you can afford to buy it, spend the money to get tires and wheel bearings done before you hook up, and tow it right.

"Oh, well, break out another thousand!"
--boat owner's saying

BEST
Old 07-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #33

Name: Chris
Trailer: '77 Trillium 1300
Oklahoma
Wow!

This post totally freaked me out! I've been looking for a Scamp 13' to tow behind my VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI...already got my trailer hitch and lighting kit hooked up. Wife and I are 39, and live in Oklahoma! What are the odds?! Maybe there's a larger group of "our generation" wanting to get camping, who knows? I figured we were oddballs until I saw your post, and another guy I found who is in the same group.

Can't wait to hear more about your trailer! If you're close to Tulsa at all, I'd be super grateful if we could peek in it just to see if 13' is too small or not! I'd even pay you $5. ha!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:58 AM   #34

Oklahoma
Hi Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Congrats! I've been away on vacation and just caught up on your thread. What part of OK do you live in? I'm in BA, a Tulsa suburb.

On a weekday, you should be able to get wheel bearings repacked within just a couple of hours. Plenty of options: an RV dealership, a trailer sales/service place, and most tire shops and mechanics' garages (the latter may not have new bearings on hand if needed, but they can obtain them). The bearings might be fine, but might not, so you're right to have them looked at; why take chances on a breakdown along the highway.
The wife and I live in Coweta, so we're neighbors! Very cool! What kind of trailer do you pull? We don't have one yet, still trying to figure out what we want. Just know we need 13' for weight.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #35

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
Hey all!!!
We are home, SAFE AND SOUND. The new tires were great, however I Was unable to get the bearings done on the road, so that is my project for this week... More questions to come on that in a later thread. Not ideal to have driven all that way without the work, but I will count us blessed, and never ever do it again. I think we dodged a bullet, and I certainly don't like to tempt fate twice.

The trailer pulled like a scamp champ... barely noticible behind our oddessy (they are almost the same size)... Just a moderate dip in gas mileage.

Like I said, lots of questions to come, but I'll start separating them out into properly titled threads.

For those in OK who want to maybe take a look, we are in Norman.

-Ginny
Old 08-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Awesome! Glad all went well. Did you get to camp in the trailer at all?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #37

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
Jon, we did sleep the last night of our trip in the camper. Very informal... just plugged in the A/C... didn't crank up any thing else.

We stayed cold (an impressive feat for being 150 yards from the Mississippi river in Arkansas in July) and slept pretty well!

Going to get some work done, and hope to go out for a real camping trip in 2 weekends.. something local, just to try it all out!

-Ginny
Old 08-02-2016, 03:24 AM   #38

Oklahoma
Awesome!!

So glad you got it and made it home! When I'm out your way next, I'll shout.

I've been searching for my own, and put a "hold" deposit on a '77 Trillium 13' yesterday! So I'm excited about that. Will try and pick it up in the next week or two (Massachusetts, 24 hour drive from here). I'd like to get it home and scrub it up and see if I've made a mistake. Ha!

I'll post a new thread about it since I have lots of questions. So happy for you guys! Congrats!!!!